Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Whats the going rate for a Cream Tea ?
  • oldfart

Admittedly it’s a posh place but cyclists are welcome according to the sign (as long as we sit outside which wasn’t hard today !).Combe House Hotel Holford gert lush cream tea was £5.75 now gone up to £6.50 thats an increase of almost 15% !”!!!!!Back to sarnies methinks ! 😥
    God i miss Stella !!!!

GW
    Free Member

overpriced, it’s a tourist thing afterall.. get over it!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Combe House put mango pieces in their scones – sacrilege!

God i miss Stella !!!!

I miss her buns and her easy manner. Her garden gate was always open.

scaredypants

I miss her buns and her easy manner. Her garden gate was always open

who wouldn’t miss a girl like that ?!
    Could she do things with clotted cream that’d make yer blood run cold, too?

cinnamon_girl

oldfart – you think that’s bad? At the Swinley Forest Cafe, singletrackmind bought a muffin and a hot chocolate – £4. 😯

Actually I’m fed up getting ripped off these days and happily bring my own sarnie.

For £6.50 I would give it a miss unless the scones are amazing.

Edit: mango pieces? Why?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Maybe their prices are related to the amount of sunshine 🙄

AdamW
    Free Member

I bet they used defrosted scones and squirty cream too.

That’s another thing that is going on my list to ban when I take over the world, along with ‘pies’ that are just a pot of something with a bit of flaky pastry on top and almonds.

The world will be a much better place when I take over!
    😆

Drac

You think that’s bad, on Saturday on a group ride I had a Bacon and Brie sarnie, pot of coffee and ginger cake. It cost me about £6. 😆

Sandwich

Single scone cream tea round out way is currently £3.50, using rhoddas clotted cream too. (Just the right size for this stereotypical STW rider. Almost a diet version!)

Dibbs
    Free Member

Tarr Steps on Exmoor is the place for cream teas, but split one between two people or you’ll never be able to ride up the hill out of the place 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Pickwick’s tea rooms at Selworthy – one Devon style, one Cornish style

After plugging up and bombing down trails on Selworthy Beacon a few times, I felt I deserved it 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

The one on the left just looks so wrong 🙂
    Tarr Steps scones are the size of that plate.

binners

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Muffins?
    Cream teas?
    Buttered scones?
    Tea Rooms?

No wonder they’re having you over. They probably think you’re all got senile dementia! 🙄

A pint of wifebeater and a packet of crisps is the answer to all questions. Especially in this weather. Floury baps are also acceptable.

*walks off shaking head and tutting loudly*

pegglet
    Free Member

ah,lucky me. i,v got Earsham hall just out of bungay suffolk. scones,size of yorkshire rascals freshly baked each morning,day before scones given to the peacocks, fresh cream ,perfectly whipped by ginger haired giggly bombshell(got to be careful here, i,m 53 she,s not,cough etc) top quality tiptree jam proper butter,not in foil stuff. loose leaf assam, come to think of it ,screw work i,m off for ride an scone……oh yeh and they cost £2.50 for scone kit and £2.00 for giant pot of the tea+topup! life is good etc

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You think that’s bad, on Saturday on a group ride I had a Bacon and Brie sarnie, pot of coffee and ginger cake. It cost me about £6.

Last week we took the kids to Eureka learning museum and my wife bought a chicken sandwich. It cost a mighty £6. For Just A Sandwich.

😯

binners

That’s what you get for going to Yorkshire Mastiles. Just be grateful the kids made it out alive. They eat children on sandwiches there. Are you sure it was chicken….?

😀

cinnamon_girl

buzz – lovin’ the bone china. 😀 Makes it all taste so much better, seriously!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tarr Steps scones are the size of that plate.

Ooohhh blimey I want one of those.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

It’s a West Country thing, along with rough cider and liberalism.

knottie8
    Free Member

Oldfart…
    Try the pub in Holford for a cream tea and beer.

Harry_the_Spider

Last week we took the kids to Eureka learning museum and my wife bought a chicken sandwich. It cost a mighty £6. For Just A Sandwich.

We thought about going to Eureka until we saw the prices. We’d have to sell the kid to afford the admission, which kind of defeats the object.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I actually started a cream tea group on facebook a couple of summers ago I made it my mission to have one everywhere we went I tried to do it every weekend but failed in my mission.

In the Lakes in one place they actually gave me blackcurrant jam…. can you imagine my horror 😯

The cream tea at the lower barn at Rivington in Horwich is good value its about £3.50 for a large home made scone, jam, fresh cream and a cup of Earl Gray

*is well posh*

crazy-legs

The cafe at Grizedale does a rather good cream tea, proper cream, reasonable prices and a good sized scone.
    Can’t beat a good cream tea, it’s the perfect post-ride food.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The one good thing about Eureka is that the one admission gets you in for a year though. So it is ideal if you are local as there is plenty to keep kids entertained – but I would be very disappointed if we were travelling a long way with little chance of going again.

Next time we go we are taking a packed lunch.

ART

£6.50!!!! 😯 Did you say something? i always think Combe House looks too posh for us anyhow, I will however, have to getting baking this weekend as those pics are making me hungry… 8)

hilldodger
    Free Member

Cream Teas, Bone China, Bacon & Brie 😆

binners +1 I’m afraid 😉

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Depends if the pub does monster munch and proper cider rather than magners or strongbow (contains no apples)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ah Stella’s, RIP. Cream tea for one = Two scones, lashings of cream and jam, AND a HUGE slice of cake, plus a great pot of tea. We went there twice in one ride once.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

binners – Member

Floury baps are also acceptable.

Nigella baking?

trailmonkey

*mods please file under – middle class outrage #5458438*

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have noting to add here but this:
    tea by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

From the first day of out cycle touring holiday last year. We were VERY hungry (I miscalculated the distance a bit and we were short of food 😳 )
    But the campsite had a tea room. They gave doggie bags/pots to take away what you couldn’t eat it was so big! (We ate the scones, bought 2 more and took the spare cream and jam away for the next days ride!
    (Note size of pile of cream compared to size of cup!)

😀

EDIT
    This is the place:
    http://www.westcountry-camping.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=60

bagpuss72
    Free Member

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

you get one free, home-made scones and all, if you stay at my place…

http://www.littlebeachhouse.co.uk

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Whats the going rate for a Cream Tea ?’ is closed to new replies.