Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • What's the 'gnarliest' place you've ridden with a child trailer..?
  • sc-xc

It’s the neck I’d be more worried about. But hey ho.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

scxc – so what do you put them in in your car?

winterfold
    Free Member

TJ – you must be thinking of something quite different to the trailer I had. It had no neck support whatsoever.

Happy to be proven wrong if someone is making a trailer with sufficient neck support – anyone got a link? (or has put a decent baby seat in a trailer and fixed it in v strong )

Just to reiterate I do think the natural risk taking of kidd should be encouraged. Once they can ride take them on trails, see if they want to do drops etc as soon as you think they can – but IMO they should assess risk and make their own choices – once they can ride without stabilisers they can make the call.

But… Each to their own 🙂

sc-xc

Going round in circles here. Each to their own, but I wouldn’t have put my kids in a trailer at <6 months for the reasons that have been articulated already by cleverer people than me. I’m sure you could all argue me down, and I guess I am just saying what I wouldn’t do.

Anyway. Got a bank holiday to look forward to…have a great weekend everybody!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

winterfold – you put the same seat you would use in a car in teh trailer.

SCXC – but you would put them in a car? Where if something goes wrong the forces on them would be much higher due to the much higher speeds?

iain1775
    Free Member

A REAR facing child seat TJ that is surrounded by metal, airbags and a structure designed and tested to crumple and dissipate as much of the crash forces before they reach the occupants inside
    Totally the opposite to a trailer on a bike most of which are not designed to fit a car seat in without potentially more dangerous modification
    There are other considerations such as ground clearance and shocks but probably lost on you
    Your comparison is similar to an egg in an eggbox, compared to one kept in a bucket
    As for posting a pic of what maybe goes on abroad, I’m not aware of any red graded bermed trails with table tops on their daily trek to the shops
    Regardless of rights or wrongs still struggling tonunderstand why people would risk it all for the sale of waiting a few months

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

because intelligently assessed the risk is tiny. a car needs all those things because of the far greater forces involved.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what sc-xc and iain say

GW
    Free Member

SBZ – Ah, the chariot Air 540 trailer, I see you’ve taken the pegs off 😉

You should not ever put a helmet on a child under a year – their neck is not strong enough. One of the things that LHS and I agree on on helmets.

TJ – where do you get all your “rules” on parenting from?
    I wouldn’t ever put a helmet on a child who’s neck isn’t strong enough but I have put a helmet on a child under a year old.
    they’re not the same thing as children’s development is not as cut and dried as you seem to think.
    I wouldn’t put a helmet on any child in a trailer at all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough GW. Its about neck strength.

winterfold
    Free Member

TJ if that could be fond securely then it’s prob nodifferent to car seat or copilot etc

Is that the case in most of these examples though?

I am happy to concede the point that you could make a trailer that could go down a blue run as safely as putting the sprog in a car seat.

I just wouldn’t do it myself with a baby – as a previous poster said – its only a few months – and the missus ain’t going anywhere so leave her to it…

<gets coat>

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘What's the 'gnarliest' place you've ridden with a child trailer..?’ is closed to new replies.