Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • What's the 'gnarliest' place you've ridden with a child trailer..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

As above. Am struggling to ride without daughter so gonna have to look at more interesting places to ride with the trailer in tow.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I did the non trailer friendly route at Haldon forest and it was hard! lots of opportunities to tip the trailer all the way along, but doable, then I tipped the trailer on the family friendly route, got careless. But the trailer friendly route is fun and smooth enough for a trailer.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

GT red, and freeride areas, bits of innerleithen. Plenty of places in the highlands etc.

tazzymtb

liverpool

ashfanman
    Free Member

GT red, and freeride areas, bits of innerleithen. Plenty of places in the highlands etc.

You rode the GT freeride bit with a child trailer? Awesome. Please tell me you hit the wallride too… 😆

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The wallride wasnt there at the time and I had a 1month old baby and am 18month old in the trailer. Got some decent air though.

GW
    Free Member

if you mean something people might actually know, the easy freeride at Glentress including that wooden roller coastery chute thing.
    I’ve rolled child trailers a few times riding local trails. They’re pretty safe/sturdy things.

GW
    Free Member

The wallride wasnt there at the time and I had a 1month old baby and am 18month old in the trailer. Got some decent air though.

No you didn’t!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

OK – I must have dreamt that bit then. 🙄

GW
    Free Member

clearly (once the dust settled 😉 )

rustler
    Free Member

Can appreciate a story that has probably grown in the telling, but anyone who genuinely sticks a month old baby in a trailer & takes it off road should have their parenting skills addressing.

tomaso
    Free Member

Kirroughtree last year and broke my youngest collar bone and felt a right git and the wife topped that up with a good measure of you stupid ****. My advice is to avoid the gnar and embrace the tame.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

rustler – why do you jump to that conclusion?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Because one month old babies haven’t developed enough neck strength to support their own head yet, and can suffer brain and neck injuries very easily.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Scienceofficer you dont say. What makes you think that this issue wasnt addressed though?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

How? Please elaborate.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

A seat, harness and trailer that is designed to do the job perhaps.

sc-xc

Have you got a link SBZ? We could do with one in the future, and when I last looked I couldn’t find anything suitable for under 6 months 🙁

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m struggling to imagine a product available for such a young child infant. Perhaps you could post a link to this product?

Mine are a bit older now, but when I was going through a similar stage, I couldn’t find anything on the market that would go as low as 1 month.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Look up chariot’s website, baby slings especially. Just because they say that they arent suitable for under 6 months old doesnt mean that they arent suitable for under 6months old.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

‘Just because they say that they arent suitable for under 6 months old doesnt mean that they arent suitable for under 6months old’

Bless.

Just because they fit in doesn’t mean they should. Still, everyones free to assess their own risks. Thanks for telling us the product.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

And just because some people frown upon certain things it doesnt mean that you shouldnt do them. I think it’s called making a rational decision based upon personal knowledge.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You’re right, but don’t defend your decision on the basis of ‘because I used the right equipment’ and when called on it, have to admit that even the manufacturer says don’t go under 6 months.

😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

sbz – troll or cock? you decide!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

But the manufacturer says it’s for use from 0-10months. And that their advice is based on their personal experience. That suggests that as trailer manufacturers they aren’t in that great a position to advise on paediatric musculotskeletal integrity and durability unlike say a long qualified physio.

EdwardH

I had a chariot CX2 around some of Glentress red and most of the blue, it has been round Carron Valley full loaded with both my boys in and has always been bloomin good fun for all concerned. My eldest was first in the chariot in the sling at 3 months, I managed to roll it when he was 4 months old on one of my local trails. Mum wasn’t best please to come round a corner to find me pulling the upside down trailer out of a ditch. Young H was fine and used to yell for more speed when he started talking, also the rougher the trail the more likely they are to fall asleep. According to my wife it will more often than not be up on one wheel on fire road corners.

I have pushed the trailer in buggy mode up Ben Lomond and the Cobbler, as well as doing some big long days out on the bike with it.

You will be amazed at what you can get them up – and down. You can use them in buggy mode and wander round the shops, they are an absolutely brilliant piece of kit.

The only problem we have with the trailer, is that now the boys are two and four they fight like mad when in the trailer, a tag along is soon to be purchased.

CHB

I did the northshore at Dixons Hollow (dalby) with my daughter and trailer bike on the back. Made some os the tight turns interesting!

Brycey
    Free Member

SBZ – I’m fairly sure you’re trolling, however re-read the Chariot bumf. It says something like “don’t use in bike-trailer mode below 6 months”. I’d be very wary of head jiggling about on anything but perfect asphalt.

I got one a couple of weeks ago and it’s the best £600 I’ve ever spent on bike kit. Wasn’t half as bad up the hills as I expected with baby, changing bag, and picnic on board. Seems really stable and smooth at speed, and suspension is basic but effective. I’d highly recommend one.

I got the standard issue other-half bolloking rolling mine on Friday right enough.

LoCo
    Free Member

sbz she says she going to ‘own’ you (still a bit too small to weild the bombers 😉

IMG00113-20101029-1346 by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

jedi

i rode the red bull at cyb with my 3yr old as she was back then on a tag along 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Parts of Morzine (valleys, not up top) Montriond etc.

some easy double track in provence

and gnarl pub-lite stylee

loddrik
    Free Member

I think I’ll try her out at the clwyds next week. I reckon llandegla could be just the ticket too.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Who is it has the picture of them towing their kid on a trailer round a berm?

igm

I came down Les Gets 4X with larger little one on a LOCT seat – only to be told at the bottom someone had done it with a bike trailer the year before.

I’m not recommending it though.

Stoner
    Free Member

SBZ – that, I think was postierich with his daughter in the bumby (or whatever its called)

igm

Stoner is correct – ’twas on my “Dadcore” thread (which bombed by the way – most of my threads do)

Here

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

rustler – why do you jump to that conclusion?

Erm, because you’re a boring, self-confessed (and not very good) troll? 😕

Just a thought, like…

Junkyard
    Free Member

long qualified physio

how many mths does it take to be long qualified?
    Thought you had given up this sort of stuff
    Rivvington

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

In my wifes case 4yrs to get her degree and 8yrs working full time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get a grip chaps – my mother rode ( carried her bike) over black sail pass pregnant with my sister and crashed her bike while pregnant with me

didn’t do either of us any harm.

you are quite happy to put your kids in cars – where the speeds are much higher but you won’t risk jostling hem in a trailer? Be realistic FFS

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘What's the 'gnarliest' place you've ridden with a child trailer..?’ is closed to new replies.