Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • What's the furthest you've ridden /driven in a day?
  • zippykona

I’ve done 500 on my motorbike. No doubt someone’s doubled it.
    Where we’re you going?

greggparker9
    Free Member

Southampton to Aviemore +/- 600 miles up Saturday afternoon, ski Sunday and then drove home circa 1200 mile round trip!

druidh
    Free Member

I once did around 850 miles on the way back from Bologna to the UK. That was just to get to the ferry terminal. We then had to go up the M2 to London before we got a nights kip.

That was on a Ducati.

img008 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

martymac

done about 740, dunfermline to knebworth and back.
    A1 was closed with a 5 hr diversion, so on the way back i went M1/M6 instead, which was queued up because everyone else had the same idea.
    ended up taking 23hrs, a good percentage of which was in 1st gear.
    32mph average.
    there are some humans who can do that on a bicycle!

monogramman
    Free Member

Cheshire to cosenza southern Italy in 2 days 1670 miles total.

So about 800 miles in 1 day – absolutely exhausting considering I was just sat down!

therag
    Free Member

S.Wales – Morzine last week. 840 miles. 16 hours

donsimon
    Free Member

Bordeaux to Shrewsbury, with the only non drive time being on the Calais to Dover ferry. 🙁

Brycey
    Free Member

0300 hrs: depart Alpe d’Huez, France
    2000 hrs: arrive Dunoon, Scotland

1,120 miles, it was a sore one. Shared the driving with one other and ate a bit of sausage every 100km as a treat. Never again!

wwaswas

Orlando to Washington dc in one go.

restless
    Free Member

I drove from Disneyland Paris to Nottingham, took over 14 hrs because of severe snow problems on the M1 a few yrs ago, traffic was stuck for ages.
    Dont know how many miles it was though.

john_drummer
    Free Member

621km Calgary to Kamloops en route to Vancouver (a further 430km the next day), 2009, by car – I think it was a smallish Pontiac but I can’t remember, it was that good. only me driving.

amazing scenery even though I didn’t really get to see that much of it, too busy concentrating on not falling off the road in some of the mountain passes

return trip a few days later, Vancouver – Lake Louise 794km in one go, then Lake Louise to Calgary airport 200km the next day

better planning would have had the return flight from Vancouver & an extra night in town, but I booked the flights long before I knew where we were staying (other than 2 nights in Calgary for my sister’s wedding)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dallas, TX to Crested Butte, CO. around 98 I think. In a shitty Pontiac Grand Am.

No idea how long. Reckon it was over the thousand though?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Disneyland Paris to Sunderland. About 600 miles, with a one year old and a four year old in the back.

stucol
    Free Member

By ridden do we mean motorbike or bike ?

By car, Reading to Glasgow (tedious but not really that far).

Cycled, 165 miles, utterly knackered and could barely walk the next day.

zippykona

Was meaning powered vehicles but human powered welcome.

grahamt1980

Cambridge to Alpe d’huez from about 5 am to 5pm, not sure how far, I know it was about 800 miles on the french side, so probably about 1100 in total, was knackered for about 2 days afterwards.

nickdavies

South of Oslo – Birmingham in one go (about 26 hours all in). 1600km back with a few hours stop in Denmark due to a breakdown and 3 short ferries along the way. Longest unbroken section would be the 850km across mainland Europe from Fehmarn to Dunquerke. Epic drive….

dirtyrider
    Free Member

paris to benicassim (for a festival) – 830 miles there and back in a week

scunthorpe to st-jean d’aulps (morzine) – 815 miles there and back in a weekend, had come home 5 weeks prior and had to drive there and back to collect my bikes

scunthorpe to alpe d’huez – 834 miles – megaavalanche 2010

TheFlyingOx

Dundee to Bradford to RAF Cranwell back to Bradford in a 7.5 tonne lorry. Was L……O……N……G……. day

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Cambridge to Alpe d’huez from about 5 am to 5pm, not sure how far, I know it was about 800 miles on the french side

gewt lost on the french side?

br
    Free Member

Friday evening – 400 miles = Dusseldorf to Aylesbury
    Monday morning – 550 miles = Aylesbury to Frankfurt

My flight had been cancelled, so hired a car (E class on German plates), topped 250km’s a few times, including once in UK 🙂

transapp
    Free Member

Bath – Leicester – Dover – Germany / Poland boarder and then straight back (well, u dd stop for nearly 30 mins in Poland…). Took from Friday 12:30 till Sunday 23:00 with 2 4 hour sleeps. Oh, and the whole drive was done with a glider trailer on the back so limited to absolute max of 70mph… Total distance of about 2200 miles.

goon
    Free Member

Drove home from my dad’s near Cahors last year. Left at about 15:00, back in Staffs before 08:00.

791 solo miles.

If the engine was running, I did a mile a minute.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Motorbike about 700 miles, Germany to Leeds

Car over 1,100 miles, Leeds to Palamos, Spain.

All the above had breaks for fuel and ferry/ tunnel

Gulf war, in trucks, we ran for weeks on end changing with the co-driver when you were totally exhausted. You then slept in the passenger seat or on the load (no beds in military trucks). We never stopped unless to fuel or load up and off you went again. Plenty of people falling asleep at the wheel but few accidents as not much to crash into in the desert. Most accidents were in the loading and unloading

brakes
    Free Member

about 800 miles from Morzine to Doncaster after a week of riding.
    I nearly fell asleep at the wheel a couple of times 😯 but that was through the monotonous corn fields of northern France.

done bigger distances (over 1,000 miles) in a car when driving across America but that was sharing the driving.

takisawa2

When my old man moved to Wales I did three back to back runs Bham to Newquay & back. 840m in 24hrs. Luckily he was in the sticks so unloading the truck at 3am was ok.

_tom_
    Free Member

Not very far at all compared to some of you, about 220 miles which was Forest of Dean and back. Worth it!

retrorick

I’ve done a few 500 mile days on the motorbike, avg around 50mph so long days.
    Rode Yeovil to Rammy on the road in one go 225 miles on a mtn bike with front and rear panniers weighing in at 65lbs, set off at 9am and arrived home around 2am. Previously hit 197m touring in France in a day and was a bit annoyed that i didn’t cross the 200 barrier that time but there was a campsite and it was after 11pm when i stopped.

Rick.

andytherocketeer

As a passenger… 1100km (give or take a few), from Moscow to Samara (and the same to go back again). 18 hours each way in a Lada, and no motorways!

As a driver… 972km (seems more than I expected), from Bovec to Frankfurt via Ljubljana.

By human power… 100.00km (rode round the block for a warm down to make the computer click over 😉 ), from back home to Eastbourne.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve done Liverpool to Denia, just south of Valencia, 1500 miles, in a day. I was hammering it all the way!!!

JoeG
    Free Member

About 1050 miles in one day, 1500 in a day and a half.

It was because of 9/11. I was in San Antonio, Texas for a 2 day seminar/class on Mon & Tues. I was supposed to fly back home Wed AM, but 9/11 happened and all civilian aircraft were grounded for more than a day. Well, most people flew in, so we couldn’t leave and others couldn’t get there so most of us stayed for another 2 days of classes. I still couldn’t even get through by phone to the airline on Thurs afternoon, so I wasn’t going to be able to fly home anytime soon.

After we finished that Thursday, I got into a rental car (maybe 5 PM) and drove to Texarkana on the Texas/Arkansas state line (about 450 miles) and got a hotel room for about 4 hours. Lost one hour due to time zone change, got up, drove the 1050 miles or so home to the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. Got in around midnight Friday.

racefaceec90

well 6 weeks after i passed my driving test (when i was 18),me and my grandfather drove from devizes to edinburgh in a day (stopping off at lancaster to visit my uncle).
    my grandfather was born in edinburgh (used to stay with his sister).i loved those holidays 😀

HansRey

as a passenger: Hull to Barcelona, sat above the radiator on a bus. Took about 24hrs.

as a driver: not too far. Only Sheffield to Poole (UK Bike Park) and back.

as a pedal biker: around 190km. Eindhoven to Nijmegen via Utrecht

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dartford to Alps 600 miles or so
    Melrose SA to Canberra 800 miles over 2 days
    melbourne to adelaide 500 miles

nothing crazy

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve done Liverpool to Denia, just south of Valencia, 1500 miles, in a day. I was hammering it all the way!!!

Me & a mate once did from Durham to Benidorm in about 27 hrs, more or less non stop. This was straight after a summer Polaris event. He actually drove from Calais to Benidorm & I was feeding him Pro Plus tablets & Red Bull!
    Farthest for me was however far it is from Montpellier to Calais, did it in 10.5 hrs.

colournoise

Nice choice of car Goon.

Longest drive I’ve done was modest by some standards here – Peterborough to Inverness with no stops except for fuel. It was done in a 2CV with no radio though!

slainte 😳 rob

juan
    Free Member

Southampton to Nice in 24h00 or better put Dieppe to Nice in 12h00.
    On angela, went from my place to a small village in Savoie, I only allowed me 30 kms of motorway on the morning and the evening to the rendez voous point. Then it was in correct order:
    Vallée de la tinnée, col de la Bonnette, col de Vars, col de l’Isoar, col du Lautaret, col du Galibier down to St jean la maurienne, up to le col de la Croix de Fer, col du Glandon, Allemond, le Lautaret, l’Isoar, le Vars, la cayolle, supper at St Martin d’entraune at friends and then back home through les gorges du Daluis in “I just follow the light in Front of me” mode. Took a bit more than 12h00, but we stop for both lunch and supper

piemonster

752 miles to Les Prodains, just outside little engla… I mean Morzine

Pigface
    Free Member

2 weeks ago did Dunkirk to central Sweden which was about 900 miles including some stupid detours around huge traffic jam in Germany. It was doable because it was so light in Sweden during the night.

In Australia did Perth to a mine about 250 miles east of Meekathara, that was in a Mk1 Land Cruiser towing a trailer. Took about 16hrs, that was really tough.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I driven a few times from Kirkcady in Fife to near Limoges in France in one hit. It’s a bit over 1000miles.
    Leaving just after the evening rush hour from Fife, the roads are almost clear. Catch an early morning ferry from Dover, still early on the French side again on empty roads. Lane discipline is far better there so easy to bash on.

A mate and I drove back from Les Gets to Hamilton and then Kirkicaldy swapping drivers. Our average speed on the trip computer was nearly 70mph. 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘What's the furthest you've ridden /driven in a day?’ is closed to new replies.