Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Whats the fastest you have been on your bike under your own steam?
  • tails
    Free Member

So on a flat road, sprinting as hard as you can, how fast have you been? Personally have no idea but I'm interested.

igm

About 30mph (road bike) – but then I'm fat, slow and honest.

alexonabike

I hit 52kph going down a tarmac hill towing my trailer on my inbred- rather irresponsibility overtaking cars.

Much fun.

willy
    Free Member

thats cheating using a hill

tails
    Free Member

thats cheating using a hill

Slogo
    Free Member

here we go i love these threads.

timber

fast enough to overtake a big tractor at full chat, in the days before compact drive chainsets, spinning my 48 ring, rumbling along on 2.1 smokes

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Around 30 maybe a bit over on the tandem on 36 /11 top gear and 2.3 tyres. Absolutly flat out sprint

colande
    Free Member

dunno, but have constantly tried to set off a speed camera on a slow decline (canonbury rd, highbury and islington)
    never accomplished it to my disappointment,
    has anyone ever set off a speed camera?

tails
    Free Member

fast enough to overtake a big tractor at full chat, in the days before compact drive chainsets, spinning my 48 ring, rumbling along on 2.1 smokes

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can break the speed limit on road bike, cannot on MTB – well perhaps for a nano second.
    Downhill.
    48.2 mph off road though GPS to prove it we did not realise how fast we were going till we had to break for a wall and all shredded our brakes!!!
    50 +on road – very scary

Smee
    Free Member

Absolutely no idea.

flip
    Free Member

I've rode 35mph on the flat on a road bike, with a slight tail wind. It feels like yer flying, track people do this for ages…

45mph down hill on the road 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

more than 28mph but thats all i know …

simply because ive averaged more than 28 in a 10TT

ive been silly fast on a hill but that doesnt count …

aracer
    Free Member

has anyone ever set off a speed camera?has anyone ever set off a speed camera?

No – but I reckon it's more a problem of radar cross section than speed. Must get round to making myself a radar reflector (there's a camera on the flat after a downhill I reckon I can do 35mph past with the wind in the right direction).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We set off one of those radar triggered 30 mph illuminated signs but we were not able to set off a gatso

AndyP
    Free Member

Mach 4.2
    cheers
    Glupton

aracer
    Free Member

There's one of those 30 signs I can consistently set off just down the road. Crucially the trigger speed is also a tad lower for those.

lazlo53
    Free Member

not the fastest (because this thread's been on before) but 72kph on a hardtail heading north on the Kjoler (Iceland) with full panniers and a howling gale behind. The bike was bouncing like **** and I felt like a trail god for 10 minutes (that is if trail gods ever feel like they've s**t themselves?)

0091paddy
    Free Member

38mph when pulling through for a turn at the end of a reliability trial.

59mph somewhere in the peaks going down a hill..

speaker2animals

I seem to remember getting and holding on my bike computer 31mph for about half a mile on a road bike. TBTH it was after a slight descent that got me over 30+ but my own power that kept me there. Down a hill on a road which I knew had no junctions I hit 63mph on my RB. I've also hit 55 on road on a rigid MTB coming off the Roches towards Leek.

This doesn't allow for inaccuracy of computer calibration but I feel certain error is no more than +\- 10% and I think closer to +\-5%.

brakes
    Free Member

I hit 42mph on an Marin Palisades Trail when I was about 15 going along a flat road on the NY moors near Scaling Damn, furious wind blowing behind – mate on a road bike hit 52mph

megastream
    Free Member

49.8MPH down River Hill in Sevenoaks on my road bike 😯

andytherocketeer

52mph on roadbike
    54kph on HT
    1031.9km/h uphill according to a GPS track I recorded 😉
    http://www.everytrail.com/fullscreen.php?trip_id=132581 (might need to hit the Trip Stats button)
    PS it used to say 225.3km/h before Everytrail changed their processing/filtering.

0091paddy
    Free Member
    Smee
    Free Member

Come to think of it I once did 47mph through the golf course at Innerleithen.

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

41 mph on a run down to the chalet in the french alps, on a dh rig. I didn't believe it when I was shown and insisted on a re run the next day, It was correct. It was at the end of the week and the center strip of the tyre was bald as you like. Overtaking cars on some sections 😯

stoney
    Free Member

38mph over a flat sprint roughly 1/4 mile and 60 down Dunmail into Grassmere.
    I now have bigger gears then when i did this 😆

dreednya

48 mph down the hill from Nant-yr-arian to home on Heckler with 2.4 tyres, keeping an eye out for sheep!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

$3 nanomascerls

flatback
    Free Member

once coming out of cardiff in heavy traffic on a 4 lane wide section of raod that becomes 6 lanes we needed to turn right i was riding with the welsh road race champ and last years champ,we was single file and doing just over 40 mph i was just hanging on to the back,as we overtook many cars, looking at motorists faces as we went past them at over 40 on bikes on the flat was a real picture,i can still remember one lady looking up then at her speedo then back at me as we went past, o to be young and fit again

ojom
    Free Member

how did you manage to see someone look at her speedo and concentrate on going 40mph? skills.

Rochey
    Free Member

I did a 20.58 for a 10 mile TT, average over 30mph i think, and when I lived in Kent I went down Delting Hill at topped 68MPH.

Beat that ; )

Gephaudio
    Free Member

49.8 mph down the otherside of Ditchling Beacon during the London to Brighton bike ride 2009
    Un verified 56 mph down into Eastbourne, past the Eastbourne Downs Golf Club on the A259
    Overtook a bloke on a moped once, the effort nearly killed me but the look on his face…

nockmeister
    Free Member

54mph road bike, down hill…VERY scary

Smee
    Free Member

Rochey – Are you sure that 20.58 for a 10TT gives you an above 30mph average?

rickmeister

82kmh. Self Propelled off road.

Well, I ate the pies and gravity acted on my body so in essence, its all my own work……

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

50.4mph coming down the wiggly road from the kirkstone pass into ambleside, on knobblies in the wet. decided afterwards it was a bit silly given the circumstances.

Did a 10TT run by Reading Wheelers (?) a couple of years ago, starts at the top of a very big hill, I was doing 48mph after 27sec when the magnet on my Polar speedo slide down the spoke – had not reached terminal velocity by this stage so would have been doing well over 50, shame I only had a compact chainset on 🙁 23:12 for the 10 which is my best (so far)

PJ266
    Free Member

35mph on the flat, verified by a motorbike riding alongside. SS 52:16, 1.3 inch slicks.

thefettler
    Free Member

Down hill on a touring bike fully loaded ,panniers a bob trailer
    78kmph
    bit disappointed i didn't double the recommended speed of the bob 😉
    Stopped the computer @ 99kmph on the road bike!
    Not the answer to the question the op asked 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Whats the fastest you have been on your bike under your own steam?’ is closed to new replies.