Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • What's the fastest speed you've reached on a mountain bike?
  • brakes
    Free Member

probably hit the fastest speeds on freeride bike that doesn’t have a speedo, but I’d estimate 40 tops.
    Done 50+ on a road bike a couple of times but not for a number of years – my road bike is looking a bit tired and I’m a bit nervous of the forks snapping after I rear-ended a taxi last year! should probably replace them.
    scariest speed though is on the fixed road bike down potholed hills with cars about, doing 120rpm – probably only 26-28mph but feels like waaaay more.

bowglie

49.8mph on my Anthem X, down a firetrack descent in France (I was determined to break 50mph) Surprisingly, the bike felt absolutley fine at that speed – only ‘slight’ problem was scrubbing off enough speed for the 90deg corner at the bottom of the hill 😯

ndthornton
    Free Member

I did 490,022 mph on my way in this morning – Do I win??

Caveat – Approximate speed relative to the centre of the Milky Way

tomaso
    Free Member

57mph in 92 on my Saracen Killi wotsit down from Beachy Head into Eastbourne. Not had a speedo on my bike since!

takisawa2

The bike did 80mph once.
    But I was a few feet in front, inside the car.
    🙂

zippykona

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vby7lSQMEnY[/video]
    Go to about 30seconds in.
    The most atrocious film ever. Good if you like dolly birds in go go boots though.

Harry_the_Spider

39.6 mph on the MTB down the hill in Grizedale. Had 3 attempts but still couldn’t hit 40.

44 and still accelerating on road on the CX before hitting the brakes. Chickened out bacause the road surface was rubbish.

mangatank
    Free Member

Blimey! That clip…Go to 4:40 in to see some insane driving/riding. Mad!

johnellison
    Free Member

62mph down the back side of Honister pass towards Gatesgarth. Overtook 2 cars and only just made the bridge part way down!!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

58mph coming down the back of corney fell somewhere on mtbs in 1995/6. A group of about 6 of us all had speedos showing roughly the same. I slowed down when I started to wonder what would happen if I just slammed my front brake on.

A couple of days later we tried again but in the wet – 2 people ended up in hospital.

beaker2135

44.3 mph dropping down into Dunford Bridge on Trans Pennine Trail

galactus
    Free Member

Seems that most of us are around the 40mph mark 😀

martinhutch

Off road, 41 and a bit across the fields after you cross the road on the drop down from Embsay Moor to Bolton Abbey.

Is that just before Westy Bank Wood, or on the BW that goes due south and hits the lane some way outside Bolton Abbey. I can see how you might be going a bit on the latter, but I can’t conceive how you’d manage it on the first one!

RustySpanner

It was on the two fields just before the wood with the nice bit of singletrack in it.
    Edit – yep, Westy Bank Wood.

Ms S held the gate between the two lower fields open. 🙂

I’d stopped for a pee a bit further back and was trying to catch up.
    Was very smooth and dry, you can get a hell of a run up too. 😀
    Biggest problem was avoiding the sheep.

ononeorange

This thread really needs Smurfhat for real awesomeness. Can we bring him back just for one post?

acehtn
    Free Member

49mph downhill on a roadbike.

40mph on hardtail down a fire road, think that had a 44t ring

38mph on 7″ travel bike on road, 36t ring, kinda span out the gears couldn’t peddle fast enough 🙂

44.5mph on Rollapaluza but i was half pissed and sunstroked and never done it before 🙂

Don’t worry about speedos to much anymore either, i know if i am close to 30ish as my eyes water up 🙂

martinhutch

I’d stopped for a pee a bit further back and was trying to catch up.
    Was very smooth and dry, you can get a hell of a run up too.

My maximum according to Strava was a mighty 19mph in similar conditions…<sobs>

I remember I was pedalling flat out in the big ring, so I still don’t know how you managed it…

RustySpanner

I have a natural advantage for quick acceleration on the downs 😀

I might have hit the top speed dropping down off the moor on the Bridleway, but the corners are a bit sketchy and the flat out sheep chasing bit certainly felt the fastest.

Gunnerside Gill, the drop down from Llyn Anafon and on the road (on the MTB) down the Horseshoe Pass from the Ponderosa are other favourites.

Just can’t seem to break 42mph on the MTB no matter how hard I try.
    Might be aerodynamics 🙂

geordiemick00
    Free Member

55.7mph on a Lap 714 on a road into the back of halifax via Southowram bank, felt like legs where doing 110mph and forgot there was a slight kink in the road halfway down, so straight lined it, nearly had head on with car and forgot there was lots of moss on the road from stagnant water too…. had minor orgasm at the bottom and heart attack climbing back up it 8)

orangeboy
    Free Member

Low 50s on mtb with slicks and proper old schools rings
    Down bath wick hill

Modern road bike with garmin 53 down the ski slope which is a good way behind the tt guys

waldo1
    Free Member

i used to own a traffic sign company, we had just fitted a new vms sign which shows the speed that road users are travelling at.
    i decided to try it out by being towed uphill on a demo 8 by one of my staff in his fiesta.
    clocked a reasonable 62mph.

edlong
    Free Member

According to the speedo on my old bike, 39.9 mph (gutted I was).

Full sus MTB down Churwell Hill, Morley (road) if anyone knows it.

Off road? Who knows? Maybe 10?

andytherocketeer

update to earlier posts (can’t edit them):

65.8km/h was the highest I recorded on speedo down to Champery (so just over 40mph). Probably maxed out at 40-50km/h on descent from goat village.

rossi46
    Free Member

51.5 mph according to my Cateye Mity- back in 1996 on my Marin Bear Valley.
    I was having it down Castle Hill near Eynesford in Kent and i reached this dizzying speed as a 90 degree bend appeared at the bottom with an elderly gent in a ‘rusty gold’ coloured Austin Maestro right on the apex.
    I think he was more scared as i narrowly missed him 😆

I’m an adult now, so i tend to take it a bit easier these days….

Edit: I’m pretty sure i went faster than this down some gert big hill in the Alps several times (in 2004). Although i didn’t have a cycle computer so who knows!

Edit (again): Offroad? 1996 again on the same bike i went 44.6MPH on some footpath (officer) in the same area in Kent…. (luckily no ramblers were harmed during the making of that record 😉 )

zippykona

42 down Battery Hill near Hastings. Ran out of gears.

andytherocketeer

^^ not been to Eynsford for years.
    Ever taken the “water splash” on the street thru it?

rossi46
    Free Member

Ever taken the “water splash” on the street thru it?

Oh yes! Once accidentally in the middle of winter! It was a long freezing ride home in my sodden shellsuit!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

55.1mph dropping down a trail somewhere above Cartmel. Think the big wheels help silly spees descents!

andytherocketeer

lol @ choosing winter. suspect the water level was a bit higher than normal too?
    rofl @ owning up to wearing a shellsuit.

My highest speed on a road bike was probably about 50mph going down Bluebell Hill. Need head tested to go down there these days I think.

bwaarp
    Free Member

52 mph and somehow kind of high sided into a hedge.

sbob
    Free Member

50 odd mph down a mountain in Scotland.
    On a rigid hire bike.
    Wearing shorts and T shirt. 😀
    (I was young)

Road bike I only ever managed just over 40mph; not many hills in my yard.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Slow lot are’nt you 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘What's the fastest speed you've reached on a mountain bike?’ is closed to new replies.