Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • What's the exact opposite of reason?
  • thebrowndog
    Free Member

If reason is your ability to make decisions based on logic/facts, with the absence of emotion, then the opposite of “listen to reason” might be “listen to you heart”. You might not want something so fluffy puffy bunny on your top tube, so maybe “listen to your gut” if you want to channel your inner Chuck Norris.

Cougar

Surely the opposite of reason is unreason? Not a word form I’ve ever come across, but you have reasonable and unreasonable.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hora.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think the struggle here is because the reason referred to in the OP is a noun, and opposites of nouns are a bit iffy. Sticking “un” in front of a word does not always the opposite make. One would imagine “unreason” is a word (haven’t looked it up tbh)* but if someone said it, I’m not sure I’d recognise it as a proper antonym for reason.

*just looked up reason (as a noun) on dictionary.com and it doesn’t list any antonyms for it.

GrahamS

One would imagine “unreason” is a word (haven’t looked it up tbh)* but if someone said it, I’m not sure I’d recognise it as a proper antonym for reason.

You’re just being unreasonable 😉

(As you say it doesn’t work on a noun. You can be unreasonable but you can’t have unreason)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’re just being unreasonable

Strange for me, but yes. 😛

Northwind

It’s alright, I’m naming my bike, I’m not starting a bike company, I think I will not get sued (I was dead pleased when I came up with “chromag” for my very old steel frame, got as far as making logo templates for it before I discovered it’s a real brand)

Right so what this is… I own a very modified motorbike, which at one point had the most absurdly loud exhaust on it. So a mate named it Reason, because if you were within about 10 miles of knockhill that day, you had to listen to Reason.

So now I’m making a pushbike that makes no sense, except that I have all the bits. So it’s a carrera XC hardtail with coil lyriks, mostly saint drivetrain, and about £750 worth of wheels and brakes. And ice spikers obviously. And when I leaned it against hte motorbike I just thought, “Unreason”

I’m so cool

BoardinBob

TandemJeremy

finephilly
    Free Member

You could try contradiction?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

/reason

dannyh
    Free Member

Reason as motive or reason as process?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Raison Pas

(Said with a shrug.)

boxelder

nosayer

Reverse of reason (with added why)

hora
    Free Member

To answer the OP – a single STWer. They start to have a skewered view on life manifested on forum posts.

chewkw
    Free Member

What’s the exact opposite of reason?

Illogical or irrational.

Everyone has a way of reasoning except no logical sense.

I win. 😀

For example, you lot should kiss my feet because my way or reasoning is that I step on you. The reasoning is good because you are perceived as way below the power of Dear Leader. But to you this does not make logical sense because I wear Clarks shoes so cannot kiss my feet. Hence, it is illogical but if I am bare footed then you will be able to kiss my feet. Logical? hhhhmmm … from now on I shall be bare footed so you can kiss my feet wholeheartedly. 😆

mattbee

Renton.

Northwind

That’s it decided, I’m calling it chewkw

Cougar

when I leaned it against hte motorbike I just thought, “Unreason”

Then you have your answer, surely?

chewkw
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

That’s it decided, I’m calling it chewkw

You mean it’s so illogical it’s logical? Yes? 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘What's the exact opposite of reason?’ is closed to new replies.