Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Whats the equivalent of pike airs from Fox?
  • walla24
    Free Member

and are they better?
    😀 cheers

timbercombe
    Free Member

Lowered Fox 36 Float I'd say, or Talas 32 with 15mm, would sway towards the former though, can't speak from personal experience.

jae
    Free Member

float qr 15's or talas's if your thinking uturns?

walla24
    Free Member

yeah u-turn definately, such a great thing to have on a do-it-all bike.
    man its such a jump in price from RS to Fox!

jae
    Free Member

2010 dual air RS revelation u turn maxle lites are undoubtably the most versatile trail fork on the marrket right now.and at 650 rrp (seen them for 425) and seen the non "powerbulge" 2009s for 250 new too!
    dont know if id buy fox.

unless i needed a coil sprung 140 15mm axle in which case the vanilla r is king……

mafiafish
    Free Member

^agree. I was really impressed with my friend's 09 revs. Floats are very nice too. I wouldn't bother with talas though. It's ust a climming cop out that reduces the forks performance as a suspension fork, adds a couple of hundred quid and adds weight and something to go wrong. Float 140 rl would be my choice if I didn't get the revelations! But the vans are pretty light for a coil shock!

jockhaggis
    Free Member

It's hard to go Fox these days when you see the price of Rockshox.

How's about the new Rockshox Sektor, 110-150 U-turn, 15mm or 20mm Maxle lite, any size of steerer, fairly light. Billed as a cheap Revelation, I think they'll sell loads.

Clicky Linky

walla24
    Free Member

Hmm interesting stuff!

heres another question how come you get pike 454 airs without the u-turn function?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You can get them with the U-Turn function? Well, I have a set anyway!

guitarhero
    Free Member

Pikes suck, they need "Push"ing to perform anything like half decent on the rough stuff, the airs have a noticeable and annoying clunk at the start of the stroke. They either dump their damping oil into the lowers, or out the top caps if you turn the bike upside down. The last two sets I've bought have been broken out the box.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I recently swapped from coil Uturn Pike to a 32 TALAS FIT RLC

I got a really good (like half price good) deal on the foxes otherwise I would not have paid the premium but these forks really are plenty stiff for my Evil (still wondering if I should have gone with 36s though) … not to mention 700g lighter than the pikes they replace (700!) Stiffness wise the pikes probably edge the foxes but the foxes really are quite good. Suspension action I think I prefer the TALAS, at least so far (only had them a couple of weeks).

if you're not worried about weight, 36 TALAS is a similar weight to the Pike coils (2200g iirc) and can be stopped down I think if your frame can't take 160. If you don't need the U-turn then Floats or 140 van 32s are a lovely fork (Mrs Fascist has the 140 Van on her yeti)

I'd agree it's tough to choose fox unless you get an exceptional deal (that 440 linked is very good). RS seem to be in the ascendancy atm

grumm
    Free Member

I think RS forks are not all that tbh – Fox are expensive, but I got my 36 Vans for £450 new, which isn't too bad. They weigh the same, but the performance pisses all over the coil Pikes that they replaced.

The Stanchions on my Pikes also wore down really badly, which supposedly only ever happens to Fox forks. My mate has some of the new Revs and they seemed reasonably good until they started leaking oil.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Fox Float 36 work really well reduced to 140mm (if 160mm is too much) by using the reducer in the box.

Just had a few sets of Floats in, mail me for prices 🙂

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Si, can the TALAS 36 be reduced so it maxes at 140 or 150 instead of 160?

grumm
    Free Member

Can you do the same reduction thingy on 36 vans? I suppose 140mm might be more sensible for most UK riding. 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member

Vans can't be reduced, not without serious mod's.

I don't know for sure if TALAS can be adjusted, but i don't think they can be 🙁

walla24
    Free Member

Ok so what should i get bearing in mind i need:

U turn travel to ~140mm
    air
    second hand £200-£300

Pike airs, Magura Wotons, Fox 32/36…..??

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

si_progressivebikes

I don't know for sure if TALAS can be adjusted, but i don't think they can be

bum. Evil dudes refused me permission to put a 36 TALAS on my Sov (hence the 32) 😥

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Whats the equivalent of pike airs from Fox?’ is closed to new replies.