Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What’s the economical situation in Canda like?
  • tops5
    Free Member

Me and the missus are in the early stages of saying b&*^%%llcks to this country and emigrating. After some very brief and unscientific research we are thinking of Canada.

After checking out a few community/government websites, it would appear that they are suffering too, anyone any 1st hand experience?

I work in construction management BTW

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hi tops 5…same with me and mrs deadly. We’re looking into Vancouver at the moment but like you say, the recession is beginning to hit there too and in common with the rest of the screwed up world, construction is suffering the most (i’m sort of linked to construction too). There is a big skills shortage there at the moment though so getting in isn’t very difficult. There are a few members here living in Canada now but they’ll still be in bed I reckon.

jimmy

whats skills are they lacking, out of interest? anyone know?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

I think they are crying out for public servants ie teachers, policemen etc. I saw some guy on this programme who had been a copper here, and he was saying how nice it was to be greeted in the street and called sir, rather than being shouted and spat at. Then again, he was in the middle of country-bumpkin nowhere, and he did go on to say how incredibly boring it was 🙂

Try the Canadian Embassy website.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, if you look on the Canadian embassy site, they have lists of desired skills in different provinces. It’s not straightforward though…apparently permanent residency can take quite a long time to get. Though they see to offer a common sense approach i.e. if you’re working, contributing and generally not being a drain on the system, you’re welcome to stay.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Am in the process of moving to Canada.

If you just fancy upping sticks and moving expect it to take up to 5 years for a fully open residency permit to wing it’s way to you. This is if you apply to the Canadian Consulate in the UK.

The fastest way to get out there is to get a sponsored work permit and once there apply for landed immigrant status. However the tricky part is getting the sponsored work permit. In order to employ someone from outside Canada the employing company must possess a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) which is an offical document from Canadian goverment stating that the job you are applying for could not be filled by a Canadian national. For some roles (as stated above) there is a defacto LMO as there is a skills shortage but it vaires by province. From my experience most companies are wary of looking like they are employing foreign nationals.

There is a lot of good advice (as well as the usual caveats about the internet) on this site.. http://britishexpats.com/

As for economy despite what they may say the Canadian and USA economy are closely linked; however the Canadian banks seem to have escaped the worst of the sub-prime chaos and as such (to my knowledge) none of them have needed rescuing.

sweaman2
    Free Member

ps – If you work in construction and don’t mind a bit of cold some of the oil sands projects in Northern Alberta might be viable. However many major oil companies have stalled these projects currently as the oil price crash means they are no longer economic.

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

One of the boys I worked with went to Alberta in November he reccomended a website called Ex pats as there is a lot of info in there

Trekster

friend is off in May, we had last weekend together this weekend, they stay a bit away.

They are going to Sascatoon(sp)Prince Albert, right in the middle of nowhere!!! He is a mental health nurse and has a job waiting, spent 2wks over there in Sept doing interviews and tests.

Reasons for choosing where he did is because everyone else heads to the popular destinations, flooding the job market. He plans to do the minimum to get whats needed to live there permanently before heading for the bright lights.

zaskar
    Free Member

OZ

coffeeking
    Free Member

Grass is always greener and they call it a world crisis for a reason 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

trekster….saskatchewan probably 😉 And lol at the thread title!

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 about 47mpg…. 😉

tops5
    Free Member

Yea alright Fanylion – I did cringe when I saw the thread posted. wondered who the first pedant along might be….. 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

hehe…sorry, couldn’t help it! I knew what you meant!

markgraylish
    Free Member

Up to now, Canada has admitted about 230,000 immigrants each year.
    There is currently talk about reducing that to, I think, 170,000. If it happens, that 5 year wait for Permanent Residency will get an awful lot longer…

Best bet is to hook up with a nurse – they are always in short supply so won’t have a problem getting a work permit. Once over here, convert the work permit to permanent residency and the job’s done. That’s what I did! 8)

aleigh
    Free Member

my brother is near edmonton. he got sponsored by a company work wise to be a welder and has been there since june 2006. he actually hired a company to sort his visa etc out.

he hasn’t said that they’re suffering out there, i’m sure if they were he would have said by now.

the permanent residency thing is taking it’s time but he should have it this year and once he has he has to stay in his job for a further 6mths before he can move, something he’s not too impressed with!

as mentioned on a previous post i’m visiting him in june and i’ve roped him into mountain biking…..he thinks he’s good at it (hahaha) – we shall see 😉

tops5
    Free Member

Missus has a law degree BTW – that must help?

fantom
    Free Member

We did this; the residence permit took about 3 years, it takes quite some time to get criminal records and references from all jobs before you start etc, it also takes quite a few quid, not least the medicals at the end of the process. On employment, they are looking for specific professions, but be prepared for a struggle if you are in management etc etc the other thing to remember is that salaries are generally lower and they work long hours with far fewer holidays….that’s the bad news…the good news is that its friendly, crime free, stunning outdoors etc etc go for it….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What’s the economical situation in Canda like?’ is closed to new replies.