Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What's the difference between folding/wire tyres?
  • Hareydan
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some new tyres (Panaracer Cinder, since you ask) and noticed that the folding versions are £8 more expensive (on CRC) than the wire ones. I presume that means that folding is better than wire in some way, but in what way? Are they lighter/stronger/longer lasting?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It makes you feel better knowing they are folding.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Folding tend to be lighter as well, as they dont have a hoop of steel in the bead of the tire, usually they are kevlar which is lighter in this application.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Lighter usually, which can be quite a difference. Can be easier to fit too.

legend
    Free Member

Likely to fall off the rim the moment you get a flat

MSP

Folding are usually lighter and stronger, kevlar doesn’t stretch.

As folding tyres are higher up the quality chain they tend to have other improvements as well as just the bead material, especially noticeable in continentals range, but I am sure it applies to other manufacturers as well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the ‘main’ difference is that the bead is flexible, usualy kevlar instead of steel, but there may also be othe rupgrades like softer/dual compound/different rubber, higher TPI casings etc.

Specialized do that on their tyres, the basic ones are 60tpi, single compound, steel bead, the expensive ones get dual compound, kevlar beads, 120tpi.

Northwind

Yup, likewise Kenda, some of their OEM-spec wire bead ones like the nevegals and smallblocks are pretty substandard it’s not just the bead that’s different. Basically they’re totally different tyres that just look the same.

But there’s plenty of wire tyres that are top quality, you just need to know which you’re getting.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Personally i find bead easier to fit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What's the difference between folding/wire tyres?’ is closed to new replies.