• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by j450n.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What's the default replacement hydraulic disc brake these days
  • Riksbar

Need to replace my elixir 3s as life is to short to bleed them and fettle them. Are Deores still the go to cheap hydraulic disc replacement. Any recommendations and deals out there?

nickjb
    Free Member

Yep. Deores. Usual places for deals really; crc, wiggle, Merlin.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SLX are a peach of a bargain brake, IMHO.

Riksbar

And only £20 more, hmmmmmm

philjunior
    Free Member

M395 or M446 depending on what’s going cheap from Germany for my last few replacements.

I’m sure other brakes are better, but they work well and it’s hard to justify spending more when £20-£25 and end (lever hose and caliper) will do the job (budget time for swapping hoses over and possible bleeding though unless you like the euro brake set up.)

highlandman
    Free Member

Almost all Deore brakes will leak at the piston seal after 1-2 years. Get SLX instead, more reliable.
    Or Hope, if you want the ‘green’ option, as you’ll still be using them in ten years’ time, long after your second set of SLX/XT have died..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

SLX – just replaced Avid Elixir R on my main bike and Deores – replaced Formula on my daughters.

peterich
    Free Member

Deore – stunning brakes

Tracey

Look at the SHIM code on CRC. Just ordered another set of XTs at £101.18 a pair.

chestrockwell

I’ve just got my second set of the current Deore as they’re ace. If you get Tesco Clubcard vouchers get Evans to price match Merlin/CRC/etc then use the vouchers as you get double the face value. My second pair cost £38 in real money and there’s no worries about OEM gear. 😉

Riksbar

Swung by Merlin this weekend to help a friend pick up his new road bike and left with a new set of SLX brakes 🙂

Just need to shorten hoses now.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Just need to shorten hoses now.

gaHHh! I need a longer rear hose for my SLX. Swap?

actually – does anyone know if the hoses have stayed the same since 2009?

Riksbar

gaHHh! I need a longer rear hose for my SLX. Swap?

Nice idea but IF I manage it properly I’m hoping I won’t need to bleed them, and a bleed kit costs the same as a new hose.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Nice idea but IF I manage it properly I’m hoping I won’t need to bleed them, and a bleed kit costs the same as a new hose.

How much is that, and wouldn’t you be better off ith a bleed kit in the long run? I though SLX could be bled with a syringe and a bit of tubing?

Anywhere near Newcatle? we could swap hoses and do some bleeding together. I have a big bottle of mineral oil.

^That sounds kinda wrong

Riksbar

Over on the wrong side of the Pennines unfortunately (Yorkshire exile in Lancs). I managed to shorten the hoses successfully without bleeding, all working fine now.

Try here for hoses.

johnny

I have, this very evening been given some interesting advice by the workshop manager of a sizeable southern bike shop- if you have Shimano brakes, just cut the hoses to fit, trying to avoid spilling fluid. Then, rather than bleeding them, zip-tie the levers to the bar overnight. It should allow any air to escape slowly over night.

I will have a go and report back!

Harry_the_Spider

Almost all Deore brakes will leak at the piston seal after 1-2 years.

Really?

devash
    Free Member

Almost all Deore brakes will leak at the piston seal after 1-2 years.

Never heard of this. Evidence?

superdan

I seem to kill the rear calipers every 18 months or so, SLX, XT or Deore, it makes me think that they are fairly susceptible to heat, might be why Shimano are pushing the ice-tec rotors and finned pads.

That said, I live in the Lakes, and weigh a lot, so can boil any brake on a 160mm rotor on most rides. Am on 203mm both ends on all my bikes.

Even with these issues though, easier to bleed, less toxic fluid, easy pad changes and no grief from them in between, I wouldn’t use anything else anymore.

johni
    Free Member

I have SLX. THey’re great

bonesetter
    Free Member

My mates brand new deore failed at the piston after 3 weeks

bonesetter
    Free Member

What’s the difference between SLX and XT brakes??

j450n
    Free Member

What bonesetter asks!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

XT’s have bite point adjust (that doesn’t really do much) and are shiney.
    Plus the pads are held in with a bolt rather than a split pin.

j450n
    Free Member

Cheers adam 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What's the default replacement hydraulic disc brake these days’ is closed to new replies.