• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Whats the deal with waterproof socks then?
  • andyb748
    Free Member

Rode Cwm Carn yesterday in torrential rain. Rivers everywhere! Ended up with about a cupfull of water inside each of my 'waterproof' socks. I would have been better off with regular ones, although my feet felt thoroughly washed by the end.

Whats the secret to keeping the water on the outside?

Andy

scaredypants

duct tape

or long trousers/tights

meeeee
    Free Member

i have this problem, but at least my feet stay warm. I was wondering if the longer sealskinz ones would be better as they'd be a bit less prone to filling up from splashes from puddles / streams.

FuzzyWuzzy

It gets in through the tops so you either need waterproof trousers that go over the outside of the tops or gaiters of some sort. I guess even just lycra tights that go over the sock top would help as it would funnel most of it over. Personally though I don't bother with sealskins anymore, prefer Spesh Defrosters with woolie bollies on, socks do get wet still but more comfy when it happens than sealskins.

nickc

Tape up the cuff? TBH waterproof socks are OK up to a point, but if it's wet enough water will always get in. As long as your feet are warm, it's fine. Personally I wear wool socks, which will stay warm when wet.

funkynick

I was thinking of getting some diving drysuit cuffs for just this problem, but then someone on here pointed out you can do the same thing with cut-down Marigolds… although you would have to have pink or yellow… unless you can find black washing up gloves!

takisawa2

Latex gloves with fingers cut off.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They are brilliant if it's a bit wet underfoot, but as soon as heavy rain starts, the water runs down your leg and into the tops. Normal socks with vented shoes are pretty good then, as I found out on the TransWales last year. After every knee deep puddle, 2 pedal revolutions and all the water drains out through the mesh, which seems to be the best compromise for me….
    🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dont forget that diving cuffs are generally really quite tight, which wont help foot circulation.

Personally I just get wet feet and dry them after my shower, can't see the point in keeping them dry unless I'm on an all-day epic.

joemarshall
    Free Member

woolie bollies

wool socks, which will stay warm when wet

The solution. Simpler, often cheaper, and more comfortable.

Joe

barrykellett
    Free Member

My new shimano winter boots are waterproof even with a powerhose on them after riding to clean them.

I have great hopes for them!
    Haven't done a wet out of the sky ride with them on yet though

coffeeking
    Free Member

barry – I have some old gore-lined shimano boots – work pretty well, but do tend to let water in the top as per the socks above. But slowly enough that it evaps out again.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Same principal as a wet suit. Water gets in, sits next to your body and gets heated up so you get insulation from the water and the thickness of the socks. Wool socks under the Sealskinz makes this more comfortable. Getting wet feet is irrelevant – it's keeping them warm that's important

coffeeking
    Free Member

Getting wet feet is irrelevant – it's keeping them warm that's important

They still need to breathe, or you end up with soggy, sore feet. If you wanted wetsuit-esque solution you'd use a nice thin neoprene which would work better as insulation?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Getting wet feet is irrelevant – it's keeping them warm that's important

They still need to breathe, or you end up with soggy, sore feet. If you wanted wetsuit-esque solution you'd use a nice thin neoprene which would work better as insulation?

For the few hours that you are on a bike feet don't need to breathe. Even if you could keep the water out completely they will still get wet from sweat. Years ago I used to do a lot of dinghy and big boat racing. You could be wet for 24 hours with no issues, but performance and concentration really degrades if you start feeling cold

Edit – the neoprene in Sealskinz is about as thin as you'll get

coffeeking
    Free Member

They don't need to breathe, but they get soggy and soft and MTBing is pretty harsh on soft wet feet. Keeping your feet dry is the better option. My feet don't get particularly wet in gore boots, not sure how sweaty your feet are! 😆

Speshpaul

If you've got bare shins then the water will run down your legs in to the sock. (unless they are brand new)
    I've used a combination of S/skins M101's and endura biblongs with a water proof panel to shin. the enduras fit over the top of the SS and teh cuff of the shoe.
    That will work. But if you don't cover the sock tops then the spray off your front wheel will find its way in.

crispybacon
    Free Member

I've tried all three sealskinz sizes

Ankle – too short & water gets in the top very easy 😐

Mid – the best of the lot but as above you need to have some sort of layer over the top of them to stop the water getting in 🙂

Long – unless you gaffa tape or staple them to your legs after about 100m they fall down to your ankles with a very large gap at the top to let the water in 😐

I use mids with Shimano MW80's & although not 100% waterproof I've not had any frozen feet issues which I had with other sox/shoe combinations.

squin
    Free Member

They don't work. I switched to wool socks and winter boots years ago. Wet but warm feet.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Getting wet feet is irrelevant –

No it's not. I got wet feet (With waterproof socks on) and they went all wrinkly. Silty dirt got into the wrinkles and rubbed sore lines into my feet. I was lucky that I dried my feet off, and applied some chammy cream and they were OK by morning, but I left the socks off after that, so at least I wasn't soaking in so much water then next day….

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Dry suit ankle seals
    I've got some of these, cut down a bit – fit nicely over the top of Northwave Celcius boots. However, large is still quite tight. Use them alot for wet morning commutes (about 45mins) where the thought of having to put wet socks/boots on at 5pm is pretty grim. Out for longer rides, I don't generally wear them as it can feel like they are slowly cutting my feet off – as mentioned above.

avdave2

Heavy duty Marigolds are black if pink or yellow clash with the rest of your outfit.

RicB

I just roll my mid-length sealskinz socks over at the top (inwards). This gives a bit more pressure around the cuff and seals them at the top. I very rarely get wet feet.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Whats the deal with waterproof socks then?’ is closed to new replies.