Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What's the craic with Chopwell woods?
  • sharkattack

I’m heading over to Chopwell tomorrow. Just because it’s close and it’s a change from Hamsterley.

I haven’t ridden there for years and years. Is there anything I need to know? I know about the obvious Powerline trail but wouldn’t mind exploring a bit and I can’t find much info online.

Anything lurking in the woods that’s worth seeking out?
    Wouldn’t mind finding this…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHTv-jaNOA[/video]

legolam
    Free Member

Not 100% sure where the video was shot, but I was up there yesterday and it is an absolute bogfest. There was still a fair bit of snow and ice around, although it’s warmer this evening so might have melted. Didn’t try the Powerline as the TT was run down there at the weekend and it was a river of mud before that.

If you do a search in my profile for similar threads, I’ve posted up my usual Strava route in the past.

Edit: forgot to say that my usual advice to chopwell newbies is to head uphill on fireroads and just explore any singletrack that appears and takes your liking. You won’t get lost (it’s a small place) and, if you do, head uphill on fireroads to get to the car park or downhill to get to Lintzford/the river.

butcher

Likely to be pretty muddy this weekend. A lot of snow melting today, and Chopwell is mostly natural (cheeky) trails. Definitely somewhere best ridden in the summer. The powerline will take you all of about 3 minutes to ride. As above though, it’s a small place. Trails linking off everywhere. Best just to take a full day and explore.

survivor

Had a ride about there last weekend while the race was on and can confirm it was a sloppy mess. Few new trails appeared since I last rode there(few years ago) but it was all hard work and soaking. Good advice above re fire roads up, trails down and nick someones strava route or you’ll never find some of them.
    I’ll be back but leaving it till it dries out…

gazc
    Free Member

i ride there quite a bit (as in most weekends and ofd night ride midweek) and have to disagree its all a bog (granted most of it is) plenty of the shorter dh trails near the bottom are reasonably dry through winter as its more sandy down there. work has been done repairing powerline by the trail builders before the race so it should be ok – yeah there will be mud but we’re talking mountain biking aren’t we? 😉 also roots has had worst bits infilled with gravel so thats still good fun up at the top

may be able to pop over tomorrow for a quick spin & show you some stuff but cant be certain just yet as got to finish the bathroom (and start garden…)

gazc
    Free Member

not sure where that jump is but i think i know where

this is typical of route i do there plus other bits thrown in

legolam
    Free Member

Didn’t say it wasn’t a fun sloppy mess – will be back there either Sunday morning or Monday afternoon!

Roots and Powerline are definitely better since the trail repairs, but I’m mostly an XC kinda girl so all my favourite stuff up the top near the golf course was a bit soggy yesterday…

gazc
    Free Member

the trail from the fireroad below end of roots (skip the slimy one straight over) which finishes by the wagonway is riding well too 🙂 golf course is definitely bog fest!

teethgrinder

Might pop up there myself on Sunday, as I’ve missed the Tumblers Thursday night rides for a bit.

sharkattack

Well you all put me off and we ended up at Hamsterley. It was fast and grippy in between the sheet ice. I’ve got a girlfriend who’s just got a bike so I want to get her into it without killing her. We’ll hit Chopwell next week if it’s any better.

teethgrinder

Mud in Chopwell is great as it’s not clay based so doesn’t clag all over. It’s more slop.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What's the craic with Chopwell woods?’ is closed to new replies.