Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • whats the cheapest/easiest way to strem itunes-ideally using a toslink output
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

as above,but surround sound only has a digital toslink input spare,so need something with a toslink output-someone suggested an apple express,but do they have a toslink?

Cougar

Can you stream it to an existing source rather than running another cable? Point something like TVersity or Serviio at your media library and pick it up with a game console or disc player perhaps?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Airport express has a combined optical/3mm port and the AppleTV has optical out also…. Potentially better value for money as it can do more stuff.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

so,using an airport express,i can use a toslink connector,control it using ipod touch/iphone,does it need an ethernet connection,or are they wireless?

NZCol

I use an AppleTV for this – optical to the stereo and streamed over WiFi from an iPad (spotify, iTunes – whatever)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats it coming from? Mac or PC?

Some optical outs only do 2ch Stereo fine for music but not great for films.

I got a PCI 5.1 card with optical out for my PC works really well and about 20 quid from play

ratherbeintobago

Airport Express can be used either via wireless (802.11n) or Ethernet.

Andy

jmason
    Free Member

Toslink cable from any mac (or pc with a optical sound card)
    Or
    Airport extreme
    Or
    An apple tv

Personally I Use the apple TV option that way I can go straight into the av reciver with a hdmi cable. You also get a nice remote

georgecats_0
    Free Member

thanks all,have picked up an apple express from ebay,cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘whats the cheapest/easiest way to strem itunes-ideally using a toslink output’ is closed to new replies.