Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What's the cheapest way to heat 6 months old bed room?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My son woke up in the night, hands and ears freezing cold, he sleeps in a sleeping bag thing and had correct clothes on. So oil filled radiator or central heating on with thermostat in his bedroom, which is cheapest?

tron
    Free Member

Gas central heating in theory is far cheaper than any electric heater. However, you're going to have to mess about turning radiator stats on and off, and have the main thermostat thing in his room. Otherwise everyone else will roast overnight.

So an oil filled rad / other electric heater might turn out much more convenient, without a massive hit in price.

Is there something up with the room – ie, not double skinned walls when the rest of the house is? On occasion you get a room that's not well insulated or a bit damp, and it'll feel horrible and cold all the time.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its a 1920's stone built house. His room is on the NW corner, and is unfortunately the coldest room in the house although I have made sure there is plenty of insulation above it in the loft, no visible signs of damp.

midlifecrashes

Insulate the roof walls, window and floor some more, cut out the draughts. If it's just that room that has the problem, that might do it. Have you thought of an electric blanket? Old skool but was the popular solution before insulation and central heating took over.

tron
    Free Member

You might want to try fitting a bigger radiator in there if it's consistently colder.

If one room's colder than the rest of the house, it'll always feel a bit manky – warm air can carry more water vapour than cold, so when air from the rest of the house comes in, the water will condense out. Until that's driven out by airing / warming the room through, it'll feel horrible at any temperature.

IainAhh
    Free Member

I would second the electric oil filled heater. We have a couple from B&Q (I think.) They have a thermostat and timer so can be left on all night etc. With the doors shut they heat the room quickly and you can have the heating off in the rest of the house.

sweepy
    Free Member

Weve got wall mounted panel heaters. thermostat and timer like an electric rad, but they have a throughflow of air which seems to heat the room better.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I used an electric panel heater with a thermostat and timer,when my little girl was younger,Her room was very cold in the winter,didnt seem to cost to much to run,Think it was a 1kw panel.

oil drum and tyres.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Why not dry line the walls? There's foam backed plasterboard or you could just use plasterboard with a foil backing. You don't want to creat another proble, so I think you need to do some research to see what method/materials will best suit your property and budget.

There are a few choices, but as tron says, the moisture laden warm air is condensing in this room because it is cooler.

People often use the word damp, but in this context, we are talking condensation. As a building term, damp usually means water transmitted through the structure, which is not the case with your bedroom.

You could just fit a hefty radiator to mitigate the problem.

Keeping a constant airflow tith the rest of the floor of the house will help a little with the condensation too.

Good luck.

Hairychested
    Free Member

We used oil-filled DeLonghi radiators from Argos for a few years. 2kW was perfect as iit heated the room up in no time but once warm it was cheap to run. And when you came back home from a cold ride you always sat on one to warm yourself up.
    I also had an ancient oil-filled radiator made of a length of 2'' pipe, even better but could get very hot as it had some 4.5kW heating element.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We use an electric heater to supplement the central heating in our twins' room (just donut is that bit more comfortable for them overnight) and it doesn't appear to have had a huge effect on heating bills.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And as above – pratting with all the rads constantly was a pain (hence getting it)

lagerfanny
    Free Member

We also use the 2kW DeLonghi Dragon 3 oil-filled rad to take the edge off in our nippers room or out in the landing. Good bit of kit.

djglover
    Free Member

We got a DeLonghi Dragon for our twins when they were really small. Was never massively expensive to run as above.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

(when I said electric, I meant oil-filled – Argos own-brand on half price offer last autumn.

DickBarton

All move into the room and it'll soon warm up…or move his room to the opposite end of the house…or put an extra blanket over him whilst he is sleeping…

bigbloke
    Free Member

The room is cold all the time as its haunted, i suggest a full exorcism and contacting TAPS Ghosthunters that will conduct a full investigation.

Also an oil filled rad can sometimes be beneficial…….i'll get my coat.

br
    Free Member

keep the door open?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Few years ago now, but we used a 750w oil filled radiator, solid panel type unlike the modern ones
    Had a thermostat and did a great job of keeping the chill from my daughters room

Our current house is a victorian end of terrace cottage and my daughter still has the coldest bedroom as it is at the back and on a corner.
    Fitted a new double c/h rad and lined the external walls with polystyrene off a roll behind some tongue and groove.

All fine and in fact she reckons its too warm at times

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Get a remote thermometer too, so you can check that it doesn't get too toasty warm in there.

Sandwich

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What's the cheapest way to heat 6 months old bed room?’ is closed to new replies.