Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What's the catch? (Job T&Cs content!)
  • fruitbat

I’ve been with my current company for 23 years and as part of a reorganization I’m having my job title changed form Engineering Manager to Principle Engineer.
    The content of my job is not changing significantly as most of my man management activities were reduced to allow me to concentrate on ‘engineering’, some time ago. The change of job title, to Principle Engineer, is really just a way formalizing what I’ve been doing for the last 6 years.
    Part of the change to my T&Cs is an increase in the notice period I require to give from the current 4 weeks to 3 months.
    What benefit do I derive from this? I can understand why the company might want to do it but I’m not sure if I should agree.
    Although I’ve been there for 23 years I’m not averse to changing companies should a lucrative offer come along. Would a 3 month notice period be a big negative in any future moves?

allthegear
    Free Member

3 months would be reasonably expected as a notice period by any future employer, if you are senior. I can’t see it causing issues if you were to move.

One thing to bear in mind, though, is you would be the only Principal Engineer rather than being in a ‘pool’ of Engineers beforehand. There is no such thing as making a person redundant, only a role. So, if they decided to make an engineer role redundant, they would then have to go through all the process of point scoring to work out who has to go and it might not be the person they want. If they make the Principal Engineer role redundant – well, that’s easy…

Rachel

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What benefit do I derive from this? I can understand why the company might want to do it but I’m not sure if I should agree.

Does the notice period reciprocate? Not everything in your contract is about you, it probably means the company values you and the role you do is complex so would like you to do a proper hand over if you leave.

Although I’ve been there for 23 years I’m not averse to changing companies should a lucrative offer come along.

If you say this a lot no wonder they want you on a longer notice.

In a senior role longer notices are more normal, if your worth it people will wait 3 months, it’s not that long and can also be negotiated out of.

hora
    Free Member

Do you have to sign a new contract?

stumpyjon

I pushed for 3 months notice, if they ever make you redundant you either get you notice cash or three months to look for another role. If you want to leave it’s unlikely they’ll be able to hold you for the full three months without your agreement. Many senior jobs are 3 months notice.

slackalice
    Free Member

I remember one particularly fine summer, many many years ago, spent on 3 months Gardening Leave after being approached by another company. Generally it will be a reciprocal notice period.

atlaz
    Free Member

If they make the Principal Engineer role redundant – well, that’s easy…

Not quite so easy. He could still say he is more than capable of doing one of the roles in the pool of engineers then they’d be obliged to look at the people in the pool and use them as contention

cheers_drive

After being made redundant last year I’d definitely see 3 months notice as a positive.

tonyg2003

3months notice period is fairly standard notice period for a senior level position. 6 months is also fairly common and top position can be up to a year. As long as it’s reciprocated.

It just shows that they value you.

hora
    Free Member

I’m no expert but I wouldn’t focus on the notice period at all. Beyond a years service a company can’t simply say ‘hey we need to give you notice’ so its the other way round. If they needed to make you redundant/find a way to shed staff the notice period is totally immaterial.

You’ve been with your company for over two decades. If the new title (cough role) means signing a new contract I wouldn’t sign it without a proper read and asking someone professional on your rights. This isn’t paranoia its covering your own back properly.

wwaswas

If you sign a new contract make sure it stipulates that your length of service will be calculated from your original start date, not the contract date.

(I am not a lawyer)

rickmeister

IANAL but a new contract with 3 months notice gives you extra protected time if things change…

I would want the original start date in the new contract to formally recognize the 23 yrs service as its a lot of redundancy money to potentially give up.

As hora says, get a professional to cast their eye over the new contract before you sign.

fruitbat

Thanks all for the input.

Isn’t the redundancy notice concern a bit irrelevant as if you are employed for over 12 years the company needs, by law, to give 12 weeks notice anyway?

I’ll be giving any contracts/agreements a thorough read before signing anything.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What's the catch? (Job T&Cs content!)’ is closed to new replies.