Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Whats the best way to stiffen up a QR fork?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I know the answer is probably buy the maxle

Can the hub (hope pro 2) be converted to run one of the DT Swiss or Superstar axles?

Cheers

Sam

Yes, You can just drill them out or I think they may even make end caps for 9mm QR’s.

fathomer

I think this is what you need? I came across them when looking if I could do XC hubs.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/hope-pro-2-item170909.html#info

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah cheers and then just a 9mm thru axle from superstar right?

Is that all? Seems too simple.

fathomer

If you look on this page, pretty sure it’s the HUB443 you need:
    http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG280

Which according to the description on this site is the conversion to take DT Swiss RWS 9mm skewer (or superstar jobbie), so the first link maybe wrong.
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/176/hub443/hope-pro-2-front-9mm-thru-bolt-conversion-kit.html

porter_jamie

yes, did it to my rebas, makes a noticeable difference. adds a little bit of weight too though.

i used the superstar one as is it a load cheaper than a dt one

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers guys I’ll go order both.

Thanks alot

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Can someone explain this upgrade works to improve (torsional) stiffness. (I’m really dumb at mechanical things sorry)?

I can see that you can squeeze the nut tighter against the fork jaws with a screw/track-nut rather than a QR lever and skewer which seems helpful. But the interface between the axle and fork jaws is unchanged. Is it something to do with a solid axle bending a tiny bit less bendy than a hollow axle – does solid really make much difference given that a hollow tube is very stiff anyway?

glenh
    Free Member

Lose some weight 😉

Sam

buzz-lightyear – Member
    Can someone explain this upgrade works to improve (torsional) stiffness. (I’m really dumb at mechanical things sorry)?

I can see that you can squeeze the nut tighter against the fork jaws with a screw/track-nut rather than a QR lever and skewer which seems helpful. But the interface between the axle and fork jaws is unchanged. Is it something to do with a solid axle bending a tiny bit less bendy than a hollow axle – does solid really make much difference given that a hollow tube is very stiff anyway?

The clamping force is higher and the elasticity of the skewer is lower.

toys19
    Free Member

Que?

iainc

I have a DT swiss and the superstar one. The DT one is noticeably ‘stiffer’ when riding

steve_b77
    Free Member

Instead of buying the 9mm adapters, I have a set of 15mm ones, coudl I just not get some 15mm tube with an ID of 9mm and slip that in place over the axle?

Or am I just over complicating things?

Matt24k
    Free Member

How’s that going interesting 15mm conversion going to fit into your QR fork lowers?

Paceman
    Free Member

What’s the weight difference between the DT Swiss and Superstar versions?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Matt – good point, never thought of that 😳

scruff
    Free Member

Paceman, the difference is quality.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Aren’t the DT ones renowned for snapping?

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m going to go with a DT 9mm RWS Axle I think.

MSP

Aren’t the DT ones renowned for snapping?

The early ones had a plastic ratchet that just wasn’t up to the job, that’s meant to have been sorted on later ones. The DT ones are lighter than the superstar ones, but you would have to be pretty weight obsessed to justify the cost differential between them.

pickle
    Free Member

is it really that much of a problem? never felt the need myself, normal QR has worked well enough for me over the last *cough* years 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s definitely not a problem for me, I just fancy trying some out to see if it makes a difference.

rwc03
    Free Member

If you get the dt rws skewer make sure it looks likes this:

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/RWS/RWS-thru-bolt.aspx

The others have plastic handles which in my experience last for 5 minutes. I’m using the superstar ones for now, as I didn’t get on with the plastic levers. The superstar ones are noticeably heavier (the dt swiss ones are very light) but they feel absolutely solid in the hand, they come with an OE QR lever which is why they’re much cheaper in comparison. To be honest I can’t tell much difference between the dt swiss ones and the superstar but maybe that’s because I only got to use the dt ones for a couple of rides before the plastic burred.

EDIT: Don’t buy this version from crc:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21670&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

Paceman
    Free Member

Got an unused DT RWS 9mm Skewer for next to nothing off a riding buddy, it’s the older version but worth a punt I think, just need some Hope Pro 3 9mm convertors now.

kimbers

i have a superstar one on the front and it works well with my floats, i found a big improvementover regular qr on rock gardens and awkward landings

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what did you notice before and after – intrigued. Or is it down to perception – i have bought ergo its better?

I am not sure on an awkward landing that you are thing “ooooh the torsional stiffness is a real improvement here”, more like “**** me this is gonna hurt!”

kimbers

maybe its all in my head they just feel stiffer when im riding hard, or if i land at an angle

Paceman
    Free Member

If it feels better in your head then you’ll ride better that’s for sure. Sometimes a percieved improvement in your bike is enough to give you the confidence you need.

iainc

It’s the older DT Swiss one I have – as long as you keep it greased and clean the plastic covering on the lever is fine (I think it’s metal underneath ?). Can you tell the difference ? yes – on slow rocky descents I can, so it was a worthwhile upgrade to 140mm QR forks. Have not bothered changing on my 100mm Reba’s on the hardtail as I don’t think I would notice on that

Sam

toys19 – Member
    Que?

The force exerted on the dropout is higher because the skewer is tightened on a thread than the cam of a normal QR. Because the skewer is less elastic when there are forces acting on the fork which make the dropouts want to move independently of one another the skewer stretches less and allows them to move less.

cruzheckler – Member
    what did you notice before and after – intrigued. Or is it down to perception – i have bought ergo its better?

I am not sure on an awkward landing that you are thing “ooooh the torsional stiffness is a real improvement here”, more like “**** me this is gonna hurt!”

IMO the advantage is rather in general steering precision rather than reaction to an awkward landing.

FOG

Can you do this with XT QR hubs which I have on both my bikes?

Paceman
    Free Member

If the hubs can be converted to 9mm bolt thru.

sugdenr
    Free Member

No. Because of the cup and cone bearing design they are axle size specific.

Andy

I have some 9mm ProII adaptors if anyone needs them 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

Andy, how much do you want for them?

Andy

Nath yhm

EDIT: These are Pro2s, Paceman needs Pro3s so if anyone else needs them please pm me

neninja
    Free Member

Front adapters are the same for Pro2 and Pro3

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I think the best way is to swap your lowers for 15 or 20mm thru axle versions 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Front adapters are the same for Pro2 and Pro3

Are you certain, they’re different part numbers on the Hope website?

gamo
    Free Member

My brother did the Hope/Superstar conversion and feels its improved
    the steering/stiffness of his Float 140’s.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best way to stiffen up a QR fork?’ is closed to new replies.