• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • whats the best way to shorten a shimano hose?
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i got my new shimano brakes on the bike but the front is a couple of inches too long and the rear is quite a few inches too long so both will need shortening
    it seems i have a couple of options…
    send to LBS
    or
    buy the bleed kit and do it myself

however i spotted on the website of Epic an article explaining how to shorten a hose without needing to bleed the brakes
    http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/shorten-shimano-hoses-without-bleeding/
    given that i havent ordered the bleed kit and am struggling to find the time to drop the bike off at the LBS…should i attempt the method in the link above?

oldnpastit

I did it myself, and if I can do it, anyone can.

(And bleeding Shimano systems is very easy if it all goes horribly wrong).

Basically do what that article says.

I used a stanley knife to do the actual shortening, and I struggled to get the new barb in even with the yellow plastic thing; I ended up heating up the hose a bit with a hair dryer.

granny_ring

Yes as per the instructions, would be tricky without a vice to hold the yellow block I’d say.

Northwind

Molegrips work just as well for the yellow block. Having some sort of tapering poky thing that you can poke into the end of the hose to open it up can help- not to stretch it or owt, just to get it back into shape as cutting can crimp it a little.

Way I approach it is that probably you won’t have to bleed it but I wouldn’t depend on that either.

nwill1
    Free Member

I’m mechanically challenged…however this was super easy, I didn’t even have the yellow block or a vice!

Also there was no need to bleed so as above follow the above, even better search you tube, I watched a vid that made it very clear.

shedfull
    Free Member

The Epic site has a hose cutter that does a very good job of getting a clean, square cut. You’ll need to cut the hose, insert a new spigot and olive and reconnect the hose. If you keep the hose upright while you work, you don’t usually need to bleed – just connect the hose , tighten the collar and check that you’ve got brake pressure.

superleggero
    Free Member

If you are worried about inserting the needle into the hose properly then Jagwire do an excellent needle insertion tool which is idiot proof (eg me) at £17.73:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jagwire-Needle-Driver-2-0-Black/dp/B003RLJFZU/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt . Review and more info here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/01/05/review-ja/

I’ve also got their hose cutter which is excellent too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jagwire-Spaceage-Hydraulic-Hose-Cutter/dp/B003RLCB3S/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C0P1BPN6MW0VCAHBMPZ . Though the epic one looks like it’ll do just as good a job.

I’ve done quite a few Shimano brakes and can vouch for the Jagwire tools.

VanHalen

follow epics instructuions.

i used molgrips for the yellow blck and a hammer to tap in pin thing. regular pliers to cut the hose.

i needed to open bleed screw on lever after reassmebly and pushing back pistons to get the air out of teh lever reservoir. (cos the air was stopping the pistons going all the way back).

it really is easy.

I will be buying a bleed kit though as i`m not 100% convinced i wont get air in the hose at some point as there must be residual air in the oil reservoir.

teasel
    Free Member

I purchased one of those Jagwire insertion thingies just because I wanted to try them. They’re good and makes the job a pleasure but it’s now just sat there in my toolbox staring at me every time I open the lid, begging me to put it to use – ‘s not gonna happen for some time.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I used the clamp on my bike stand to hold the yellow blocks as I dont have a vice…works a treat.

I would invest in a set of cable cutters, make life so much easier than using a stanley, and mine were £12 from a hardware store. They look exactly the same as the pedros/park ones..Considering the amount of times you will have to trim new brake/gear cables and shorten new brake hoses, its worth it, and one of my favourite tools.

gonzy
    Free Member

i get what the Epic is saying but say for example i need to shorten the front hose – pulling the lever will force out the pistons at the caliper with the pads removed…this will move the fluid out of the lever and into the hose and caliper so in order to remove a couple of inches of brake hose shouldnt be a problem.
    but for the rear it looks like i’ll need to chop off at least 6 inches of brake hose…but by using the above method, wont i lose the brake fluid that will be in that removed 6 inch section of hose and will it reduce the amount of fluid in the rear brake and therefore affect its performance?

VanHalen

yes you remove a bit of fluid but also you dont need the bit of fluid removed as you`ve just cut off the bit of hose it needed to fill.

the pumping out of pistons means that when you reassemble and push em back in, the air bubble created by shortening etc is pushed into teh master fluid reservoir. kind of like a mini reverse bleed.

whatever you do dont bugger about with teh lever before you reattach the hose or you may lose too much fluid.

oh as i mentioned above i opened the bleed screw on the lever after i pushed the pistons back and it let air out.

gonzy
    Free Member

thanks van halen…the bleed screw was going to be my next question…i’ll give it a shot this weekend.

gonzy
    Free Member

Well I finally got round to shortening the hoses. I followed the Epic instructions and it was pretty straight forward.
    I’m pretty pleased with the results as I don’t think the brakes need bleeding…but my finger did after I nearly sliced it off!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘whats the best way to shorten a shimano hose?’ is closed to new replies.