• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Whats the best way to look after a EBB
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Not had one before, is there anything one can do to stop creaking and ensure when pinch bolts are undone that the BB can move to adjust chain etc.
    Few comments here and there about creaking BB’s and ones seized ?

Thanks 🙄

RealMan
    Free Member

Different types of grease. Copper grease seems to work quite well. Be generous (cover the thing). Make sure you do the bolts up as tight as recommended. Don’t wash the bike with a hose, bucket and sponge and brushes.

Learn to ignore it.

bungie
    Free Member

Been running a Rig and a Chameleon for a while now without problem. Copper slip might make them a bit to slippy and prone to slacken. I always use a thin cover of PTFE tape and lots of grease. Tighten up real tight and never a had a problem.

epicyclo

I suspect many of the people who have EBB problems may have overtightened them and ovalised the shell.

I grease mine. No problems.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Which one do you have, on which frame. Need different approaches for each type but most can be be made to work really well witha little tlc.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Thinking singular swift frame

mustard
    Free Member

No issues with the one on my Swift, apparently Phil Woods are the best but I wouldn’t know.

In fact I think I was supposed to get mine replaced when Sam got more in as he sent me one from a demo bike to get me going until they arrived, but I never saw the point as I couldn’t see what difference it would have made…

Swift is an ace bike too – fact!

Sam

On a Singular you don’t need to do much. It should come prepped and greased. You should not over torque the bolts – recommended torque is 5-6Nm. If it does start to make noise (as any metal on metal contact can over time when it dries out and dirt gets in there)then you simply remove a crank arm (and a cup if you have an external BB), back the set screws off, slide the whole thing out, clean and grease, put it all back together again.

I suspect many of the people who have EBB problems may have overtightened them and ovalised the shell.

Very true, if you crank the bolts down too hard you can do two things – one is ovalise the shell – the other is if you are in the thinnest part of the ebb it can be deformed. Neither are good, though the latter can be fixed with a new eccentric.

Mustard – glad you are enjoying the bike. The reason to get a replacement was so that you had a nice shiny new one along with your frame. Apologies for having forgotten about it. If you would like one just drop me a line.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best way to look after a EBB’ is closed to new replies.