Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • whats the best way to insure 2 family cars?
  • sadexpunk

me and the wife have a car each. ive never claimed in me life, so have around 35 yrs no claims if thats even possible and my wife has now accrued 2 yrs no claims (new driver) but also gave up her job. believe it or not (im sure you can), the premium has now gone up as a result of packing her job in, even tho shes now driving less as shes not commuting!
    at present theyre both insured through admiral and lapse in a few days, so id like to swap.

just not sure what i need to be looking at to make it as cheap as poss. id like my wife to keep accruing more no claims if possible, so no piggy backing onto my policy.
    just googled it and seen multi car policies, but i just dont know if that assumes i own both cars.

whats the best/cheapest/less faff method of insuring both cars so im main driver of mine, shes main driver of hers, and we’re both allowed to drive each others car too? totally separate policies or one ‘joint policy’?

thanks

br
    Free Member

Separately IME

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Separately IME

+1. If you use a household multi car policy it gives the insurer more latitude to eff you around come renewal time. It may also link you to her, or her to your accidents.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    finishthat
    Free Member

Separate – online compare site – saved me £400 today for 10 mins clicking
    now insured with same company that quoted £400 more for renewal …

nickjb
    Free Member

Another vote for separate policies. Adding you to her policy as a named driver might bring it down a bit.

Kryton57

I had a multi car policy. It went up. I got the cheapeast two quotes, phoned the multicar place with the result who reduced it by the same amount plus an exta £32 as if by magic.

This happens in an annual basis.

bensales
    Free Member

I’d also recommend separately, for NCB purposes etc, however some insurers will give a discount if you have more than one policy with them. Both our cars are with Direct Line but on two distinct policies. One in my name with me as the only driver, the other in my wife’s name with me as a named driver. So she gets her NCB and I get mine, but DL give a discount on the second policy taken out.

matt_outandabout

Separately.
    Both cost @£166 with full business miles with Direct Line, I buy separate legal policy to cover all the houshold ‘what ifs?’ and its cheaper than home and two car insurance legal cover.

I add a guaranteed hire car to one, as mrs_oab would be stuffed for work without hers for even a day, where my work would hire me one.

sadexpunk

thanks a lot, separate it is then.

cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘whats the best way to insure 2 family cars?’ is closed to new replies.