Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What's the best vehicle for …..
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

a family (2 adults and 2 young children) who like camping and biking etc. A vehicle with lots of boot space, practical and economical. Not fussed about looks. Already have in mind a Skoda Octavia or a Toyota Avensis (estates for both).

Inspire me STW if you can, I’m open to anything that is fit for purpose….cheers.

jam-bo

do you like to ‘make progress’ ?

IA

Berlingo or Partner. Mk3 is a lot more useful* and drives better too.

*seats come out easy, so 3 + 3 bikes wheeled in wheels on goes easily.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Seat Alhambra/Ford Galaxy. If I had the money I’d have another in an instant.

ade9933
    Free Member

erlingo or Partner. Mk3 is a lot more useful* and drives better too.

Really?? A van drives better than a car?

I can see benefits to the van option but I wouldn’t say drive quality is one IMHO.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I think he meant that it drives better than the previous model berlingos

northernmatt

Currently got a Berlingo Mk3, had it for just over 2yrs and will do exactly what you need. Loads of boot space even with all 3 seats in, it helps that the roof is quite high. We have done a few weeks in France, a few week trips to the Peak/Lakes and I’ve done a trip to the Alps in it. Never missed a beat despite all the horror stories you hear about the 1.6 HDi engine. Averages about 44mpg around town and will do 48mog on a long run if you stick to 75mph. For something based on a van it’s pretty comfortable for long trips. Not fast though but if you just want something that goes and stops it’ll do you fine.

<shameless plug>

It’s also for sale. You can email if you’re interested. It’s in my profile.

</shameless plug>

MoreCashThanDash

If I had the money, I’d go Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy.

As I don’t, we are now on our second Octavia estate. Tow bar rack for bikes, roof box for excess camping kit.

dknwhy

I’ve just put a deposit down on a Tourneo custom titanium, for exactly this kind of thing. Excited? You bet!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Been driving a Berlingo van (current one) a lot recently, the lack of air con is horrible but driving wise it’s just like a small French car – light controls, inoffensive, easy to hussle about town. less good on the motorway, but better in town than my Exeo.

I’d imagine that with the extra refinement of not having a massive empty metal box behind you that seems to amplify everything it would make a lovely practical car. It’s never gone wrong, but it’s only done 7000 miles.

SaxonRider

What about the VW Caddy Life? Friends of ours have one which they drive between Cumbria and Germany all the time, and I am quite impressed.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’ve only just sold my Maxi Life after almost 3yrs of ownership.
    Nothing other than servicing costs.
    Swallows bikes, kit, people.
    DSG is very good, cruise and high mpg.
    Mattbee of this parish has sold his T5 and would’ve bought it off me other than it wouldn’t allow him to up the size of his caravan at a later date.
    Know of a couple of other T5 owners swapping for them due to how they drive and are kitted out.

Cougar

Mondeo. </thread>

chewkw
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy – Member
    Already have in mind a Skoda Octavia or a Toyota Avensis (estates for both).

Those are my preferred choice so just get one with automatic gear.

maxtorque

economy is all relative yeah?? 😆

garage-dweller

As someone who has recently done the whole new family car thing…

Octavia – probably too small for what your describe unless you are minimalist campers.

I would expect the van/people carrier options above to be best for the family stuff you describe. I would caveat i’ve never owned one but based on space and practicality I reckon hard to beat. We nearly went that route.

Then you get to where we ended up which is how many miles it will do empty (ie just the driver) and what will it be doing on those days? In our case that ultimately killed off the van based options because for 12-15000 miles a year I am sat in it on my own on a diet of motorway and a roads. With the economy and performance loss it ended in big estates. I’ll stick the bikes outside and ram everything else in for the big family trips.

If we need extra seats to lug elderly relatives on a long trip once a year we decided we ‘ll rent a Galaxy and tolerate the cost (for anyone who remembers my seven seater/moon on stick thread).

I bought a passat DSG in the end. From driving several of each the Mk4 Mondeo drives better. It’s boot is bigger I o would say/guess. Passat of same age had satnav and a fraction cheaper so it won.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’ve just got a new Dacia Locan MCV (don’t laugh). It has the biggest boot of any estate car (apart from a Volvo V70.)I went for the TCe90 turbo petrol and, while no doubt it won’t be quick enough for the Top Gear ****, it manages to overtake fortytards* comfortably without thrashing the engine and it gets 50mpg or so, so tax band B (£30)

The best part is it was only £9000 (including my metallic paint upgrade) so plenty of money left over for actually having fun with. It’s heading to Scotland in a few weeks with 2 adults, 2 kids, 4 bikes and all our camping kit.

*fortytards: Those people who just drive at 40 everywhere, regardless of whether the speed limit is 20, 30, 40 or 60.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Normal car/estate plus biggish trailer, either a box (so bikes inside) or flat topped (with bikes on top).

As long as you have somewhere to store it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HjK96o]Rievaulx 16.07.15 040[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Had 2 Passat estates previously, 1st one was the best car I’ve ever owned & the 2nd one (straight after) was the worst. This Mundano is noticeably bigger, feels as solid, has more stuff (cooled seats FFS!) but not quite as economic. Different but on a par with the Passat AFAIC. I’ve had a 3 seater settee in the back of the Mondeo. Depends if you want a van or a car.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Good replies. Hadn’t thought of the Belingo (although I will have to reassess my idea of not being bothered about looks because the Belingo is definitely not stylish).

@garage-dweller – you may be right about Octavia – but I’d planned on adding a tow bar (for using with a small trailer) since our kit comes to alot on our summer camps. However, the vehicle probably won’t he used for much commuting so an MPV type thing can be considered.

@ghostlymachine – I see you write what we’d thought too.

Been some good inspiration here. Cheers.

ade9933
    Free Member

I think he meant that it drives better than the previous model berlingos

ah thanks!

re estate car, recently bought a scooby legacy – not completely un-fun to drive. Lot better than the people carrier needed to have 3 iso-fix seats for the kids when they were younger but still an estate car…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Was in a Superb estate the other day, very nice and a bit bigger than the Octavia.

The original people movers are great bike/camping cars, flexible seating arrangements and fully removable. My mtb mate had a few, chipped fhe diesel for more pwer and economy. Two bikes, tons of spares, big family tent and car still only 40% full.

garage-dweller

I’d planned on adding a tow bar (

That’d do it I reckon. You could also go camping kit in roof box, bikes on tilting rack. That way no speed restrictions. It’s what we did when I was a kid with Saab 900/9000 hatches except no tilt on the rack and pulling it all out through the back seats

Four touring/road bikes and two weeks of camping kit on that combo back in the days of huge frame tents where the poles for a four man tent took up more space than a whole modern tent.

Harry_the_Spider

As an SMax owner I will recommend an SMax.

Just took 6 of us away for a week (with a top box) and averaged 43 mpg.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve test driven so many cars in the last month it’s doing my nut in. Nothing i’ve driven seems nicer to drive than my current Avensis estate. Unfortunately with 160k+ on the clock and regularly being 4 up with the kids in the back it’s probably time to get something newer.

Quasqai +2 was just plastic and really disconnected
    SMax fits the bill the best but i really want to have a go in the 2.2D or the 2.5T (yeah, i’m mid 30’s and only ever owned a 1.6 Ibiza and an Avensis estate)
    Grand Cmax was just way too small but the sliding doors were cool
    Landy Disco 3 fits the bill as well but obviously thirsty with a 2.7D lump and an awful lot to go wrong.

Going to have a look at the Hyundai Sante Fe and the big Kia thing this weekend, they seem to be loaded with toys and people seem to be shifting on the Kias just out of the 7 year warranty with FSHs

If it were down to me it would probably be an Alhambra with the sliding doors, unfortunately the Mrs won’t drive a bus!

fifeandy
    Free Member

If you are going to Hyundai, take a look a the i40 tourer.

Northwind

Avensis is decent, we’ve had a couple for work cars, they get the arse kicked out of them but they’ve never let us down. Octavia not really all that big tbh.

And yeah, Mondeo. Mine is a perfidious shitewheel but it’s still bloody good at the job. It is big though, I’ve got a wee bit of a complex now about supermarkets whose car parking spaces are too small for it. Actually not that much bigger than the avensis, I think, but it just tips it over the edge

molgrips
    Free Member

If you’re getting a Skoda get a Superb. Gigantic, and still a car.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Clearly a Range Rover, alternatively another vote for a Mondeo. Massive and lovely.

A Ford Galaxy from (4?) years ago has lost a massive amount of boot space as the floors not hold the flat folding seats (which were also not as comfy)that used to be completely removea=ble. It’s lost it’s appeal IMO unless you must have the third row of seats.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

depends do you want your next three threads to be…
    What bike rack
    what roof box
    what trailer
    why does it take so long to pack the car?

dknwhy

mikewsmith – Member
    depends do you want your next three threads to be…
    What bike rack
    what roof box
    what trailer
    why does it take so long to pack the car?

😆

This is me! Had this for the last 7 years with our Kia carens estate. Even with a massive roofbox, it’s a drag to fit camping stuff for 4 people for a two week holiday. It’s why I’ve gone for the Tourneo.

dknwhy

^ Love Google translate.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What's the best vehicle for …..’ is closed to new replies.