Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • What's the best ultra-lightweight waterproof jacket?
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

My wife has given away my faithful old Paclite jacket to her brother, claiming ‘you don’t wear it ever anyway’. 😐 It’s true, it doesn’t get used that often, but it’s bloody handy when it is needed.

So, I need a new one. She has a fantastic one from Decathlon we bought a few years ago (because she wanted a nice lightweight waterproof like mine that she often borrowed 🙄 ); it’s super lightweight, very breathable, and very waterproof. Cost around £90 and I think that was in a sale. I thought it superior to my Paclite, as it is lighter and more breathable/less sweaty. Sadly, Decathlon have stopped doing them for some inexplicable reason (apparently they were very popular, so it makes no sense!).

So what’s out there that’s really good? Don’t mind paying a bit as it will hopefully last a good few years. Needs to be very lightweight (I have other heavier duty stuff for winter etc), and very breathable. Comfortable on and off the bike. A hood would be good. Zipped pockets are quite useful. And something that doesn’t scream ‘outdoor pursuits’ would be nice. Moon on a stick I know. But is there anything beyond the usual stuff you get in high st outdoor shops? What have YOU got? Experiences and opinions welcome, as usual. 😀

bluebird
    Free Member
    clodhopper
    Free Member

That looks perfect (the running version)- apart from the fact it’s not actually available anywhere. 🙁

skeletor

How much do you want to spend? My 7mesh Revelation jacket is the best one I own, but it’s bloody pricey! http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/7mesh-revelation-jacket/

I also have a Resistance, which is ridiculously light but doesn’t have a hood.

nedrapier

I bought a Madison Flux after recommendations on here. Lightweight, comfy, hooded, pocketed, waterproof as far as I’ve tested it. Bit sweaty, when you’re going hard, but that’s what you get if you want to keep the rain out. No idea how it compares with other jackets on that front. There’s a few punched holes in the pits rather than zipped vents, so you’re unzipping the front if you want to dump moisture/heat.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought an alpkit gravitas about a month ago. It’s ultralight, packs down small and has a hood. I tested it out on a 4 hour walk in pouring rain and I was dry underneath and it’s very breathable.

Only has 1 chest pocket though. No hand pockets was a concern before buying but I don’t miss them, if its raining you wouldn’t have your hands in open pockets anyway.

I’m very pleased with it.

jam-bo

I like my arcteryx beta lt but wish I bought the alpha fl instead.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“How much do you want to spend?”

As much as is necessary. But not on something in such a hideous colour! 😡

“Bit sweaty, when you’re going hard, but that’s what you get if you want to keep the rain out.”

Nothing can ever be truly waterproof and breathable, but the better stuff is less sweaty. My wife’s jacket is excellent in this regard; I wouldn’t want it for heavy duty/winter use, but it’s perfect when it’s not very cold.

Miguelo

I have a OMM Kamleika
    Intended use is fell running so quite light and breathable, it’s been great and very versatile. A bit pricier than one from Decathlon though.

It looks better in the flesh.

nickc

problem I’ve found is that “doesn’t look too outdoor” and “remain in any way effective at all” are often far to competing elements to be doable in one jacket.

I’ve pretty much given up on the One Jacket to Rule Them All, and bought a wildly expensive one from Mission workshop for biking duties. It was heinously, runiously expensive (£300) but is totally waterproof and very very breathable

Meridian

clodhopper
    Free Member

“problem I’ve found is that “doesn’t look too outdoor” and “remain in any way effective at all” are often far to competing elements to be doable in one jacket.”

I think you’re right. But what I meant was, not too hideous in terms of colour and style. I see that Ron Hill stuff is still around! 😯 You know what I mean. Nothing nasty.

I am liking the Arcteryx stuff for this reason. Trouble is, it’s pretty ubiquitous in this middle class suburb, which puts me off a bit. I have no issue wearing Decathlon gear (often just as good as stuff costing 2, 3 times as much). Jam Bo; why the Alpha over the Beta?

Don’t mind spending a bit on something that will work well and last. My Paclite cost about £120 15 years ago I think, but gave good service. Wasn’t used heavily, but did a great job. Why did my wife give it away ffs? 🙄
    Things have moved on a bit from then though. More choice of fabrics/technology, brands, styles etc.

jam-bo

Jam Bo; why the Alpha over the Beta?

I rarely if ever use the pockets on the LT, the alpha FL packs down smaller/lighter. other than that I think they are pretty much the same.

goretex pro is a great fabric.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Thanks. Wondering about layers; 3-layer is for more ‘extreme’ use; I have a particularly nasty* Sprayway jacket which is GoreTex XCR, extremely waterproof, heavy duty, good for getting about in filthy weather for ages. Too heeavy and sweaty for bike/light use though.

*It’s **** horrible. I’ve only got it because I bought it for something like £50 (was a £300 jacket) because it was ‘damaged’ (had a dirty mark which washed off). Why didn’t she give that away? I wouldn’t have minded. Why does insist on culling MY clothes? She’d go mad if I gave any of her stuff away without permission. 👿

noltae
    Free Member

have a look at the 3XDRY®
    A SCHOELLER® TECHNOLOGY

benp1

The best jacket is the one you have with you. The Berghaus Hyperlight smock or jacket is as small as a windproof jacket. As a result it’s easy to take it with you just in case. Mine lives in my commuting bag

It’s too ultralight to wear with a pack though. My paclite jacket lives in the car just in case

clodhopper
    Free Member

“The best jacket is the one you have with you. “

🙄 I haven’t bloody got one to have with me.

Sorry. Still a bit miffed.

I might go and buy a really nice one for silly money, which will really piss her off. 😆

joolsburger
    Free Member

Was pondering this exact question over the weekend and read a bunch of reviews visited many websites and came to the conclusion that the POC jobbie is probably first on the list but it’s 250 quid. I’m getting an Endura MTR which may not be as durable but it’s only 80 ish Endura do have a good warranty dept if needed.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Keela Saxon.

Brilliant, breathable, lightweight, hood that actually goes over helmet (with securing flap), packs small and is acceptable to wear to the pub.

Its bright blue which is good for visibility, and cheap enough you won’t cry if you damage it.

bails

Can you not just go and get yours back from her brother?

clodhopper
    Free Member

No. For various reasons, that’s not an option.

bails

Okay.

Alpkit do the Gravitas and Balance.

I ordered a Balance at the weekend, which explains the unseasonably warm weather we’ve currently got.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Another vote for the Madison Flux Lite here . It’s the first waterproof that I’ve ever had that doesn’t make me sweat like a hairy pig and keeps the water out . Ideally the hood would be removable but other than that it’s really good . Not silly money either at around £100 .

martinhutch

PTFU and get on the phone to her brother. Or pick a couple of her favourite outfits and make sure they’re hanging in the charity shop window next time she goes past.

Oppression needs to be confronted in every setting! 🙂

If direct action isn’t your thing, I can recommend the alpkit one!

puddings
    Free Member

Some of the jackets above, although fine jackets are more suited to the darker colder months when you set out wearing the jacket. I have various Endura, Arcteryx, Patagonia and Paramo jackets that fulfil that task and they are all to heavy just to shove in the bag for a ride with a risk of a shower in the summer.
    For the summer, my bag jacket is a Marmot Crux. Not as waterproof as the heavy weights but I don’t get too sticky in it, it packs up small (easily fits in the front pouch of an osprey raptor), is light and best of all is reasonably priced (few people know the brand so often heavily discounted by the likes of Cotswold and Millet-Sports)

honourablegeorge

skeletor – Member

My 7mesh Revelation jacket is the best one I own,

Question for you (and othr expensive jacket woners) – a couple of years back I got quite a nice Sugoi rain jacket as a present. Not an expenive jacket relative to the 7mesh or some others, but certainly expensive enough that I was hugely pissed off when I snagged it on a branch riding through the forest othe next day, and put a three inch rip in the shoulder.

So the question for me is durability, really – are any of these jackets tough enough to cope with that sort of thin, or the odccasional crash, etc? I could justify spending cash on a good jacket if I thought it would last, but the chances of expensive damage just puts them in the same category as Di2 mechs for offroad for me.

bails

@martinhutch Is that the Gravitas or Balance? How do you find it?

martinhutch

Gravitas – v good. I normally favour pack size over breathability, but this feels like it does both.

skeletor

So the question for me is durability, really – are any of these jackets tough enough to cope with that sort of thin, or the odccasional crash, etc? I could justify spending cash on a good jacket if I thought it would last, but the chances of expensive damage just puts them in the same category as Di2 mechs for offroad for me.

Despite its lightweight it does seem fairly robust – it’s made from Goretex Pro shell which isn’t as flimsy as some cheaper lightweight fabrics. I have a Polaris jacket for commuting which feels a lot flimsier.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“So the question for me is durability, really – are any of these jackets tough enough to cope with that sort of thin, or the odccasional crash, etc? I could justify spending cash on a good jacket if I thought it would last, but the chances of expensive damage just puts them in the same category as Di2 mechs for offroad for me.”

My old Paclite survived 15 years without any damage, maybe I was lucky, but it was pretty tough. I think the more expensive fabrics are more durable without being significantly heavier. Some of the suggestions here are for very flimsy items, hence why I’m prepared to spend a bit. I’ve always found getting a quality item pays off in the long run. And the truth is, I’m not so bothered about the old one now, as it gives me an excuse to buy something new. 😉

Think I might have to pop into town in a bit, to go and try some on. That means going into the West End descending into Hades. Thankfully it’s not as hot as it has been the last two days.

beanum

This got a very good review, totally waterproof and very breathable. No hood though…
    Road.cc review Bontrager Velocis

Good review of the Gravitas here:
    UK Climbing

superrob
    Free Member

endura mtr emergency jacket. Lightweight, waterproof, breathable.

twistedpencil

Bet she hasn’t worn that wedding dress much recently, I think you should give that away to restore the balance, would it fit the brother in law?

fatmax

endura mtr emergency jacket. Lightweight, waterproof, breathable.

Add ‘sensible money’ to that list too. I like mine for showery weather or just throwing in a pack just in case.

epicyclo

I’ve got 2 Montane Pertex jackets. One crumples up to the size of a clementine, the other about the size of an apple.

Highly breathable. Use them in the ‘Puffer for sleet.

Not totally waterproof, but you stay warm.

iainc

I have a few of the ones that have been listed above, namely : Keela Saxon, Endura MTR Shell and Madison Flux.

For me, the Madison is best for mountain biking – good close fit, stretchy, breathes well. The Keela is the best for off bike – good big hood, good pockets, bit too flappy for my liking for riding.

The Endura MTR lives in my pack on the bike and get used on those rides which start dry and then get wet. It is very good, but pretty bike specific in fit.

They are all light weight and pack up small, The MTR goes tiny, Keela and Madison similar size and weight when folded tight – would easily go in a pack, or a back pocket at a push.

clodhopper
    Free Member

So, a trip into town proved fruitless. Even my lunch was dissapointing. 🙁

Still it was better being out on a bike, than stuck inside somewhere. 🙂

The trip did reveal that most waterproof jackets are absolutely hideous, in fit and style. Particularly any ‘bike’ specific ones. The only one I actually liked, was an Arc’teryx Interstate. Good fit, high quality and actually wearable. But then I had a word with myself; any jacket will live most of it’s life stuffed in a pouch, in the bottom of a pack or pannier. It’s only use is to provide protection from rain, when getting wet would be an issue in terms of personal well-being. I can bear getting a bit damp if I’ve only got a 30-minute or less ride home (I generally ride my Brompton around town, so can aways hop on public transport if it’s really unbearable). The rare occasions I venture off-road anywhere, I might need something decent, hence not minding spending a bit. So it did give me an opportunity to consider what I need, rather than what I want. And tbh, a basic £100 or less stuffable lightweight jacket would do the job; for more ‘extreme’ use, I might need something a bit better. So I might just get something basic for now, and keep looking around (typical that it’s just the time of season when all the lines change in the shops, and all the heavier winter gear comes out…).

And being able to go and actually try stuff on is so important; long live actual shops!

treklass

+1 for the Montane. I’ve had mine 3 years and it gets used as a showerproof jacket all year round. Mine is the Velo version, so a cycling cut.

kcr
    Free Member

I can recommend the Vaude Skyfly. Excellent waterproofing and breathability, packs down small enough to go in a pocket. It’s about £100 now. It’s a pure riding jacket, so close fit, no hood and only a wee zip pocket. I’ve used one for a few years for commuting and it’s also kept me warm and dry on some very wet long distance rides.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

If you can stomach buying from Mountain Warehouse I’ve got one of these. Google discount codes and you’ll get it for just over £30:

Fortitude jacket

It folds into an internal pocket to about the size of a grapefruit. It’s been pretty good so far.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What's the best ultra-lightweight waterproof jacket?’ is closed to new replies.