Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What's the best ride in the Lake District, and can you ride Striding Edge?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Hi,

I've got a few days free at the end of October and am looking to do some riding on proper mountains in the Lakes. Where's the best ride? I was looking at Helvellyn, but people say that's not actually got the best stuff (it's better for walking). Is this true? I'm looking for proper big country, massive descents – I'd love to ride Striding Edge – is this possible? If this isn't the best riding, where is? I don't mind big climbs/rough descents/rain but will it actually be safe to ride at this time of year? If you've been, I'd love to hear your stories.

I hit Coed y Brenin for the first time in August and was blown away but am looking for something a bit more rough and wild this time.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I was looking at Helvellyn, but people say that's not actually got the best stuff (it's better for walking). Is this true?

Best is a state of mind, rather than a geographical location 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

You can't ride Striding Edge.

If you want an epic descent, Dollywagon/Grisedale Tarn route off Helvellyn is good – v steep and rocky. No reason you couldn't ride it at this time of year although of course it could be cold/nasty weather up top.

crazy-legs

I'd love to ride Striding Edge – is this possible?

No, it's footpath and fairly dangerous exposed FP at that, definitely not the sort of place to be going biking.
    I think Helvellyn is one of those classic rides (like High Street) that everyone should do once but (IMHO) it's a lot of hard work for not a huge reward, there's better climbs and descents in the Lakes.

Under the Trail Guides tab up there ^^ is this section for NW England:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/category/uk/north-west/

There's several excellent Lakes routes listed there.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Half term approaches I think. Grockles to the right of him, grockles to the left.

grumm
    Free Member

Coniston-Torver-Seathwaite-Coniston is a good un, as is something involving Garburn Pass.

jhw
    Free Member

thanks for this info! I'll read up on the stuff you suggest and post here if any further q's.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Crazy Legs is spot on about Helvellyn. The ride you MUST do, but it's not that good really (IMO)
    We did a Triffic one from Ambleside out of my mates book. Well it was Triffic till he fell off & bust his wrist dropping down to Little Langdale.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

+1 for coniston,torver,seathwaite,coniston (as in walna scar) is a cracker.Also agree what others have said about helvellyn.We rode it two weeks ago.It's ok,more for the views than anything.Not for us though,visability was bad due to low cloud 👿

boxelder

From Wheelbase in Stavely, taking in Garburn, Kentmere, Lonsleddle, over to Haweswater, back over Gatescarth Pass to Kentmere and Stavely.
    Wilfs Cafe.
    that should rival CyB

erny
    Free Member

+2 for the coniston route,did it on saturday for the first time,very good route

geetee1972
    Free Member

Apparently you can ride down from Pavey Ark, down Rosett Ghyll. Have a look at the picture on the Ibis Long Term review thread.

I've only walked it but it must be amazing to ride down.

jhw
    Free Member

thanks again for these tips. Sound like tonnes of options. It's going to be a good weekend!

Do you have to go with a local/someone who already knows the trails, or is the good stuff pretty obvious? WIth all these options it sounds pretty easy to get lost or miss the good stuff. Do any local shops sell trailmaps of the good mountain bike trails, like the annotated ones you can get for the Peak District around Edale? Otherwise I'll go through back issues of MBR etc.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

MBR is famous for plotting routes backwards 🙁

GaVgAs
    Free Member

As sfb says,Theres plenty of guide books and route maps out there with varying opinions and advice on the "best" routes.

In the Lakes its possible to do the climbs on the road and decents off road.or any way you like,depending on your preferences for a ride.

Local knowledge makes a hudge difference to a good day out,I would avoid lots of certain routes due to the bogs and popularity with walkers,but a after a hard frost,a long period of dry weather, or depending on the time of day it can make the trail so much more enjoyable. 🙂

I think Helvellyn takes some beating as a high level route but it really depends on what you want out of it,long fast decent off the Dodds? 🙂 or at the other extreme Dollywagon to Paterdale via Grisedale Tarn. 😈

grumm
    Free Member

I should be on commission or something but you won't go far wrong if you get the VG Guide Book imo. Generally great routes plus very clear maps and route descriptions.

crazy-legs

The following shops all sell trail maps and also the Vertebrate Graphics guide book to the Lakes:
    Evans Cycles, Kendal
    Wheelbase, Staveley
    BikeTreks, Ambleside
    Keswick Mountain Bikes, Keswick

One of those should be close-ish to wherever you're staying. Routes available under the Trail Guides tab up top as well. Also worth a look on the Bogtrotters website (click simonfbarnes profile tab, link is on there), there's maps, route descriptions etc up there and I'm sure they'd be happy for you to tag along on one of their weekend rides.

trailmonkey

+1 for the VG book. Everything I've done out of that book has been fantastic. Which sort of suprisdes me as the QED one for the SW is really pretty crap.

lowey

You wont go far wrong with this…. (click to make bigger)

3 classic descents in there.

HElvellyn is a good day out but in terms of riding, I dont really rate it.

erny
    Free Member

Did Loweys route on saturday,very very good route bit of a killer though,cheers for route lowey

liquid1000
    Free Member

Yes thanks Lowey we had a great day out even though Erny was a bit tired this morning ;0)

erny
    Free Member

I seem to remember waiting for you at the top of the climbs Steve

jhw
    Free Member

really helpful – thanks!

stufield
    Free Member

15 years ago I was at the top of Helvellen in the snow easter weekend and a woman came over striding edge shouldering her bike, put it down at the cairn and got out a packet of fags to celebrate her achievment

I'd say you can do it if you really want but there are nicer rides for the effort.

grumm
    Free Member

Carrying your bike up Striding Edge might be an achievement but it's not a bike ride – there's really very little of it that would be rideable. The way up from Dockray is probably 80% rideable if I remember rightly. (not saying I rode 80% of it though 🙂 )

tragically1969
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    Apparently you can ride down from Pavey Ark, down Rosett Ghyll

There is one hell of a lot of ground in between Pavey Ark and Rossett Ghyll !!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What's the best ride in the Lake District, and can you ride Striding Edge?’ is closed to new replies.