Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • what's the best glue/epoxy?
  • rolkin
    Free Member

i want to do some gluing, carbon infused nylon plastics . i'm thinking either, j-b weld or 2 ton epoxy. has anyone used these, or can give me another suggestion?

thanks.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

araldite is a good epoxy resin

sharkbait
    Free Member

I've used JB Weld on some stuff and found it to be very good (the JB Weld Quick is not as good as the normal version). All sorts of uses including fixing the plastic filler neck on a tractor radiator – no problems.
    Araldite is good but not AS good.

MikeG

I like gorilla glue, so far it's stuck everything I've tried it on really well. The only disadvantage against jb weld etc is that the two pieces have to be a good close fit it does expand when it cures but doesn't seem to be anything like as strong where theres a big gap.

BigJohn

A boat chandler will usually have epoxy resins. The standard stuff seems to be polyeurethane resin but that melts the foam in surfboards which is why sailors use epoxy.

jonb
    Free Member

Araldite make lots of different epoxy resins!

You should consider if you require flex as some epoxy/amine combinations aren't flexible.

You should also consider UV durability (is it going to be exposed to the sun?) Epoxies are generally poor in the sunlight.

My only tip would be to say that surface preparation is everything. Other than that I could bore you with some chemistry.

stompy

West system…….. marine grade epoxy. They stick boats together with the stuff (not 2 boats 'together'….)

rolkin
    Free Member

thanks all!

forgot to mention flex might be an issue, sun light not a problem. i think i'll maybe try the j-b weld, apparently quite flexy and strong.

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

coffeeking
    Free Member

I tink if you're looking for a technical usage where specific properties are required you're better speaking to the company themselves (someone like araldite) rather than buying a tub of generic stuff. I've 3 different epoxies in my drawer here and some polyester in the shed – they're all very different.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘what's the best glue/epoxy?’ is closed to new replies.