Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Whats the best chippy in your area?
  • Pigface
    Free Member

The name and where it is please.

Colins Fish Bar in Pontllanfraith, Blackwood

Skewen Fish Bar, Skewen, Neath

loddrik
    Free Member

China Panda, Aigburth Rd, Liverpool.

LeeW

Wombourne fish bar, Wombourne.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Talk of the Town, Stainbeck Road, Leeds

yunki
    Free Member

Bovey Fish Bar, Bovey Tracey, Devon

Bregante

In my town it’s Barney’s, Brook Road, Flixton

but the real answer (although it’s 15 miles away) is

Armstrongs (the home of the Jumbo Cod), Bury Old Road, Prestwich.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

“The dug out” in Tamworth seems to be the most popular but the curry sauce is not up too scratch.

Belgrave fish bar takes it for me as it is at the bottom of my road, next to a pub and an off licence and the kebab meat is bordering on gourmet.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Sadly my only local chippy is crap.

Crag
    Free Member

Trawlerman in Drighlington on Whitehall Road, just up the road from Leeds. Stuff of legends.

sparkyrhino

Asquiths ,smawthorne lane ,Cas Vegas

lunge

Hungary Hill Chippy, Stourbridge. Proper stuff.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Francine’s, North Prospect Road, Plymouth. Also if you go any time after the middle of November they have a lifesize moving talking/singing Santa to irritate the bejeesus out of you whilst you queue. Oh yes, and there is invariably a queue (for a good reason).

HermanShake
    Free Member

Hard to narrow it down in Brighton! The following are nearest to me:

Fillets on Lewes Rd is good, also J&E Fish bar next door to Kums on Hollingbury Place.

J&E have a clock with “IT’S LATER THAN YOU THINK” handwritten around the edge. It doesn’t quite match the rest of the decor and seems profound because of this.

grum
    Free Member

Hodgsons in Lancaster

Has won various awards – http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4670504.stm

nuke

Sea Breeze in Dorking

Coyote
    Free Member

Nothing in Newton-Le-Willows. Fishician used to be the chippy of choice but it changed hands, they installed a kebab machine* and it went downhill from there.

*Not that I’ve got anything against kebabs, quite the opposite.

LoCo
    Free Member

The one in Risca by the park is ok, the other two are crap, one covers the all puts loads of MSG on everything resulting in Mrs L and myself feeling decidedly odd and not being able to get to sleep one night think they may have slipped with the packet on that batch 😯

Will check out Colins in Ponty on your advice Pigface.

neninja
    Free Member

Beedles in Bishop Auckland
    Burrells in Barnard Castle
    Clems in Shildon

BigJohn

I’m wondering whether the Captain will nominate the food hall in Harrods or Harvey Nicks. Maybe he’ll play safe and go with Rick Stein’s in Padstow.

Chris Fish & Chips, Rising Brook is where we usually go, but sometimes if Mrs Bigjohn & I are drunkenly riding back from the pub on Friday nights we stop in at the Windmill Chippy (rated #1 by Signal 1 FM!) for some well-needed carb & fat.

LoCo
    Free Member

Oh the mention of Padstein reminds me that there’s a really good one the top end of St Ives which is a match or better than Steins and doesn’t have the parking, queing or cost issues.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my local is jumbos in culter – its “not bad”

but coming from arbroath i was always spoilt for choice

cairnie chipper if mike was frying

claudes(golden haddock) if claude was frying

and marcos on the shore was a good standby always if mike or claude werent frying.

These days if i want a decent fish and chips and a sit on the beach to eat it as is a must with a fish supper then its off to the carron in stonehaven but only at weekend – their penchant for reheating chips on a midweek makes for mushy chips.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Winsboroughs/Whitstones in Shepton Mallet is lauded in the media [“Best Fish and Chips in Britain” – People Newspaper Nov 2005] and immensely popular to the extent it causes traffic jams on the A37. But actually we like Steve’s in the High Street. But we’re biased as Steve’s daughter is a friend 🙂

luke
    Free Member

Peter Pan’s in Dorchester

TJ’s in Poole

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh well then a bit of history for you (specific to our area)

We have only had 1 chip shop (A) in our area for the last 15 years. we have a few take aways (Indian and Chinese) and this is how it’s been for quite sometime. The all of a sudden we have 3 new chip shops popping up in the last year. The chip shop (A) had a monopoly and there was always a queue winding it’s way out the door and along the carpark and onto the cricket pitch, it was like that for 15 years. The quality of chips was excellent and I think it deserved its reputation and possibly the best. Then we had interlopers.. 3 of them (B), (C), (D). B is owned by an Indian family and is frankly rubbish, C is run by an English family and is Ok actually. D on the other hand is smack bang in the best area of the village on the way back from the River and it’s Pub, back into the village on the only road in/out and guess what.. it’s excellent, really really excellent. .It’s a bit expensive but the quality of the chips are superb. Chippy A still has it’s queues out the door but now chippy D has queues too.
    I don’t know whether more people are eating chips these days to support 4 chippys, but someones eating chips for sure.

andycs

Barracuda in Ossett.

loddrik
    Free Member

John Becks in Carbis Bay is pretty good too.

project
    Free Member

EDDIES CHIPPY Wrexham,
    down the hill from llandegla, over the bypass a494, over the railway brige, through the lights straight on and then turn left,at junction and eddies is on the right,

edlong
    Free Member

Hillycroft in Morley.

And before anyone parrots the guidebooks and says the Magpie in Whitby, the Quayside’s better. It just is, ok?

float
    Free Member

berties of highcliffe

i may be slightly biased cus i worked there over the summer, but loads of people who came in said the food tastes great. the place was cleaned every night and all the leftover food was thrown out at the end of every night (if it wasnt eaten by me first 🙂 )

mt
    Free Member

Captains Table, Slaithwaite (if you say wrong they’ll know you are a commerinner). Fish, Chips, mushy peas, two rounds of white bread with marg and a pot of tea, a bargin at £4.99. What more can you want at lunch.

cb

Grum – I lived in Hope Street many years ago – just up the road from Hodgeson’s. Was good then but not called that – very northern – only opened between 11.30 and 1.30 and then 4.30 until 6!

Pook

new cod on the block, Sheffield

excellent – as was broomhill friery when owned by the same proprietors.

djglover
    Free Member

Seen a few in Leeds above. Best chippy I have used in Leeds in Drakes on Potternewton Lane, superb.

midlifecrashes

Fish Bits, Sidings Roundabout, Doncaster. Usually a queue, but it’s there for a reason.

Garry_Lager

Local used to be Globetrotters in Bruntsfield, Edinburgh. Give it a 6.5/10 – decent but nothing special. Queuing out the door of an evening time, despite the fish supper costing an aspirational £6.
    Ketchup unavailable, in the land of salt n sauce.

weeksy

No idea, not been to one in a decade… it’s nearly 10 miles to the nearest one from my house.

mt
    Free Member

Wow thats terrible could you not move house.

CHB

Coes in Crossgates,Leeds is my favourite. Also Skyliner at Colton (Leeds again) is very good.
    Some great chippies near Morley too.

grahamg
    Free Member

Wells, Somerset – only tried two so far (the other one is across town – they’d be cold by the time I’ve walked home). Both utterly cack. I miss Kellaway Fish bar (Kellaway Avenue, Bristol).

crush83
    Free Member

Burton road chippy, burton road , lincoln

http://www.burtonroadchippy.co.uk/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best chippy in your area?’ is closed to new replies.