Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what's the best cable outer for bb7 road brakes
  • karnali
    Free Member

As it says, time for new outers and probably ditching to cross top levers. What’s the best cable outer to use for bb7 road discs?

Cheers

unovolo
    Free Member

I’m using Jagwire outers with good results, I think the biggest difference comes with careful setup and decent cable routing.

takisawa2

Bog standard Shimano stuff on ny mtb, with a stainless inner.
    To maintain, just pop out the inner, insert tube attached to Teflon spray can & blast till it comes out the other end.

BadlyWiredDog

I switched from standard Shimano to Jagwire compressionless cable on my cross bike with TRP Spyres and couldn’t believe how much stronger they felt just from changing the cable. Really impressed, particularly as I used to think the stuff about it improving cable brakes was a bit of a myth.

nedrapier

Jagwire here too. Good slice better than the (3 year old) XTR it replaced.

I did spend a bit if time messing about dremeling the cut ends sooth and square, nit sure how much of the difference that made up.

scaredypants

yeh, compressionless is good IME

binno
    Free Member

jagwire ripcord compression less run full length outers here. You scan buy the mtb stuff and simple swop out the inners for shimano 105 etc… all the same diameter stuff. Riun great on all the bikes i’ve built and use with them.

mrvear
    Free Member

Black ones. It’s brake cable and pretty much all the same. Compression less my arse.

jameso

Jagwire compressionless do make quite a difference. Pricey though.

BadlyWiredDog

Black ones. It’s brake cable and pretty much all the same. Compression less my arse.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Turns out I was wrong though and it makes an appreciable difference with cable disc brakes. Like I said above, I was quite surprised.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 jagwire compressionless

normal coiled stuff isn’t even close

antigee

some sort of SRAM compression less that matches the gear cables that I don’t think they do anymore? – I wouldn’t switch back though any outers are crap if badly fitted – def worth the time – have cx levers and like them for sat up in traffic but if didn’t use in city I’d dump them
    about 3years ago someone posted pic of a set up using thin metal tubes from a diy or hobby shop for the straight runs – sounds horrible but actually looked quite good – was thinking about this at weekend replacing the SRAM gear cable covers on the straight runs as the plastic had died due to UV

hatter

Dura Ace polymers here, super smooth and noticeably more power than the Jagewires they replaced on my BB7 roads.

I’ve heard that Nokon outers are brilliant as well but they rattle against the frame too much for my liking.

Bimbler
    Free Member

jagwire ripcord compression less

+several

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve heard that Nokon outers are brilliant as well but they rattle against the frame too much for my liking

Nokons come with clear soft rubber sections to slide over the outer for sections where they might rub/contact frames so shouldn’t be an issue if fitted properly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what's the best cable outer for bb7 road brakes’ is closed to new replies.