Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • whats the best cable operated dropper post
  • milkyman
    Free Member

Im going to be building a new bike up soon and want to put a dropper post on, I do not want to go down the reverb route, I might be unlucky but had nothing but problems with the so finally given up on them, its just the hassle of stripping it out fitting the normal post waiting weeks to get it back etc., just had enough, I just want something that works day in and day out

if you can get a stealth one even better,
    thanks

Lev if you are prepared to pay for it

scotroutes

Gravity Dropper

milkyman
    Free Member

Is the lev cable??

Tracey

You wont go far wrong with a Specialized Command post. We are running them on all our bikes and have had no problems. I bought a new stealth one a couple of weeks ago from ebay for £120.

milkyman
    Free Member

I’d pay as long as it worked and didn’t keep failing

milkyman
    Free Member

Sounds interesting Tracy

milkyman
    Free Member

Are they like a reverb in so much you have infinite adjustment, I don’t know nothing about these

PJM1974
    Free Member

Having a dropper post where the cable attaches at a fixed point a la Reverb would be very nice, if only for the sake of saving your frame and your cables from excessive wear. I’ve got a Command Post like Tracey’s, the necessary loop of cable annoys me and offends my aesthetic sensibilities, even though I have no complaints about the post’s reliability in the short time I’ve owned it.

Tracey

They are either up down or 25mm down. We find we dont need it setting at anything else. The loop doesn’t bother me. Use the specialized seat clamp that has a guide grove in it. The stealth ones do away with the loop

enfht
    Free Member

Thomson.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Just because it’s cable won’t make it any more (or less) reliable.

They all break. Pick the one you get the best support on. Oh, and like the look of.

milkyman
    Free Member

Unfortunatly that would be the reverb, breaks a lot but gets fixed quite quick

svalgis
    Free Member

What issues did you have with the hydraulics between seatpost and remote, milkyman? AFAIK the complicated internals are far more prone to failure, which could be said about most droppers out there bar Gravity Dropper which is really simple in its design.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got a lev and a doss and both have been faultless for ages .

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’m used to Reverbs & though they’re good i rode a mates new bike with a Fox Doss & was very impressed by it, two levers on it & a short black one that just drops the post by around 2 to 3cm or the bigger lever drops it all the way, felt very smooth with virtually no play in it.
    Pricy but then you get what you pay for.

Cheers
    Mark

Kahurangi

KS Lev. Well over a year old now and still sweet. Cable operated – ODI grip collar integrated lever (or a bling bling upgraded lever if you don’t like it) static cable entry point (so no real need for the stealth/Integra version) and infinite adjustment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Had a play with a Giant Contact the other day. Seemed very good to me, as a Reverb user.

booktownman
    Free Member

MBR mag does a test of budget droppers in the current issue. Giant Contact comes out top. £169.99, 100mm drop with built-in stealth capability. Drop me a line via the address in my profile and I’ll mail you copy of the write up if you want it.

JoeG
    Free Member

KS Lev +1. Stock remote is fine and works well w/front shifters. If you go 1x, get the Southpaw remote.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of KS shocks,

More than happy with their performance despite my total lack of service.

votchy
    Free Member

Gravity Dropper here, 5 years old and only had the plastic guides replaced once, strip down clean and reassembley takes about 20 minutes and do that 2 or 3 times a year, 125 and 25mm drops, slight wobble in saddle if you grab saddle, totally unnoticeable when riding, release mech is fixed point and only the saddle moves so no dangly cable getting in the way, remote drop lever functional and quite tough as its resisted many crashes without issur. Wouldn’t change for anything else and definitely the best upgrade I have made.

jimw
    Free Member

If you do get the Giant post, make sure you tape up the holes under the saddle as thoroughly as possible and even then be prepared to strip it down and clean the mechanism regularly if you want it to survive a British winter. Every one that I have known about has been back to Giant or failed after two years.
    Edit:
    If you can run the newer version in stealth mode, most of the problems should be solved. It is water/crap getting into the upward pointing button that operates the gas strut that causes the issues and in stealth mode it points downward

t-p26
    Free Member

Gravity Dropper +1 for the reasons already stated… And if it does fail out on the trail for some reason, it can be bodged to get you home… No shockpumps,no bleeding fluid 😉

skellnonch
    Free Member

Got a KS & a Gravity dropper both have been very reliable, the KS is smoother, but a little heavier not really had any major issues with either over the past 3 years, just got to give them a bit of love now and again and its all good.

shredder
    Free Member

KS Lev 18mths and faultless.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I’ve got an original Gravity Dropper. Seriously ugly piece of kit and the first one I had snapped off at the seat mount after a couple of years, but I noticed the replacement part had been beefed up and has since lasted 5+ years of hard riding. It’s not pretty or particularly well engineered, BUT it does work well.

I like the sound of the Specialized post with 3 position drop. Makes a lot of sense to have a best pedalling, cruising and full on DH position. I think I’d prefer that to an infinite position dropper. 125 mm drop sounds perfect too.

matther01
    Free Member

LEV +1. Have one on each bike with the southpaw. Both have required a service/repair in the last 18 months…but Jungle are great (really fast turnaround) and it came under the two year warranty too.

Had a reverb originally… but had endless problems bleeding and cable routing issues.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sorata Pro has a very nice feel to it, much better than the original GD copies.
    Also good price too (£80ish)

Having said that, I’ve just taken mine apart to fit a longer cable for a different bike, and the bolts holding the pin cover have stripped the thread in the body, so its next to useless 🙁 Waiting to hear back from the shop…

philwarren11
    Free Member

I love my spesh command post, i timed a service the other day and it took me 8 minutes. And thats including remove it and putting it back in the frame.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hmmm, that MBR test has the RSP Plummet as the worst one. I’ve just bought one for my wife for Christmas off the back of positive comments on here. It is MBR though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘whats the best cable operated dropper post’ is closed to new replies.