Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • What's that you say? Another new tyre standard? Oh, goody, goody, gumdrops!
  • scotroutes

We know that crank size has a very restricted choice. Headtube size sometimes varies with frame size. Fork offset would probably be a function of wheel size? I’m guessing that making frames with specifically drawn tubes for each size might get very expensive, though I guess it has to be done to some extent to get the butting right. Easier to do in Carbon. How much modelling of each goes on and how much is just extrapolated from a “medium” fit, I don’t know but I’m guessing costs would only go one way if all components became more size specific.

I reckon that for 99% of bikes sold it’s all moot anyway. There’s a tiny percentage of riders for whom such specific manufacturing would be noticeable.

kimi
    Free Member

I’d put £5 on it being Brant that invented road +.

aracer
    Free Member

Should we be expecting a new sign up with the username “Roadplus Rider” from the bloke who invented it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

I reckon that for 99% of bikes sold it’s all moot anyway. There’s a tiny percentage of riders for whom such specific manufacturing would be noticeable.

Big tyres on road bikes are the next big thing, whether we like it or not.
    I do, fwiw.
    My new road bike will have 26 inch wheels so I can run bigger tyres without overlap.

There’s a big shift away from ‘racers’ to practical bikes too, which means mudguards, further eating away at clearance.
    That means that pretty much everyone under, say five foot six will be on a frame which is compromised in it’s ability to effectively handle the overall wheel diameter with bigger volume tyres.

But as I’ve said, it won’t happen.
    All the designers I’ve ever heard or read discuss proportional sizing say the core business lies in the middle ground.

As to cost.
    With frames, I know Surly, Thorn and Spa for example practice proportional sizing with respect to tubing and in some cases fork as well as frame geometry.
    Their frames don’t seem to be anymore expensive than less thoughtfully designed competitors.

ampthill

Why are larger diameter wheels sometimes better than smaller? Sorry, but I’m really not prepared to go over ground that has been so comprehensively covered before. If you’ve go to 2016 and not accepted this, nothing I can write is going to make any difference

Your right I hear Isla bikes have decided that they will only make bikes with 700c rims for kids of all ages. Who cares about fit when you can have better rolling

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘What's that you say? Another new tyre standard? Oh, goody, goody, gumdrops!’ is closed to new replies.