Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Whats that you say? A NEW BIKE?
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Yes – it happened. I even had permission from SWMBO. I've got as close to a dream build for me and it is geet lush. I now have the monster truck behemoth bike and it is more capable than me!

Fresh

First outing together

Shy for the camera

W I D E B A R S

With the older child

It is so capable on everything I've ridden so far. Feels great with the wider bars now and just fits so well. Well worth the couple of years wait. Yes – that is a 203mm rotor on the front.

bigsi
    Free Member

I want one 😈

slowrider
    Free Member

i like that, especially the colour. that massive stack of headtube spacers only makes the gangly headtube look longer though but as long as it rides good then im sure you can put up with it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    backhander
    Free Member

Nice emersons green garage!
    I'll keep an eye out for you!

singlespeedstu

I had A Sultan out on test for a while.

They do ride rather well.

I still keep thinking about getting one.

yetiguy
    Free Member

coo,bike dude !

TooTall
    Free Member

that massive stack of headtube spacers only makes the gangly headtube look longer

If 29ers didn't have such stupid short headtubes, I'd not need spacers! They don't make a bigger frame.

backhander – we could always meet up for a ride – outrageous idea!

scaredypants

😯

(if that's a 29er, I estimate your inside leg to be 4ft6)

MrTall
    Free Member

I'd be interested to see how it stacks up against my Salsa Big Mama. My build is similar to yours and i've got the same bars as you – great aren't they – although they can be a tad too wide on tight singletrack. I'd have gone for bolt thru forks though.

Nice bike though – long live the 29er revolution (well for us tall fellas anyway…). 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks ace! I have it's little brother, the DW Spot. Was that direct from the States?

TooTall
    Free Member

Mr Tall – thats the 15mm bolt thru QR thingy that Fox do and the DT Swiss bolt rear. Its as bolty as you can get!

chunky – not really, sort of, ish.

soobalias
    Free Member

see now the frame fits them stoopid wheels look tiny!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Super very bling brill nice!

Agree with the short HT's on 29er's

Tell us about the efficient pedaling

will
    Free Member

Thats a 29er?

MrTall
    Free Member

I stand corrected, i forgot Fox do a 29er fork with the 15mm bolt thru – i run the Reba teams with 20mm maxle.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Is that what Turner say is the sasquatch size?

handyman
    Free Member

I have a flux with the burgtec bars, excellent bars also have on my hardtail, it does make a difference on handling leverage etc would love to try out a sultan i can get one cheap over here just got to find a dealer with one to test

TooTall
    Free Member

It is indeedy. Thats 23 inches of big-wheeled loveliness – which is why it looks in proportion.

SWMBO – for the singles – she who must be obeyed.

handyman
    Free Member

swmbo:- she who must be obeyed

BillyBull
    Free Member

Turnertastic

TooTall
    Free Member

scaredypants – 40" standover so fairly long legs. Almost forgot – 180mm crank on there too – and it is noticeable when pedaling – feels so smooth with the slightly bigger circles.

MrTall
    Free Member

I also tried a 180mm crank on my Big Mama but can't say i noticed any difference to my normal 175's?

My Salsa is 'only' a 22" but my Rockhopper is 23". Makes a big difference to chaps our size and they do look in proportion with the 29er wheels.

nickc

Tall people shouldn't be allowed to ride bikes 🙂 Makes the rest of us look like midgets

You must be 7' tall or something…

tinsy
    Free Member

Does anyone make 32" wheels?

Looks really nice but I wouldnt have guessed it as a 29'r from the pictures..

backhander
    Free Member

drop me a mail tootall ndobbsieATmsnDOTcom.
    There's a few of us (of mixed ability) normally venture to afan or cwmcarn quite a bit (leave from mangotsfield).

jimthesaint

TooTall – Ditch the Thomson stem and get one with more rise instead. Bonty do their range with a 17degree rise option.

A higher rise stem will be lighter than a Thomson with a load of fork steerer and headset spacers, it will also be stiffer and therefore sharpen the handling.

That has got to be a good idea for £25.

Bloody nice bike though.

nickc

I love this forum sometimes

A higher rise stem will be lighter than a Thomson

Really? by how much? How much do each of these stems weigh then? Even with all that extra steerer and all those nasty spacers that must weight, ohhh grammes….it'll make such a difference…

it will also be stiffer

Based on the empirical tests you done on them?

So, Tootall you've done it all wrong, chap, what you need is some gash £25 shopping bike stem to round off your mega bucks bike, not that nasty 'ole Thomson What were you thinking, eh?

😉

slimtubing
    Free Member

I read SWMBO as single white mountainbiking other.

Andy

Wow TooTall that looks fantastic!

hillsplease

Is it wrong to have bike envy?

ton

i could take the pis5 and slag it and you off, like you do when i post a new bike……………
    but i am not like you………
    so, it is a very nice bike….i like it. 8)

jimthesaint

A higher rise stem will be lighter than a Thomson

Really? by how much? How much do each of these stems weigh then? Even with all that extra steerer and all those nasty spacers that must weight, ohhh grammes….it'll make such a difference…

Yeah, you're right. It is only a difference of grammes, over 100g mind you. That's based on the lump of steerer you'd chop off weighing as much as the headset spacers.

I've not done any empirical tests. I have done some real world riding on them though (just like every stem tested in magazines), and a more direct route from the headset to the bars makes for a more accurate front end.

So I'm correct about it being lighter, and unless you can prove me wrong with your empirical tests I'm also correct about it being stiffer.

I love this forum sometimes.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

get some carbon spacers.. job done.. nice build btw

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Champion is that Turner buddy :love:

TooTall
    Free Member

I'm baffled by the whole stem bit – for the following:

This is a 23" framed, FS, 29er bike – thats a lot of bike.
    I built for a reasonable level of strength without going all DH on parts,
    so weight was not an issue at all on the bike.
    I weigh 250lbs so, as a percentage of my weight, it weighs f***-all – somewhere close to 31lbs I'd guess.
    There are just over 3cm of spacers under the stem. I am not going to notice a difference in stiffness – I've never flexed a steerer tube, won't start now.

I will promise to always have a pre-ride poo just to shed those grammes I've squandered on the build.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ignore the tards, super high rise stems look guff and work no better than something that looks nice, like wot yours does. If its going to cost a bomb, it may as well look pretty eh?

TooTall
    Free Member

If its going to cost a bomb, it may as well look pretty eh?

Are we talking bikes or hookers?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice bike. I like the fact it looks in proportion – much like a 26 wheel bike for a normal size person. Normaly bikes for lanky gets look daft and out of proportion with bars that are too low.

So on the grounds that good engineering looks elegant I would say thats good.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Are we talking bikes or hookers?

Does no harm either way eh?

bonesetter
    Free Member

I always thought wide riser bars and riser stem was a nono

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Whats that you say? A NEW BIKE?’ is closed to new replies.