Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whats that smell?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Many of you will know that sometimes you can smell someone on the trail ahead before you can hear them or even see them.

Several times this year I have caught a whiff of someone and I have to admit they actually smell quite good. Not the usual white grease/Adidas Eau d’ Changing Room or some bodge body spray that Lynx have invented but a sporty, warm, expensive, light aroma that is doesn’t smell like air freshener or fabric conditioner. It could be some kind of embrocation it smells purposeful but not medicinal

Any ideas what it could be?

Scapegoat

Is this a stealth approach to another bromance thread?

thepurist

‘KOM’ by Hugo Boss.

You’ll love the smell but never see the rider 😉

shifter
    Free Member

Are you a stoker?

ekul
    Free Member

Not sure but you definately aren’t following my brother. If 650b wheels bring the trail alive, his stench whilst riding makes short work of killing it again. 100yr old oaks have been known to uproot and run away. Much like Lord of the Rings.

johnners
    Free Member

GT85

verses

Many of you will know that sometimes you can smell someone on the trail ahead before you can hear them or even see them.

We will??!

jekkyl

Several times this year I have caught a whiff of someone and I have to admit they actually smell quite good.

yup sorry that was me. *wafts hand near arse*
    saturday night’s Jalfrezi, smells good mmmm yeah!

globalti
    Free Member

The human (and animal) nose is at its most sensitive outdoors in cool conditions especially when it’s damp and of course in clean air unpolluted by other molecules. As a motorcyclist I could often smell the perfume of the driver in the car in front coming out of the vents or when they were smoking. I have even wondered if in the future gas chromatography equipment mounted in Police cars could sample the air and detect ethanol fumes; it’s certainly sensitive enough right now but I reckon it would cost too much and get too many false readings from things like screenwash.

Quite a few fabric conditioner and detergent powder fragrances, especially the ones manufactured by the big players like Unilever, P&G etc, have raw materials that are also found in fine fragrances such as synthetic musks and amber to give substantivity on textiles so it’s just possible you are picking up some molecules that are familiar from personal care products. Synthetic musk (Galaxolide) is best described as “bright” and is most of the smell of Body Shop’s White Musk, Amber is a gorgeous tangy warm smell, it’s what you’ll smell on your clothes the day after using CK1 by Calvin Clien, a superb perfume. I know that sometimes people wearing polyester clothing that’s been washed can stink of fabric conditioner perfume, which is designed to be very substantive. Micro-encapsulated fragrances (similar to scratch ‘n sniff technology) are now making this even more likely.

It’s equally possible however that you are picking up a soap or shower gel or aftershave that has been used that morning. All you’ve got to do is identify it! Fancy a job in the fragrance industry?

rocketman
    Free Member

Thanks folks 🙂

fasthaggis

Could it have been someone famous ?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s probably Gee Atherton’s new signature fragrance, “Stoke by Yardley”.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whats that smell?’ is closed to new replies.