Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What's that site with the camper van locations?
  • scotroutes

Something penguin / elephant/ giraffe? Based on Google maps IIRC.

Davesport

Colin, are you talking about wild camping locations on a Google maps format?

piemonster

There’s a points of interest Map here https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/forum.php

Not sure if it helps as I’ve not registered to access it

scotroutes

Thanks folks. Milleboy has it. I knew there was an animal involved somewhere 🙂

I also found one at nomadgb.co.uk.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That looks more like a map of dogging spots than places I’d want to park up for the night.

Based on the ones nearest the 6-7 places I’ve lived being notorious dogging spots….

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

^^^ Is that what “wild camping” is in a camper van?

maccruiskeen

Some vans are camp, some are camper. Buts who’s van is the campest?

Perhaps the site you need is Grindr.

spooky_b329

I’m quickly going off those wild camping lists.

Anything mildly desirable will have quickly attracted remedial measures such as height barriers or no overnight parking signs.

We tried to stop on our way to Scotland, was pretty confident as there were three marked spots for wildcamping at Morecombe Bay, right on the coast. The first one, a local helpfully pointed out the no overnight parking sign, a more thorough streetview search revealed similar signs at both the alternates.

To be honest, if we’d been a bit more savvy and turned up after dark we could have got away with it, but at midsummer who wants to be mucking about and having to wait until after 11:30pm to park up in darkness.

We ended up just driving randomly north for 45 minutes, and just as we were giving up and heading back to the M6 to pay for overnight parking at a motorway services, we found a nice nature reserve car park for the night. (I just checked and it is actually on that link above so doubt it will remain ‘legal’ for long)

This country is just too crowded to be able to openly wild camp without attracting the wrong attention. Stealth is all well and good late at night, but its a bit shit if you want to park up mid-evening for some dinner.

maccruiskeen

Anything mildly desirable will have quickly attracted remedial measures such as height barriers or no overnight parking signs.

Perhaps this map will be more useful then. 🙂

cbike
    Free Member

A big list of places ruined by **** with campers, abandoned tents full of bin bags, human waste, damaged trees and pissed off locals having to live with it.

A most excellent resource.

alpin
    Free Member

i think it is a great resource.

have used this each time i’ve been to the UK. most recently 10 days in Wales. yes, some spots are not ideal, but with the use of google streetview (where available) or google earth it is quite easy to discount most spots.

with streetview you can even read the number on the height restrictions!

some spots are a bit crowded, like Freshwater Bay the other month, but then some spots are deserted.

worst experience was coming off the M1 to park up somewhere near Dunstable. the carpark was a lookout spot and was full of people sitting in their cars. was like something out of the movies. way too busy and the carpark was pissed. ended up on some service road beside the M1… 😀

have oinly ever had to pay once for a night; somewhere near Bambrugh Castle.

spooky_b329 – Member

I’m quickly going off those wild camping lists.

this is one of the advantages of a Transpoter…. you can get in just about anywhere.

shame the UK doesn’t have something similar to Aires or Stellplatz like in France and Germany.

trail_rat
    Free Member

this is one of the advantages of a Transpoter…. you can get in just about anywhere

Does that make the transporter the doggers car of choice. 😉

scotroutes

All the ones I already know of are pretty good/clean/not over-used.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What's that site with the camper van locations?’ is closed to new replies.