Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • whats that high intensity short burst fat burning theory.. tell me about it?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i seem to recall some discussion about high intensity interval and a name for it, but can’t recall so struggling to search.

anyone remind me and have any views as a short term kickstart to drop a few pounds?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Isn’t ‘fat burning’ an urban myth? You have to burn of all the carbs before you get to the fat……?

piemonster

anyone remind me and have any views as a short term kickstart to drop a few pounds?

Eat less

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martymac

there was a tv program about it a couple of months ago iirc.
    shiit.
    short high intensity interval training rings a bell.

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t ‘fat burning’ an urban myth? You have to burn of all the carbs before you get to the fat……?

No, that’s dead wrong.

The term you are looking for is HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training. And yes it works.

Sure, you can eat less move more etc but your training will be more effective if you eat the right things and move the right way.

elliptic
    Free Member

i seem to recall some discussion about high intensity interval and a name for it

The Tabata protocol?

Isn’t ‘fat burning’ an urban myth?

The fat burning *zone* is an urban myth, unless you’re going out for a 6-hour road ride.

If you have a limited amount of time you want to exercise hard to burn as much as you can and lift your metabolism for a few hours afterwards.

Best of all is a short burst of *very* hard (to mobilise reserves into your bloodstream) then hard-but-sustainable for 30-40 mins (to burn what you’ve released).

piemonster

Sure, you can eat less move more etc but your training will be more effective if you eat the right things and move the right way.

Absolutely, but of those two things. It’s the diet I’d want to get right first. I know many people that train well, but eat badly and have the bellies to show for it.

Put the cake away first, then get out on the bike.

elliptic
    Free Member

Before this discussion disintegrates as usual…can we all just agree it helps to eat properly *and* train properly?

Ta 🙂

piemonster

Sod off with your common sense

IanMunro
    Free Member

Before this discussion disintegrates as usual…can we all just agree it helps to eat properly *and* train properly?

Damn straight.
    Only eat animals that you’ve run to death.
    Get’s you slim and fit.

DaveRambo

As others have said ‘fat burning’ is a bit of a myth.
    You lose fat when you take in less calories than you use.

You can take in less calories by eating less/lower calorific food.
    You can use more calories by increasing exercise or increasing your base metabolic rate (the amount of energy you need to just exist) You can do this by increasing muscle as it’s a live tissue (unlike fat) that needs energy to exist.

My understanding is that…

Very high intensity exercise causes the body to release hormones to decrease insulin and increase glycogen breakdown from the muscles – to provide glucose – this then triggers the replacement of the glycogen which is quite slow. The high intensity exercise also causes muscle damage which takes energy to repair, and increases muscle strength.

You have to deplete all your glycogen stores before you burn fat – and you’ll bonk/hit the wall first.

molgrips
    Free Member

As others have said ‘fat burning’ is a bit of a myth.
    You lose fat when you take in less calories than you use

Not a myth at all. You’re ignoring a lot of factors.

Want to be an F1 driver? It’s easy, just drive really fast!

Want to be rich? Piece of cake, just spend less than you earn!

Energy comes from several different sources, one of which is lipolysis – the metabolism of fat. Your body prefers getting its energy from fat in fact, but it’ll get it from different sources in different circumstances.

You have to deplete all your glycogen stores before you burn fat

That is dead wrong.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone

http://scienceblogs.com/obesitypanacea/2010/06/30/the-myth-of-the-fat-burning-zo/

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2009/03/03/the-fat-burning-zone-a-fitness-myth-debunked

They all say the same thing. More fat is burned at higher intensity exercise, but it’s less of a percentage of total energy used than at low intensity.

Exercising harder burns more fuel. Fact.
    Which, I guess, is what the OP was on about. So you can all crack on now we’ve cleared that up. 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

DaveRambo – Member
    ….. it’s a live tissue (unlike fat) that needs energy to exist.

so you think your “fat” is just inert lipid globules floating around inside you 😆

My understanding is that…

…you really don’t know very much about human biochemistry or endocrinology

molgrips
    Free Member

Slightly more to it than that PP. To be simplistic, you may burn more fat per hour exercising intensely but obviously you can’t exercise for as long, so your total workout may end up burning less fat.

But that is an oversimplification and it’s a lot more complex than that.

AFAIK HIIT raises your metabolic rate for a few days after exercise which is very effective at burning up fat, and it causes changes in hormones and enzymes (I think.. not sure) which make it easier to burn more fat later.

It also makes you fitter pretty damn quickly, which means you will be able to ride harder and then burn more fat and get fitter which makes you faster still etc.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Fact.

is that a cake-eating hobbit :fact: or an internet academic cut’n’paste :fact: 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

so you think your “fat” is just inert lipid globules floating around inside you

In fairness many fatties do look quite inert and globular.

Solo
    Free Member

I do like these comedy threads, but didn’t really expect any to emerge before Xmas.

We use both fats and carbohydrates to provide energy for movement. How much of each varies in relation to intensity of that movement / the activity being undertaken. And a whole bunch of other stuff…. Its as complicated as you want to make.
    🙂

So, get your diet right and get your fun / sport right. Then you’re made.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘whats that high intensity short burst fat burning theory.. tell me about it?’ is closed to new replies.