Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • whats that childs bike seat on the salsa fargo?
  • paulos
    Free Member

Anyone know what that bike seat on the salsa fargo in the latest issue of singletrack?

druidh
    Free Member

It’s a Co-Pilot Limo

iainc

It’s Sanny’s one so he may be along shortly..

paulos
    Free Member

do you both think it will fit an orange R8? thanks for the info

druidh
    Free Member

The Co-Pilot seats fit onto a Blackburn EX-1 rack (supplied) so if it’ll fit that you are OK. The one issue you might have is getting that rack onto the disk-side mounting as sometimes the caliper will get in the way.

Maybe start a thread asking what racks folk are fitting to an R8? I’d avoid any solution using spacers and/or P-Clips.

paulos
    Free Member

ok i will have to research it fitting, thanks for the help

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got something similar sittng in the garage and they work great – cost about £38. You can also get a very basic saddle that clamps to the toptube and has some footpegs and a backrest with strap that I found superb for when they are old enough to hang on.
    amazon child seat

TiRed

If you are anywhere near Windsor, you are welcome to try my Co-pilot Taxi. Since the 11yo it was bought for has just left for school, it has remained redundant for a number of years 😉 . Great design. Son2 was fine when I dropped the tandem whilst he was sat on it.

I cant see why spacers and longer bolts won’t work. In fact Blackburn make an EX-1 disk compatible rack that just looks like a spread version.

rudedog
    Free Member

You can also get a very basic saddle that clamps to the toptube and has some footpegs and a backrest with strap that I found superb for when they are old enough to hang on.
    amazon child seat

Be careful if you get one of these as clamp is pretty crude and can easily mark/dent the top tube.

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve got one I’ll be selling, seat and rack, used it with my two boys, a bit battered but still in good working order. Can send pics, email me if you’re interested.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got one fo those Leco top tube seats. It has dented an ally top tube (but not too badly), but its been ok on the Ti and Steel frames.

I love using it, managed a 10 mile ride with my 3-year old on it. He”s just outgrown it and progressed to a tagalong for commuting now.

Never bothered with the footrest bar, just used the fork-crown.

mrdestructo

Those top tube mounting seats are a pain. They damage your paint job, need you to pedal with your knees wide to get round your kid and are a pain to fit securely, slipping frequently.

Additionally, if you are out riding on your own and get in a traffic accident the footrests you attach to the downtube have some nasty bolts sticking out. I had one stick in my leg once and leave a nasty wound after a pedestrian walked out on me (I shouted and he spun round going even further into the road staring stupidly at me, sigh.) Tried to stand up and fell because my leg didn’t work after hitting the footfest. Ended up screaming at the ambulance staff that I was going to cycle to the bloody hospital as soon as my leg started working again as they refused to take my bike with them (leave it unlocked at the scene of the accident? They’re ‘avin a larf!)

So, that’s a downvote from me for those seats 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Yup it’s a Co-Pilot Limo.

No idea if it would fit an Orange R8. I ended up buying the Fargo as it was perfect for carrying round or towing the little un.

If you have full rack mounts on the frame which I believe the R8 does looking at a pic on t’interweb, you may have a little faff with your disc brake mounting but it may well fit. Try a Blackburn rack in your LBS. If it fits, you’re laughing!

Oh and never use P clips for a kiddy seat. I just don’t trust such thing bits of metal to hold on securely enough to a taper tube on a seatstay.

Hope this helps?

Sanny

ads678

Yeah my leco has damaged my top tube a bit (nothing to worry about though) but padding it out with rubber shims sorted that. never bothered with the foot rest’s either fork crown is much better.

Had my first ride with a trail-gator a couple of weeks ago up at dalby and my lad loves it. gives him a chance to ride like the big boys for a bit as well. Bit fiddly at first but got the leaning issues sussed in the end.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘whats that childs bike seat on the salsa fargo?’ is closed to new replies.