Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What's that bit to the East of Farnborough?
  • BlobOnAStick

I’m heading to Woking on boxing day to visit the in-laws, and I thought I’d have a look at Strava global heatmap to see what was about…..

First revelation is how close they live to Swinley – I’ve been visiting for the past 20 years without realising it. 😳

I know about Peaslake and around there, although I’m hardly familiar with it, but there’s an area to the east of Farnborough (Mychett / Deepcut area) which is similarly ‘glowing’ on the heatmap. What’s this? Is it worth a visit bearing in mind I could probably cycle there directly from in-laws place?

Can’t believe I haven’t explored around there before!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Tunnel hill, porridge pots and frith hill. Good area but mod land, can sometimes be a bit tetchy as the army are clamping down on bike riding!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Tunnel Hill, PorridgePot Hill, Ash Ranges, Frith Hill.

All got plenty of singletrack. All are on MOD land, so try and avoid riding through exercises. Ash Ranges is a live-firing area, so if the red flags are up around the perimeter then don’t go in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What they said, and if you’re not local then they’re a maze, strava maps won’t help you navigate them!

dovebiker

Apart from the Ash Ranges live firing area there’s a huge amount of area to explore. You should have little worries about encountering Army exercises over the holidays. The local byelaws do state that you’re not really allowed to ride on the ranges (I’ve lived here for 25 years) but as long as you don’t ride where there’s red flags or start digging you should have little problems.

edhornby

If you see exercises going on just turn around, there’s always other tracks

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I lived in Guildford for years and never rode their either. It’s not as good as Surrey Hills proper so I never bothered.

BlobOnAStick

Thanks guys.

Might just give Swinley a go since I’ve never been there. Trouble is, Boxing Day will mean it’s packed out!

Boas

theotherjonv

OP I lived in Guildford for years and never rode their either. It’s not as good as Surrey Hills proper so I never bothered.

If you never rode there, how do you know?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What's that bit to the East of Farnborough?’ is closed to new replies.