Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What's rubbish/limiting about Chromebooks?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

apart from accepting that google has it’s nose completely in your business.
    i like to use mail clients. not possible?
    outside apps liek firefox possible/exist?

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds like they’re not for you.

spooky_b329

If you want to install any software, not for you. If you want a web browser and are happy with Google Docs and Sheets, they are fantastic.

*I keep my old windows laptop tucked away, it comes out for rare occasions when I want to crop some photos, play on Sketchup etc.

edit: If you use Google services and Chrome on a PC, I suspect they already know everything they’d find out with a Chromebook.

nickc

google has it’s nose completely in your business.

Are you new to this world?

Drac

Are you new to this world?

Not according to my records.

xora

i like to use mail clients. not possible?
    outside apps liek firefox possible/exist?

Both possible but the Android app versions (as long as its a new Chromebook that supports play store).

spooky_b329

New Chromebooks support the play store?!

That was my only disappointment when I fired up my Chromebook nearly three years ago… It’s about ready for retirement!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

certain models do or will soon, yes.

Sandwich

If you fancy a technical challenge you can probably get some form of Linux installed and take it from there. There are better ways of spending time though.

Cougar

Hmm… if some do and some don’t, what’s the restriction here? If Chromium itself supports the store, then what’s to stop you installing the store app on the ones that don’t come with it?

molgrips
    Free Member

You can’t technically install software, but you can install browser based software, which in most cases is pretty similar excpet for the fact that it takes seconds and is always up to date.

Pixlr is a good photo editor for basic stuff, and even have a few more advanced features. You’d never know it wasn’t installed on your hard drive.

Pixlr also works in regular chrome so you can try it out.

Stoner
    Free Member

cougar – latest version of Chromium in the dev channel supports the Play Store runtime.

It is due to come across to the stable channel this year.

Ideally you want to be running it on HW with a touch screen but it will run with tackpad/mouse.

I have it running on my Asus Flip and it will also run on a recent HP. It’s been v stable despite running on dev channel.

It obviously allows Play apps to install, but also means you can use Play iPlayer with the program download capabilities.

spooky_b329

I did a little reading up, there are two Chromebooks that already support it at around the £250 mark (both flip touchscreen ones) plus the horrendously expensive pixel.

There is also a whole raft of Chromebook models listed from the last year or more that are expected to support the Play store in varying degrees.

Mine is finally starting to fall over so might treat myself…although I suppose I should try a Powerwash first…

jamiesilo
    Free Member

sandwich, nicely put: if you fancy a technical challenge
    i’ve tried a bit of linux mint. seemed great, certainly sped things up on an old pc. mail, browsing etc fine ( i use firefox and thunderbird already)
    but yeh, i’m just a notch not geeky enough to be really up for it.
    i do have better ways to spend my time, being self employed, riding my bike etc.

and yeh 3 years is not great lifespan, going by what spooky says

jamiesilo
    Free Member

should i just bite the bullet and get some sort of mac?
    i;m on my first one ever (an old macbook) and have to admit i’m impressed.
    just that i’m now have a business to run in france, with (almost compulsory) software to run, and things like sketchup very hab=ndy to get into

spooky_b329

Three years is pretty good for a £200 machine I thought? It’s had absolutely no maintenance unlike my previous Windows machines… I’m sure if I did a powerwash it would be fine.

It’s also been dropped several times, drink spilled on it, and it’s the first laptop ever where the trackpad has not gone shiny and subsequently worn through the finish.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Why dont they just make a laptop with Android on it?

trailwagger
    Free Member

CHeck out the video at the top of this page, looks awesome!

molgrips
    Free Member

Why would they when you can have a tablet with a keyboard?

Android is a lot more limiting than a laptop, and most of the apps are designed for touch.

wicki
    Free Member

Buy an old Dell and wack linux on it.

chvck
    Free Member

GalliumOS is built for chromebooks – it’s what I have on mine. Everything works just fine so no tinker from that POV. To get gallium onto it requires a bit more effort though, including possibly taking your chromebook apart to remove a screw depending on model.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

off to look up Gallium.

Cougar

They do (did) – I’ve got a Notebook here which came with Windows and a dual-boot option to Android.

There’s also Remix of course.

jimwah
    Free Member

Thought I would get away with just a Chromebook, so researched & bought a half-decent HP model, returned it the next day. It felt like a toy & performance wasn’t great, screen was poor & controls fiddly. Not quite as convenient as a tablet, not quite as practical as a laptop.

Older gen Core i5 HP Elitebook or Dell Latitude off eBay would be money better spent imo. Stick an SSD in it & you’re set for a few years.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What's rubbish/limiting about Chromebooks?’ is closed to new replies.