Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What's quickest.
  • zippykona

My parents live 200 miles away. On my drive down there (Epsom to Croyde) I’ve often thought that when I’m in charge I shall close the roads and see how quick I can do it. The bulk of the journey is on 70 mph roads.

On a clear run I can do it in 3 hrs 30 without speeding. Sooooo. With closed roads what vehicle will do it quickest and how long would it take?
    I know the obvious answer is get a Veyron and floor it, but at full whack I can’t imagine it doing more than 5mpg meaning loads of fuel stops. Answers please.
    Ps TT motorbikes included ,but then again fuel stops will be an issue.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Sod the roads, get a helicopter. Westland Lynx would do it in an hour.

Junkyard
    Free Member

SBZ on a kids tricycle?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member

The red one.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Id say summert like a gttdi golf 170,like yah say wi fuel stops etc,& theyre plenty quick enuff,my R1 would only do about 100 miles on the rd on a full tank,or about .7 ltr per lap,when on track @ Donnington,Cadwell etc,a superbike can just do two laps at the TT on a full tank,22ltr, & 38 miles a lap,& run out !!,so id say a Golf,or similar !…

Houns

Caterham R500 or supercharged ariel atom

slackalice
    Free Member

Clearly…. a 29er.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The Veyron top speed fuel economy is claimed to be 3.6mpg and the tank holds 26.4 gallons not that you’d be able to spend a great deal of time at top speed on UK motorways even if there was no traffic or speed limit 😯

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Not sure what would be fastest but I’d love to have a go on your closed road doing it in this!

martymac

it would have to be a vehicle that could manage the distance without stopping for fuel, and it would need some downforce too, motorways arent completely straight.
    audi r15 tdi?
    or another LMP type vehicle?

molgrips
    Free Member

I knew a bloke who was sponsored by Honda – he apparently rode from Church Stretton to Craven Arms (Shropshire), a distance of some 7 miles on a roads, in 3 minutes.

On A roads I’d guess a motorbike might be quicker, but dunno about the fuel stops there either.

You’d want a really fast handling car if it’s A roads too – many supercars would be so big you’d struggle to handle them.

zippykona

Back when I was a motorbikist I’m sure there was a bloke in Superbike mag who did end to end in 11 hours. Think he was riding a gpz750 turbo, so we are talking 1984ish.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There was a piece in Alan Clark’s Back Fire where he travelled from Saltwood Castle in Kent to his cottage on the shore of Loch Eriboll near Tougue. Its about the furthest you can drive in a straight line end to end.

He blew his advance on his diaries on a stonking Bentley. He contested his tdi Discovery was quicker from Saltwood to Tongue as he had to stop so often to refuel the Bentley.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What's quickest.’ is closed to new replies.