Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What's our current go to Android phone?
  • nickjb
    Free Member

Time for a new phone. Must have decent memory or SD card but other than that just the usual good screen, ok camera and work as a phone. Obviously cheaper is better (maybe around £200) and I prefer plain android. What’s good at the moment?

isto
    Free Member

Just did a bit of research on this as my wife needed a new phone and the new Moto G (3rd Gen) seems to get really good reviews and is around that price.

peterfile
    Free Member

You can get a used Nexus 5 for £200. I like mine.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Galaxy Note 4. Computer in your pocket.

eckinspain
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I have a Moto G 2nd gen and it’s not good. I’ve already had to send it off to be repaired once as the earpiece stopped working. (and I have a feeling it’s going again). It often goes really slowly and will occasionally just turn it self off. It’s not got too many apps on it and I haven’t done anything dodgy to it.
    Maybe 3rd gen is better.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I have a Moto G (2nd gen 4G flavour) and don’t like it. Get something with more internal memory.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Sony Xperia Z3 or Z3 compact might just be within your budget. I have the Z2 and am happy with it. Sony hasn’t frigged too much with Android and it takes SD cards so storage is no problem. Works well as a phone- it can find signal when the Samsungs the rest of the family use are struggling.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

nexus 5, if you can find one. or the rumoured 2015 nexus 5 might be available in a month or two. i’ll be upgrading my nexus 5 to one of those…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

ive been happy with my m8. pretty good sound on them. not seen much worth upgrading to yet and decent price at the mo. not the greatest camera but perfectly adequate. expandable memory, get a couple of days from the battery with reasonable use too. oh. did i mention they sound good?

nemesis
    Free Member

I have recently got a Z3 compact and it’s brilliant – fast, waterproof(!), decent camera and great battery life – easily lasts a day (actually about 1.5 days but I charge it overnight anyway) which is somewhat of a treat for me as my last couple of phones haven’t lasted a day.

It’s not stock android but the Sony version seems largely unobtrusive so that’s not an issue.

Oh and being the ‘compact’ it’s not overly big either so sits comfortably in my pockets.

theotherjonv

I was going to respond but it’s easier to just cut and paste nemesis’ comments

I have recently got a Z3 compact and it’s brilliant – fast, waterproof(!), decent camera and great battery life – easily lasts a day (actually about 1.5 days but I charge it overnight anyway) which is somewhat of a treat for me as my last couple of phones haven’t lasted a day.

It’s not stock android but the Sony version seems largely unobtrusive so that’s not an issue.

Oh and being the ‘compact’ it’s not overly big either so sits comfortably in my pockets.

johnnystorm

I’ve just moved to an Xperia Z2 from a OnePlus One as I missed the waterproofness and camera speed of my S4 active. Really pleased with it for all the reasons stated above. I’ve fitted tempered glass protectors front and rear (£3) and got a very thin case for 99p from eBay. The magnetic charging connector is a great way to charge it on my hub dynamo as you can leave the USB under its waterproof port. A number of power saving modes makes the battery life decent even by dumb phone standards.

Oh, and separate camera button allows you to take pics without unlocking the phone or taking your gloves off. Perfect for riding.

Bregante

I was going to respond too but it’s easier just to cut and paste theotherjonv’s comment.

theotherjonv – Member
    I was going to respond but it’s easier to just cut and paste nemesis’ comments

stewartc
    Free Member

Been using an ASUS Zenphone 2 for the last 3 months, 4GB Ram, 32GB of memory, SD and 2 x SIM slots and pretty quick Intel processor, screen is not a bad size either.
    Picked mine up for 2100HKD, which is around 175GBP.

dookey

Spot on, another recommendation for the Z3 compact, won’t ever go back to a “big” phone again

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No idea how that happened.

nemesis
    Free Member

Belt bag.

LOL

Woppit thinks he’s Batman 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m still here so you don’t have to talk about me as if I’m not.

“Woppit, do you think you’re Batman?”

“No.”

Do you carry everything around in your pockets? Why? (Notice I’m asking you, not the rest of the forum).

nemesis
    Free Member

Between you and TJ, you’ve got it covered

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, do you carry everything around in your pockets? Why?

Although I’m sure your amusing digression is most helpful to the OP and his query. Well done.

nemesis
    Free Member

A fair point. Would you like to start a thread to discuss it and your extreme sensitivity to your utility belt? 😉

In my defence of course, I did answer the question the OP posed fairly well I thought.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No. Go away.

andykirk
    Free Member

Apple iPhone

If not get a Motorola RAZR i for about £80 on Ebay. I have had two. Brilliant smallish phones with long battery life and tough as, proper steel case. No point in paying any more. The new ones are nowhere near as good.

VanHalen

i used to have a z2? compact thing that was great but definately not waterproof (it died).

If the z3 is half as good but more waterproof i`ll be getting on of those

hip holster.. tee hee..

gordimhor

I was going to cut and paste other people’s comments but decided just to say Z3 Compact

thegreatape
    Free Member

Holy Sensitivity. Someone’s a bat bit touchy today.

lovewookie

If you don’t mind what sim, Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 is possibly the best one I’ve seen so far, though I’ve not fiddled with a 3rd Gen Moto G yet..

Spec is good, 5.5″ screen, 4G, octo core porcessor, 16Gb internal memory, 2Gb RAM, SD card slot up to 64Gb, android 5.1, 13Mp main camera and 5Mp front and NFC.

£125 too.

you can get them unlocked as far as I know too.

jimmy

Well I still like my Z1 compact and don’t know how different it can be from the z3 with the latest rorripop installed. So if you can find one cheap gets my vote.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

johnnystorm
    I’ve just moved to an Xperia Z2 from a OnePlus One

Cheeky question, but do you fancy selling me your old Oneplus One?

julians
    Free Member

Just bought a sony xperia z3 (not the compact version), seems really good so far, battery life is amazing.

Bit out of the original stated budget though at £300 sim free.

alexpalacefan

Another vote for Z3 Compact.

APF

windyg
    Free Member

Another vote for Z3 Compact

steveoath
    Free Member

+1 for the sony xperias in compact. Can take a 128gb sd card too!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Any deals about on the Z3?? Have an ageing htc that could do with getting rid of

mogrim

A couple of weeks ago I wouldn’t have hesitated to recommend an Xperia Z3, but mine died recently (a couple of days after updating to Android 5.1) which means fighting with (Spanish) Orange for a replacement. No idea if the problem was a one-off limited to my particular phone or something more common, though.

konabunny
    Free Member

is a samsung s4 too old? bear in mind I’m using an iPhone 4 so anything is a step up…

if it is, what’s the oldest Samsung I can look at? how about HTC Ones? I’d like to spend about £150 at CEX ideally

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

S4 still available and is now around £200. S5 is a bit more like £250 IIRC.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Anyone seen any better deal than £170 for a Z1 Compact – may get one for the missus as her Moto E has been a massive letdown…

tinribz
    Free Member

Moto x play is top of my list at the mo, available to order from yesterday: 21 MP camera and 5.5” 1080p HD screen & whopping 3630 mAh battery. New Moto G doesnt seem like an upgrade on the old, would have considered if it had a HD screen as it’s waterproof.

Have also been considering last year’s flagship models at knock down prices like the moto x 2nd gen, better spec but not the big battery. Or LG G2 but they are hard to find new. LG4c is similar spec to the new moto g same screen size but but more compact.

Recon battery life is gonna be the deal breaker. Oneplus two is out and must be best spec for price?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What's our current go to Android phone?’ is closed to new replies.