Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What's one of these called? (or small piece machining help)
  • nedrapier

I’m guessing it might not be called a thing I can buy, but if anyone’s got any ideas of what might a starting point for bodging, or even if you’ve got the skills and equipment to make one for me, that would be great.

Cheers!

pic and post below from mtbr

Update on shifter (posted also in Covert thread): My local expert mechanic (shoutout to Win at Win’s Wheels, Westlake Village, CA) was able to do a Graves-like shifter hack using a KS Southpaw, with the hack at the shifter end, not the post end. He took a small aluminum cylinder, ground one end to fit into the Southpaw, drilled a hole for a set screw, and voila! Love it…minimal throw, almost push-button-like.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I maybe wrong….. but I think that is what is known as a handlebar. 😉

wallop

What are we looking at?

twicewithchips
    Free Member
    gnusmas

Pretty sure it’s a handlebar grip. HTH 😀

AlexSimon

Might need to show us a before/after shot so we can be clear about the bit that’s handmade

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve always called them solderless nipples.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Oh, wait, its a kitchen cabinet leg isn’t it?

whitestone
    Free Member

The quoted thread on MTBR is about alternative dropper post levers

dovebiker

From the description sounds like some form of clamp-on nipple to go on the end of the cable?

Solderless nipple

nedrapier

solderless gear nipple. Thanks dovebiker! 😀

Not sure if that exact one will work, but there are plenty of others now I know what I’m looking for. Cheers again.

Onzadog
    Free Member

solderless gear nipple. Thanks dovebiker!

Not sure if that exact one will work, but there are plenty of others now I know what I’m looking for. Cheers again.

^^Ahem!

RobHilton
    Free Member

hack

😕 😕

OP reported for 2 violations of the verbal morality code.

nedrapier

Onzadog, one thousand apologies. I saw a the first few replies, then scanned down to see if anyone had got the point. My eyes were drawn to the underlining in the link to the mtbr thread, then the subsequent underlining in dovebiker’s post.

You were right all along, but you were just ahead of your time. I just didn’t get it back then. Maybe I needed to get used to the idea, read it somewhere else with a line underneath to realise how much sense it made and how god-damn… right it was. 😥

Sorry. And thanks.

joshvegas
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    solderless gear nipple. Thanks dovebiker!

Pervert

nedrapier

Rob, one hundred and twenty apologies for your hurt feelings.

given that it was a quotation, would you have preferred

was able to do a Graves-like shifter **** using a KS Southpaw, with the **** at the shifter end, not the post end

or

was able to do a Graves-like shifter hack [sic] using a KS Southpaw, with the hack [sic] at the shifter end, not the post end

?

nedrapier

Couldn’t find one the right size.

10cm brass rod from amazon, cut to size with hacksaw, put in a drill chuck and filed down to diameter. 1.25mm drill through lengthwise for the cable, 2.3mm drill through the end and tapped for M3 set screw grubnut.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

its called a knarp

Northwind

I’ve never seen one before. No-one has…

Pridds

Got one one in the spares tub that worked on a southpaw lever until i upgraded to a ReMote, if anyone needs one

onehundredthidiot

If that’s a command post isn’t there one at the other end? Just order from specialized spares.

nedrapier

Spesh lever, Thomson Post. S spares could have been good to know, but I’ve done it now!

onehundredthidiot

Only just seen thread. Did wonder why you wouldn’t spot it at the other end. 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What's one of these called? (or small piece machining help)’ is closed to new replies.