Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What's MIPS?
  • nbt

there’s a news feature on a new helmet (the Feature) with a new feature (MIPS) that’s so important the helmet company (Giro) have now taken a taken a stake in the company that make the feature (that’s the feature “MIPS”, not the Feature helmet)

It’s so important that obviously everyone knows what it is and who makes it.

well, not quite everyone. I certainly don’t. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether it’s something I should give the slightest **** about for reasons other than a half-arsed regurgitated press release lacking details?

Nobby

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warpcow
    Free Member

Giro are pretty late to the game with it. POC were the first I believe, for cycle helmets at least, then Scott shortly after, and I think Bell and Bontrager have something similar, if not MIPS-branded. There was a good article on it here.

Edit: not Bontrager, but the MIPS website has a pretty long list of companies that use it. The linked article says the other system is called AIM, but no helmets are out yet.

njee20
    Free Member

Form your own opinion

Their web designer needs shooting. What a truly atrocious website!

Interesting technology though, can’t see why you wouldn’t want it, presumably adds weight?

P20

Niece agreed that site is bad. Gave up when it crashed my ipad

kimbers

If you can find him maybe you can ask TJ

Nobby

Their web designer needs shooting. What a truly atrocious website!

That’s just your hatred of media/designer/photographer types kicking in again 😉

T’is bloody awful though isn’t it.

oldnpastit

If you can find him maybe you can ask TJ

I think he escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground….

warpcow
    Free Member

Wasn’t TJ’s big thing that helmets didn’t prevent rotaional injuries? If so, he should be claiming a cut from MIPs.

aP
    Free Member

TJ’s point was that helmets cause rotational injuries.
    Lazer have had a range of helmets for some years now with features to reduce rotation injuries.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s just your hatred of media/designer/photographer types kicking in again

😆

Don’t tell me Tim did it!?

Nobby

Looks more like Mr McCoy’s work to me – maybe not quite enough use of orange though. 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Agreed, the site is bloody awful! Got as far as it sliding back and forward a bit on impact, does it do sideways a well? More importantly, should my helmet be so tight on my head that it is incapable of rocking about a bit if I smash my head into something, because I don’t think I could do up the clip, maybe some sort of truck style ratchet straps would help…

scotroutes

Millions of Instructions Per Second, but folk tend to think in Gigaflops these days.

slowoldman

Well I certainly couldn’t be arsed reading any of it.

Kuco

What’s MIPS?

About an extra £50 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

So basically it’s a layer in the shell which allows the two layers to move independently?

GrahamS

TJ’s point was that helmets cause rotational injuries.

Which everyone dismissed as nonsense, but now it seems it is suddenly a big problem requiring new helmet designs. 😕

unklehomered
    Free Member

Helmet.50B?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What's MIPS?’ is closed to new replies.