• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by accu.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What's like the BFe but easier to pop up the front end?
  • johnhe

I love my BFe, but I sometimes wish the front end was easier to pop up – like my Marin Rocky Ridge, which just feels a little more fun. Is it because the RR has slightly shorter chain stays? Is there a lovely steel frame, with dropper sized seatpost, which is more poppable?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

technique?

Sorry to chuck the tough one in there first 🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

Tbh, the above. BFe has pretty short stays for a all-round bike anyway. Stuff like the Slackline and Surge have marginally shorter stays, but not enough to make a difference.

Could the difference between your two current bikes not mainly be in the relative length and height of the fronts?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Defo Technique – My Bfe pops up nicely.

brant
    Free Member

Tbh, the above. BFe has pretty short stays for a all-round bike anyway. Stuff like the Slackline and Surge have marginally shorter stays, but not enough to make a difference.

Could the difference between your two current bikes not mainly be in the relative length and height of the fronts?

BB height.
    Reach.
    Seat angle.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Use the same technique as on your Marin 😀

jimmy

To answer your question, a Mk1 Dialled Alpine. Wooahhh there!!

EDIT: Just thought, too (purely coincidence) a pal is selling his Mk1 frame (which are awesome). Email if interested.

johnhe

I find it hard to believe that my technique is worse on my BFe than my Marin. I just find the Marin more easily thrown around; lighter on the front end; easier to flick around. The BFe is a lovely bike, but less all out fun than the
    Marin. After riding the BFe, I obviously get used to it and can ride drop offs etc normally, but it requires more conscious effort than on the Marin. The Marin has a 140mm Talas, while the BFe has a 150mm Rev.

It was a bit of a shock when I went back to the Marin recently and found it so much fun. I’m thinking that instead of settling for the BFe, maybe I should just swap the frame. I bought the BFe frame used, so I should be able to sell it for pretty much what I bought it for.

I wondered if it was the head angle which made the difference? The BB height is definitely much higher on the BFe, but that doesn’t annoy me.

Would a Slackline be slacker or more poppable?

PiknMix
    Free Member

fwiw I had a Attack trail and am yet to find anything that rides like it. It was just such a good bike to manoeuvre.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Marin AXC frames are very high at front end with short stays, used to have a B-17 (AXC) and can’t really think of any other XC-ish bike with quite the same kind of geometry. P7 or 456 maybe?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not saying your technique is worse on one but it’s probably going to work out better if you get your head round why you can’t pop the Bfe and fix that rather than swapping frames.

accu
    Free Member

for me its the TT length/reach..
    last oktober I rebuild my trusty old stiffee (frame!)as winter hack bike..
    couldn`t believe how much fun it is..
    it easily pops up on the rear wheel…quite different to the BFe..
    technique is the same of course..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What's like the BFe but easier to pop up the front end?’ is closed to new replies.