Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What's it worth? (retro content)
  • happybiker
    Free Member

A 2001 Mtn Cycles San Andreas, used it a bit, then didn’t touch it for about 8 years. I just built it up for my wife with an rp23 shock, decent 9 speed kit and Marzocchi forks, Formula brakes etc. She doesn’t really ride and I’d rather make space (for a Stooge). What do frames go for these days? Shall I split it? I was thinking of trying Retrobike as it’s not a popular bike, but those that know what it is will appreciate it. Any ideas?

It obviously has a chain and the rest of the cables now fitted!

neilm
    Free Member

I should try it in the 98 section of Retrobike, there are guys over there who are really into San Andreas and other earlier DH bikes.

m360
    Free Member

I never did see one of those for real, didn’t think anyone had ever bought one!

Cool 8)

happybiker
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll give that a go. In the 6″ DH mode the bb is too high and it’s only good for low speed hucking! With a shorter shock it’s much better but there’s lots of pedal feedback in the granny ring with propedal off. The frame is a work of art though and very stiff.

mattbee

I loved mine to look at, with big chunky Stratos MX6 forks on it but by god it was a pig to ride.
    Sell the bits and keep the frame as a peice of cycling art.

duncancallum

Its an interesting bit of MTB history

happybiker
    Free Member

This was originally built with Stratos MX4’s with a 5″ upgrade and it survived a week in Les Gets. I might keep the frame until it’s really worth something.

JoeG
    Free Member

happybiker – Member

… I might keep the frame until it’s really worth something.

That may be never!

I’m into the retro MTBs a bit, but they have to be quite special to go for big $$$. Like a Klein with a fantastic fade paint, an early fillet brazed (by Tom himself) Ritchey, or a smaller brand with lots of niche parts (like Kooka cranks and brakes, for example.

The mainstream market stuff like your SA just doesn’t seem to appeal to enough people to bring in the big bucks even though it was top of the line when new. However, there’s a good chance that someone will buy it, fix it up, add it to their collection, and ride it a bit.

Retrobike +1.

boltonjon

Proper piece of MTB history that is 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What's it worth? (retro content)’ is closed to new replies.