• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What's it worth?
  • play
    Free Member

So according to bike magic or the Environment Transport Authority, each gram you save on the bike costs about £2.50.

linky

So what’s a saving of 100g on a component worth to you? I’m not sure i’d pay £250… I think it’s possible to save 100g on a pair of handlebars for about an extra £100, so is £1.00 per 1g a fair price?

weeksy

Depends on your start point with each item, i’ve just saved 180gr on my bars for a s/h set of MonkeLite XC carbons for £45.

andyl
    Free Member

tbh if you need something like new bars anyway then you can save 100g for £60 extra which is reasonable. But some parts don’t have much weight to lose – eg carbon seat posts don’t save much weight. It is all about if a material has better properties for that application to allow it to be designed lighter as well as just the material being lighter.

But if you want to buy silly light small parts then you are going to spend a disproportionate amount.

Spend your money where losing weight is either easier or more effective – eg frame and bars for most bang for the buck and wheels/tyres for most effective. Forget Ti bolts, lightweight skewers, chains etc.

As for that survey I think the method was somewhat flawed.

sugdenr
    Free Member

A few years back M-Sport found the cheapest weight savings (by a few million quid) were to be had by “putting Howard(Davies – co-driver and big bloke)on a diet”

and IIRC Lance Armstrong gained a significant climbing advantage when he reduced his uncessary upper body muscle.

br
    Free Member

Unfortunately my bike is so light already that my ratio is nearer £10 per gram…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What's it worth?’ is closed to new replies.