• This topic has 32 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What's it REALLY all about then?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This, I mean;

A big furry, stripey tiger? Eating all the food? Drinking all the drink?
    Is it because “Daddy” is clearly a spiv?

Perhaps it’s because “Mummy” is having a bit on the side with both the milkman AND the boy from the grocers? She certainly knows when they come.

Are they just hallucinating, and it was all just a cat. This one, perhaps?

Makes you think, doesn’t it?

daftvader
    Free Member

What I want to know is… Why they didn’t run off screaming when a sodding great tiger came into the house?

crankboy
    Free Member

Why did they let it drink all the beer .

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why they didn’t run off screaming when a sodding great tiger came into the house?

EXACTLY!

The footage is clearly faked.

senorj

Ha. Who knows?
    When I read it to Li’l J ,that bloke walking down the street is staggering home from the pub after drinking too much.
    We’ve now moved on to “spagetti with the yeti”….and the current fave , Lemony Snicket’s The Dark. 😀

somafunk

I’m not sure what’s going on?…. I bet jivehoneyjive will have a theory though……

Kryton57

Seeing as I know what you drink, I’ll have a double of what you’ve been drinking.

Cheers.

davosaurusrex

You can see the Dad is sitting in his chair and thinking “Oh dear, she’s had another one of her episodes. And why did I marry a woman with such short arms?”

twicewithchips
    Free Member

It’s great though isn’t it. I really like that the pictures seem to reflect a particular time – Rosie’s Walk does the same, but different vintage.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Seeing as I know what you drink, I’ll have a double of what you’ve been drinking.

*Pours*

🙂

You can see the Dad is sitting in his chair and thinking “Oh dear, she’s had another one of her episodes. And why did I marry a woman with such short arms?”

Brilliant!

ratherbeintobago

There’s no food in the house, and all the booze has gone.

It was a tiger.

I see.

davosaurusrex

I’d also like to read the follow up where they explain to the water company that a tiger has drained the local reservoir through their bath taps.

igm

I believe it’s about the rise of the Nazis in Germany.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the day dd jr. asks me to finally clarify whether it was the tiger that drank all the water or if in fact, it was the turtle whose name is Tiny Tim.

matt_outandabout

Tigers and small boys? There can be only one.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or small girls even.

daftvader
    Free Member

I’m with matt on this… Attack of the mutant killer snow goons is one of mine and minivaders favourites…. Back to the OP…. Another question… Why are they all looking so smug???

stuey
    Free Member

igm – has it…<spoiler alert>

mefty
    Free Member

At risk of invoking Godwin, potentially Nazi Germany, Judith Kerr’s family left just before the Nazis came to power, her father was on the death list, she also wrote “When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit”. Very nice lady, still out and about and working at 91.

EDIT: Apologies did not read whole thread

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

potentially Nazi Germany

A nice friendly, cuddly tiger?

Nah. Not buying that.

Spin
    Free Member

Allegory of fat cat bankers and their bonuses innit?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nah. Not buying that.

Nah, me neither. I think the whole linking it to Nazis, SS Officers, etc etc is bullshit. It’s a surreal tale of a tiger coming to tea with a plot more holey than a block of emmental. It’s bloody bizarre. And for some reason, kids bloody love it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kerr spent her early years in Berlin just before the start of the Third Reich and her father was on a death list because of his opposition to the Nazis. Michael Rosen, also a children’s author, claims the tiger could be based on her memory of the past threat: something that could have disrupted her life as a young child and taken everything the family owned.

“Judith knows about dangerous people who come to your house and take people away. She was told as a young child that her father could be grabbed at any moment by either the Gestapo or the SS – he was in great danger. So I don’t know whether Judith did it consciously or not – I wouldn’t want to go there – but the point is he’s a jokey tiger, but he is a tiger.”

Worst. Evidence. EVAH!

😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Was just about to post that bit. I’ve seen more concrete evidence in jivehoneyjive’s posts.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

We publish Tiger!
    Judith is amazing, she’s in her nineties now and regularly comes into the office. She’s amazingly rapid for a nonagenarian.
    We send editors and designer round to her house in Barnes now, where she gets them absolutely battered with very, VERY large brandies.

neilforrow

The Mog books are better tho!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh for christ’s sake, get one of them to ask her!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

..also, the Nazi thing is officially ‘bollocks’.
    On another mildly interesting note, 2014 was the best selling year for Tiger ever. Not bad for a book first published in 1968.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

OK, will get the inside track from her editor tomorrow. Though I suspect it will just be the standard “Tigers being central to the control structures of the political and religious elite” metaphor.
    Will report back.

scotroutes

PARKLIFE!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the control structures of the political and religious elite

JHJ must be warming up getting ready for this now!

I imagine (s)he looks like this.

mefty
    Free Member

Now you mention it there may be something in that she lives round the corner from the Elm Guest House so the tiger is obviously a metaphor for a lizard.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What's it REALLY all about then?’ is closed to new replies.