Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's Istanbul like?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

may have a day long lay over there on a flight i’m taking, what’s it like for a bit of sightseeing etc? Anything involving nourishment would be good…

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s no Constantinoble

lemonysam
    Free Member

Fascinating place, one of those city centres where virtually every time you turn a corner there’s something cool to see. Nourishment-wise you’ll be spoiled for choice, just find somewhere cheap where you can watch the world go by.

In terms of the main tourist spots I’d pick one and spend a morning there then just wander for the rest of the day – my choice would be the Hagia Sophia but topkapi, the blue mosque the fortresses are all good.

Cletus
    Free Member

I did a days tour on a free work day last year.

Went to Hagia Sophia in the morning then a cruise up and down the Bosporus in the afternoon

CountZero

Istanbul was Constantinople
    Now it’s Istanbul, not Constantinople
    Been a long time gone, Constantinople
    Why did Constantinople get the works?
    That’s nobody’s business but the Turks’

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Amazing place well worth a look.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

went there for a wedding a few years ago – ace city. historic, ancient, fascinating on one hand, and the best party city I’ve ever been to on the other.

Taxi drivers WILL fleece you to pieces though, but that ain’t the end of the world.

IHN

Hagia Sofia is one of the most incredible places I have ever been. It is, literally, awesome.

As for nourishment, get a fish butty from one of the golden boats by the Galata Bridge (10mins walk from the Hagia)

tonyg2003

It’s a great city. Pretty chaotic, crazy traffic but very atmospheric. See the sights mentioned above and take a boat ride on the Bosporus.

skellnonch
    Free Member

As everything above + the Cistern is pretty cool to visit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's Istanbul like?’ is closed to new replies.