Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What's Innerleithen like?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Few of us booked on an uplift day early Aug having never been before. We’ll have had a full day at Glentress the day before.

Only UK place we’ve done DH is Antur Stiniog (nearly always blue and red a few times), FOD and Hopton Woods…plus been to Portes Du Soleil 4 times. Prefer flow and speed with a few challenging bits as opposed to stupidly steep, wet, rooty etc. We’ll be on Cannonade Trigger/Orange 5/Lapierre Spicy – not DH bikes.

There seems to be 4 runs at Inners – what’s good and what will make me poo my pants?
    I really like the Stiniog setup – how does Inners compare? Thanks

rossburton
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the XC trails at Inners, they’re definitely more rocky and swoopy than some red XC lines. I guess apart from the climb the XC lines are like the blue / light red trails at BPW.

I don’t do DH so can’t comment on those lines apart from that looking at them terrified me. 🙂

t-p26
    Free Member

Most of the DH stuff IS twisty, rooty, stuff and not boat loads of hucking drops. Loads of lines on the uplifted hill, not all are waymarked, maybe best to take a long look at a map to get your bearings before you set off 🙂

cultsdave
    Free Member

Have a look hereTrailforks for trail info.

This app will show you some of the offpiste trails at Glentress to do as well as some of the stuff at Inners. Worth taking a trip up the Golfie too if you have the time. Also worth taking a wee pedal out to do some of the trails not just on the front of the hill when you do your uplift day.

dmorts

How do you plan to fill a full day at Glentress? Black then Red? Red x2? It’s not actually that long a trail.

GT Red then Inners Red is more than doable in a day, you could even ride between the two. Glentress in the morning/afternoon then local options (e.g. Gypsy Glen) in the afternoon/morning could be good

chrishc777
    Free Member

Steep techy and rooty. My fave place to ride possibly!

br
    Free Member

How do you plan to fill a full day at Glentress?

Easily done:
    – Red
    – Café
    – Back to mast then descend to the Hydro on the off-piste stuff
    – Back to mast and boundary trail/hush-hush/troute etc

And Inners is ace, far more to it than the few named DH trails. Take a look at Strava.

doubledunter
    Free Member

How do you plan to fill a full day at Glentress? Black then Red? Red x2? It’s not actually that long a trail.

Obviously dont know it as well as you think, all depends on how much climbing you want to do and type of trails you want to ride,the red trails are in a heliver state imo, puddles everywhere but you could easily spend hours at Gt and not ride the same trail twice, me personally I’d rather do a mixture of Inners off piste and golfie for a good day out.

There seems to be 4 runs at Inners

😯

Inners is a warren of trails, youll be missing out if you just stick to the dh trails

fingerbang
    Free Member

fingerbang
    Free Member

inners is amazing mate, a lot better than Stiniog IMHO. You’ll have a whale of a time I think you get about 8-10 runs on the uplift and you can session the lower section when they have a lunch break. Its about a 45 min push up to the top of the trails. I love that hill!

its been a few years since Ive been but that’s only cos of having a young family etc

gold run and cresta run are steep, rooty , twisty, natural – pretty much the best place I’d been to in the country for that sort of thing until Revolution bike park.

the matador has a few 6 -8 foot drops but they’re well signposted and a few doubles and bus stops towards the bottom

If you’re on trail bikes then you may end doing ‘make or break’ the most as its the most ‘trail centre’ of the lot, its got a few 4feet rock drops if my memory serves my correctly but is bags of fun.

loads of riding for a day – you’ll have a blast. I wish I was going.

rascal
    Free Member

4 ft drops!? That’s big for us!

legend
    Free Member

I can’t think of anything that big on Make or Brake tbh. There’s a couple of doubles to look out for, the a few drops on Caddon Bank but nothing really of much note. Just don’t be sucked into doing that trail all day as you see some doing, it’s just typical trail centre and there are far better options to find

gavstorie
    Free Member

Must rides…

Green Wing
    Upper Quarry Enduro
    Ali Lees
    Not for poofs
    Barts Trail
    Salmons Journey
    Hoggers Delight
    Date Night
    Make or break
    Gold Run
    Cresta

For starters anyway 🙂

oldschool

Just make sure you only pay 2/3rds for the uplift as you only get uplifted 2/3rds up, and have to push the rest.

poah
    Free Member

You spend longer having a shit than walking up to the top of the trails after you’ve been dropped off. You can’t physically be dropped at the top anyway

oldschool

Sorry half my post disappeared. There was a wink. I also went on to say the trails are good, but in terms of setup. It is night and day compared to Stiniog.
    Coach to get up so have to wait for everyone rather than the super slick minibus set up at Stiniog.
    It not a bad place, but there’s better when your paying. Stiniog, revs (which is my favourite) hampsterly all have a slicker operation on the day.

And that shit you take, it’s in Tardis at inners.

bigjim

Coach to get up so have to wait for everyone

Never had that in my experience, it goes regularly whether you’re on it or not

julzm
    Free Member

I did the uplift at inners end of Feb on my bronson. I dont like big drops or the mega steeps. There was nothing I couldn’t ride. Yep there are big drops on some runs but everything is avoidable. Definitely don’t just do the DH runs cos there is just so much good stuff there. Green wing is one of my favourites these days. The pedal up is worth it just for that down.

And if you like fast flowy stuff, you definitely need to do flat white at the golfie (plus the other stuff there is just so varied and overall ace). I’d go to the golfie rather than GT on a weekend.

Also no issues with timing of filling the bus etc, you could pick and choose if you wanted to be on it or not, they didn’t wait for it to be filled.

legend
    Free Member

ever had that in my experience, it goes regularly whether you’re on it or not

I think that was the point he was making. At the other centres there’s no hanging around for the bus, you get on the next one that comes along and it goes. At Inners you can be sitting around for a fair while before its time to move again

dmorts

I know GT red like the back of my hand, I was being deliberately coy about the off peak stuff as I’m not sure what’s official unofficial or hush hush if you get my drift

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Wow…a guy has a day on Inners DH and is asking about it, yet how many comments above are about Glentress, Golfie and inners xc?!

Inners DH has loads of flow. The rooty forest stuff is ace, really quick. You’ve 4 main waymarked lines but loads of options on top of that. You don’t need a map to have a good day here.

Generally it’s not the roughest DH you’ll find and it suits wee bikes very well. Couple of smooth 8ft drops on Matador. I find Make or Break a bore/slog. Some amazing off-map trails that you can squeeze in if you like. And see how cleanly you can jump the road gap!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

oldschool – Member
    Just make sure you only pay 2/3rds for the uplift as you only get uplifted 2/3rds up, and have to push the rest.

You don’t have to push anywhere, start from the drop-off road.

onehundredthidiot

It can get rooty and twisty. Anytime I’ve started a “route” I’ve finished on another.
    It’s a talent.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What's Innerleithen like?’ is closed to new replies.