Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • What's in your… first aid kit?!
  • Tiger6791

Antiseptic wipes
    Dressing
    Duct tape fixes body parts aswell
    Nurofen
    Butterfly stitches

What more do you need?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

skidartist – Member
    I remember when I did my first aid badge as a cub scout one of the things on our checklist for a first aid kit as a 2p coin. Somehow I never grasped the point of the coin was for making a phone call, and until quite recently I imagined there must be some sort of esoteric and archaic first aid procedure that required a small grubby disk of copper.

Not a first aid use for a coin, but a genuine (if very, very old fashioned use of a coin) on babies with umbilical hernias used to be to use a largish coin to help hold the hernia in place if it could be reduced. I think things have got more hi-tech nowadays, and I don't think I saw this used more than twice in 20 odd years.

Re space blankets, they're sometimes not the best:
    Here

I usually have a bright orange "survival bag" type affair, agree bigger & heavier than a space blanket but TBH an extra clothing layer might be more useful for most situations.

lowey

Drac is a really small dude who I pack up and put him in my camelback. All you ever need.

On a more serious note, I seem to remember being told that some glue, tape and a sanitary towel is about all you need. Any more than that then call the pro's (see above about Drac).

stevomcd
    Free Member

For guiding:

Couple of big military dressings
    Steri strips
    Duct tape
    Antiseptic (in a wee tiny bottle)
    Swabs (for using with the antiseptic)

And, because I get asked for them all the time when MTFU would be my personal response:

Selection of plasters/small dressings

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Duct tape
    Zip ties
    Puncture repair patches
    Water in water bottle
    Money to buy pain killing booze

Don't have a specific First Aid kit but used the above for first aid (apart from zip ties – maybe they could fix a limb back on?) in the past.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I tend to carry some plasters, dressings, tape and some antiseptic. Just invested in a bivvi bag type thing for days walking / riding in the peaks.

Think some steri-strip type things might be useful…where do you lot get them from?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Since going out with no phone for a quick spin round town…and cutting open my knee down to the bone, followed by A&E, I carry a small bit of paper with friends/relatives numbers on. Couldn't remember anyones' number at all.. 🙁 …damn you, word based phone number storage interfaces!

smogmonster

One Ambulance Dressing. End of story. It'll (help) stop life threatening bleeding, and it can tie 2 legs together or make a sling. Its all you need. Anything else is fairly pointless guff.

crikey
    Free Member

Nurse of 23 years, Mountain biker of 22 years here;

Duct tape.

If you can't fix it with duct tape, phone for help.

Antiseptic wipes? no use at all.

Space blanket? Rubbish; if you want protection, take a big emergency bivvy style plastic survival bag.

Steristrips? Use duct tape, it sticks better.

…and duct tape can be used to fix your bike too.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What's in your… first aid kit?!’ is closed to new replies.