• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jecca.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • whats hot in the world of rear shocks
  • jecca
    Free Member

any advice for choosing a new rear shock? thankyou.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Push Elevensix

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

… the coil in trail bikes…:

Why are coil shocks making a comeback?

Downhiller always loved the coil shock.
    We might soon see coils in trail bikes again!
    😉

vongassit
    Free Member

Chicken phall if you want a hot rear shock.

chakaping
    Free Member

any advice for choosing a new rear shock? thankyou.

Best advice I can give is, when asking for recommendations it’s best to include some deets about your bike, riding style and preferences.

😉

jecca
    Free Member

that elevensix is a lot of pennies, a real shame they don’t have an option for my frame yet 😉
    i could be tempted by a coil this time around. there is a lot of choice available these days but the marketing bull promises the same thing for every shock

what makes a pushed van rc better or worse than an ohlins ttx, cane creek db etc
    or ohlins stx over rockshox debonair or fox x2 for example

andyrm
    Free Member

So many different variables that decide what works well for you and your bike, but I’m loving my Vivid R2C Coil. It’s got a Nukeproof SLS spring, Ti Springs spring bearing and just about to have the new Sprung Suspension low friction bushes fitted. About 250g penalty over a similarly capable air shock but massively improved performance.

But it depends what type of riding you do, what bike you have etc whether a coil is the solution for you!

Maybe have a chat with Jake at Sprung Suspension, he’s incredibly knowledgeable about setup across pretty much all the brands so could provide some really good advice I’d have thought 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

what makes a pushed van rc better or worse than an ohlins ttx, cane creek db etc
    or ohlins stx over rockshox debonair or fox x2 for example

Well that’s a bit of an open question, but in my experience a Pushed Van will give a lively but composed ride with very good support and excellent grip.

A CCDB Coil or TTX can make it feel like the rocks and roots are melting beneath your wheels and give amazing grip and traction.

The X2 is very close to that level, the STX can also give superb grip is noticeably less supple. Ridden both of those quite a lot actually.

RustyNissanPrairie

Avalanche Racing.

jecca
    Free Member

So many different variables that decide what works well for you and your bike

this gets mentioned when talking about rear shocks but brands are suggesting that their shocks are allrounders suitable for everyone.

excluding the extremes of riding what are some of the variables and which shocks suit?

andyrm
    Free Member

Kinematics, riding style, type of terrain you ride on, type of riding you do, rider weight, front/rear ride bias, to name a few!

jecca
    Free Member

aren’t you talking about a shock tune, rather than the difference between shocks

BoardinBob

Vivid R2C coil is ridiculously good. Truly fit and forget. Mega plush, great damping, consistent performance

andyrm
    Free Member

aren’t you talking about a shock tune, rather than the difference between shocks

They all have their own characteristics, and while there’s an element of tuning in there, it also boils down to finding the best for you.

What bike and what sort of riding do you do, and where?

andyrm
    Free Member

Vivid R2C coil is ridiculously good. Truly fit and forget. Mega plush, great damping, consistent performance

I thought my 36 was running amazingly until I fitted the Vivid, all of a sudden it felt completely outgunned. Nothing an MRP Ramp Control cartridge and a damper rebuild couldn’t sort, but it was uncanny how much the shock showed this up.

As you say, the Vivid is ridiculous – absolutely monster trucks through choppy, rocky, rooty terrain, and I also find I feel less beaten up after a big ride. No way I could go back to air now!

Northwind

Trek/Fox/Penske DRCV re:activ kashima. Doesn’t need external reservoirs or any of that stuff, just provides the best rear suspension I’ve ever had on anything including 2 CCDBs. On the other hand, it only fits in a Remedy 29 so that’s probably not ideal

Stevelol
    Free Member

Check out the dvo topaz too.

My 2p: pushed and tuned rp23 worked very well on my 5010.

psycorp
    Free Member

Had a Vivid R2C with Nukeproof SLS spring (BTW the convex shape of the SLS spring is supposed to eliminate compression twist so you don’t need a spring bearing). Thought it was fab, so much better than the Monarch Plus it replaced.

Then I got a CCDB-CS as a backup shock, used but newly rebuilt with 2017 internals. It felt as plush as the Vivid on my frame, was over 300g lighter and had way more adjustment.

Sold the Vivid.

YMMV.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Extreme shock EXT Storia Lock

jecca
    Free Member

They all have their own characteristics

are they a secret?
    there must be nearly 10 coil and 20 air shocks that are aimed at trail riding. What are the characteristics of your vivid that stop it from being trail friendly compared to a CCDB inline for instance, can it be tuned to be an allrounder or is it DH freeride only as marketed

andyrm
    Free Member

I use mine on an Enduro bike, ride it for just about everything including trails. As it doesn’t have a platform switch, some bikes and riders might struggle with it depending on their riding style (ie standing up mashing pedals on climbs rather than seated winching) and how the bike’s kinematics are too.

So it’s not so much about being “not trail friendly” as being focused more at the gravity end, with a big damper, not light weight and no platform. But it’s very much horses for courses.

I’d definitely say it’s worth seeing Jake at Sprung in the FoD as he can do setup days, video analysis etc and from there make recommendations as to what will work best for you 🙂

jecca
    Free Member

that would be an interesting mag test, get all the shock gurus to pick their favourite shock and tune them for 1 frame and 1 rider over an allrounder style trail

i will be getting advice from the local suspension place too, i’m looking for a bit more tech on individual shocks for now so i can geek out on information overload

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘whats hot in the world of rear shocks’ is closed to new replies.