Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What's happened to Truvativ Hammerschmidt?
  • dogthomson

Just wondered what’s happened to Truvativ Hammerschmidt? They were being touted as The Next Big Thing™ but I can’t recall many new bikes being specced with them. I know the system is expensive, but is that it?

Anyone got any first hand experience with ’em? The concept really appeals to me so I’d be interested in hearing people’s thoughts.

phiiiiil

It always seemed to me to be an awful lot of money to replace the front mech that works well, rather than the rear one that is far more problematic. I’d sooner spend the money on 8 or 11 gears from an Alfine or somesuch than just two from the hammerschmidt…

nickc

1. It weighs a lot, 1.6kg.
    2. the resistance built into it was something to behold
    3. It only works on certain suss deigns.
    4. it needs ISCG mounts
    5. It solves a problem that doesn’t exist in the real world
    6. It’s v. expensive.

supertacky
    Free Member

Wot nickc said.

Solution to a problem that didnt exist, which created different problems…

Chainline
    Free Member

Have any of you quoting all the issues tried one?

I have one and don’t recognises many of them
    ISCG needed yes
    Heavy, to an extent, but not particularly so when considering its aimed at a double+bash+chain guides set up and the advantages over a similarly robust setup are there, its like saying dropper seat posts are heavy, 500g on a bike designed for AM use is nothing.
    It is indeed expensive but shouldn’t break and provides loads of clearance so less change of rock strikes.
    I cant say it feels like there is much resistance in mine, certainly no more than when using a chain guide setup. But frankly I cant tell between it and my normal setup.

I had the problem that doesn’t exist quite a lot this year in the alps, and wish I had it then.

I don’t have any axe to grind as it was on the bike when I bought it, I didn’t choose it, but having used it objectively I think it is great for its intended market and use, not for everything.

messiah
    Free Member

Love it. On the right kind of bike there is no downside.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What's happened to Truvativ Hammerschmidt?’ is closed to new replies.