Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What's happened at BC?
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

As it says, after the Shane Sutton news, what has happened? I’m waiting to renew a membership.

footflaps

They’re busy celebrating have no riders qualify for the Rio Olympics XC.

dragon
    Free Member

Review is ongoing BBC Sport

But on Jess Varnish she is dropped regardless, following a meeting with the new technical director.

akira

Read something about xc riders having to do road races instead of earning points in uci xc races. Pi$$ poor effort on behalf of mtbing as usual.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s OK, Bomber will sort everything out!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They will be back to praising the 42nd place at a cat c Road race while brits podium in wc dh again. Don’t worry normal service will be resumed.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Once Jess Varnish’s story broke, others said similar. It wasn’t just her. And whistlblowers always get shown the door. It’s taken a month or so to start the investigation.

So who else is good for insurance?

footflaps

They should just rename themselves Able Bodied Track Cycling and be done with it.

akira

Odd that in downhill and enduro where they have zero interest or very little input is where we do quite well.

kimbers

Yup BC leaving Enduro was probably a good thing

Trimix
    Free Member

So if they don’t send anyone for the MTB event, cant we have a whip round and send someone. I would go and I’m sure others who are actually worthy of the event would be up for it.

Sod BC, let the public who pay for it, send someone.

twistedpencil

Not sure you can self fund the Olympics, however you could for worlds events in the past, this seems to have changed recently, see Tre Whyte and BMX, self funded a couple of years ago and came back W3, just missed selection this year and BC won’t allow self funding, which means he can’t gain the points for Olympic qualification and we miss out on places. Just depressing.

Dougal
    Free Member

It’s not a case of not-sending someone, it’s a case of not having any places to send someone to fill.

Here is the list of countries with qualified places:

http://mtbcrosscountry.com/olympic-games-qualification-points.html

ferrals
    Free Member

But the reason we don’t have a place to fill is because BC wouldn’t send riders to preivous world cups/champs (as I understand it). From memory of past articles, even if riders were willing to self fund, you have to be selected for the world champs by your NGB and BC neglectd to select a full squad.

I wonder if Grant F could get a wildcard to the Olympics though as it seems you can apply for them (Sagan is apparently) and with his results in the world cup this year (17th and 15th) it would be reasonable to make the case. Then again BC probably need to do the paperwork!

Trimix
    Free Member

BC = “Bloody crap”

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll be moving to Cycling UK when my BC membership expires.

They appear to offer similar legal cover, if that’s what you’re after OP?

And they’re getting more involved in MTB issues.

epicyclo

I was under the impression Varnish was still training – in Oz.

Be ironic if she gets picked up by Australia for the Olympics, they have fast tracked athletes before for the same reason.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks chap

(edit) I just joined.

nickc

It’s not a case of not-sending someone, it’s a case of not having any places to send someone to fill.

they could have sent UK riders, but they didn’t as they haven’t got (for instance) XC mountain bikers on the BC/sky programme, and it is thought that riders outside that programme don’t get chosen in case 1) they do better than BC/Sky riders, 2) they are not BC/Sky riders…

so it’s all a bit of a self forfilling prophecy.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ll be moving to Cycling UK when my BC membership expires.

They appear to offer similar legal cover, if that’s what you’re after OP?

And they’re getting more involved in MTB issues.

I can say categorically that there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes on the access front – how much of this will come to fruition is hard to know, some of these issues have been chuntering away unsettled for years so will take time to turn around – still, I think that actually sitting down at the tables that need sitting down at, with the biggest landowners and national parks etc. Is a leap forward, so progress is being made.

chakaping
    Free Member

You and I have been working on something with them together actually ninfan.

Hope that’s not blown your cover or anything.

😉

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve been riding long enough to remember when BC, or bcf as it was then, was asked about running MTB races, (they were then run by the mountain bike club of GB) and their official quote was something like “we are not interested in mountain biking, we view it as a passing fad, like skateboarding”
    Somethings never change, BC will always be a bunch of ****.

ninfan
    Free Member

indeed Chakaping

epicyclo

uselesshippy – Member
    …Somethings never change, BC will always be a bunch of ****.

C’mon, you can say it – “BC will always be a bunch of roadies.”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What's happened at BC?’ is closed to new replies.