Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • What's good to eat when youve got the squits?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Even that slice of dry wholemeal bread provoked a reaction after 15 minutes. Although 15 minutes is an improvement over yesterday.

Trouble is, I’m famished. What can I eat? Currently have a hankering for digestive biscuits but there’s none in the house.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Imodium

LHS
    Free Member

Canned Pumpkin

Bucko

Nothing. I always starve myself for at least 24 hours and then only eat small portions of dry toast, scrambled eggs or bananas for a day until I’m sure the squirs have gone.

Get some Dioralyte to stop you getting dehydrated.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Drink water, eat nothing. If you feel like it add some dehyration salts but to be honest they probably are of limited use to anyone in good health in this country. I’d avoid Imodium or anything like that unless you have to be away from the loo for extended periods. This is one situation where the phrase “better out than in” really does apply

Harry_the_Spider

Important note : I am not a doctor.

organic355
    Free Member

I heard scrambled eggs were good.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

harry, close…

Onzadog
    Free Member

HtS, that’s actually a very tempting idea.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Eat honey and drink water.

rt60

Plain boiled rice.

cranberry
    Free Member

sandwicheater

I go on a purge if I’m visited by the squit monster. Water for 24hrs then back to business.

jonba
    Free Member

Don’t eat. Rehydration salts like diarolyte are good. If you must eat then dry toast – with a good dose of loperamide hydrochloride.

jekkyl

5 day old prawns that have been left on the radiator.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

just stay away from prunes.

globalti
    Free Member

I got a sudden attack of diarrhoea in Dubai so I dashed into a mall and asked a chemist for Lomotil. He told me there was no Lomotil in the country (!) and gave me something that he said would sort me out. I took it and within 15 minutes was running for the bogs again…. and again…. and again…. and when I eventually felt brave enough to leave the mall and go back to my hotel I looked the drug up on Google and discovered that the barsteward had given me was Motilium, which is used to encourage the stomach to empty in the case of bloating! It certainly did the trick anyway, I didn’t go for about three days after that.

Freester

Chickpeas. Or sweetcorn.

Give me a shout when you’ve tried it.

titusrider
    Free Member

plain boiled rice + 1

got me going again after 8 days of food poisoning

bigyinn
    Free Member

Diced carrots?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Crisps, tortilla chips, etc. Anything with sharp edges should do the trick.

porlus
    Free Member

This worked for me once. Its an ayurvedic remedy, and didnt taste that bad.

Boiled rice mixed into natural yoghurt, splash of lemon juice and salt to taste.

Think the theory is the rice bungs you up. Yoghurt adds bacteria to your gut to help fight the cause of the poopeh. Lemon juice for vitamins, and salt to rehydrate.
    Cured my week long trots anyhow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the rehydration salts are good, if you don’t have any some weak energy drink may help to sustain you without too much bad effect.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bran flakes, banana & currants, with milk

speed12
    Free Member

Pretzels are meant to be good apparently – dry, ‘inert’, and salty.

Second plain rice as an option as well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Imodium

Thats the most silly thing to do.

If you have the squits its because your body is trying to get rid of some thing nasty. Taking a tablet that makes you keep the nastyness inside is just not good.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Body is currently getting rid of a lot of badness. I just can’t work out when I’ve put that much badness in!

brakes
    Free Member

Taking a tablet that makes you keep the nastyness inside is just not good.

I’ve heard this line trotted* out and some GPs say it too, but how bad is it? I often take immodium-type tablets when squitty and it seems to speed up the recovery process.

*punny pun

Sui
    Free Member

took me 3.5 hours to drive my normal hour commute home one morning after the squits (was also vomiting like a trooper), just starve yourself for 24-48 hours if you can.

WHATEVER YOU DONT EAT DAIRY FOR A FEW DAYS AFTER – you’ll be back to square one.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m dealing with this right now! I’ve not ate anything for 2 days and was going to try some toast.

It’s the worst feeling ever.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Read your norovirus thread. Fortunately, I’m not that bad at the moment. Honestly thought my days were numbered last time I had that. Just wanted the ground to swallow my up as was curled up on it.

KonaTC

Dry Toast has worked for me in the past; stay away from fatty and/or spicy foods; try and eat a little and often and drink plenty of fluids.

Make sure you have ‘nice’ toilet roll… …no one want’s a sore bottom 😳

osteo1
    Free Member

Avoid common allergens like gluten dairy and peanuts as your gut is more permeable to these when you have diarrhea (especially dairy!!!). Plain boiled rice would be a good start, or some other slow release carbs. Also half a teaspoon of salt in a large glass of water to replace some of the salts you have lost. You can’t taste that little in that much water btw. No immodium unless you need to leave the vicinity of the toilet. It really does ‘keep the nastiness inside’
    Good luck

mattrgee
    Free Member

Lots and lots of curry. Trust me. 😉

beefheart
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

It really does ‘keep the nastiness inside’

what does this mean? and what are the repercussions?

tuffty
    Free Member

Massive build up of pressure, then Armageddon 🙂

KonaTC

[/quote]

Diarrhoea affects most people from time to time and is usually caused by gastroenteritis which is highly infectious. It is mainly spread when bacteria found in faeces are transferred to your mouth usually through poor hygiene.

As an example, if someone does not wash their hands after going to the toilet and opens the toilet door any viruses or bacteria on their hands will be transferred to the door which you have to use to get out of the toilet…..

Need I go on?

mogrim

Diarrhoea affects most people from time to time and is usually caused by gastroenteritis which is highly infectious. It is mainly spread when bacteria found in faeces are transferred to your mouth usually through poor hygiene.

As an example, if someone does not wash their hands after going to the toilet and opens the toilet door any viruses or bacteria on their hands will be transferred to the door which you have to use to get out of the toilet…..

Need I go on?

What’s that got to do with whether “keeping it all inside” helps or hinders you getting better, though?

brakes
    Free Member

exactly. how can other people get infected if it’s in my digestive system? surely if you’re pebble-dashing the bathroom or the inside of your trouser leg when on the bus the risk of infection is greater?
    I haven’t mastered the art of opening the toilet door with my colon yet.

if it’s going to eat away at my small intestine then fair enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘What's good to eat when youve got the squits?’ is closed to new replies.